Book Depository UK
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 5:52 am 

Not really a gaming book dealer rant rather a horror/general book dealer rant. Wans't sure where it might go so here looks good, move at your discretion Moderators. I've been trying to complete a collection of William Hope Hodgeson works - Night Shade books released his works years ago in a 5 volume hardcover set and I missed the boat so trying to catch up. Thought I'd found a great deal on Volume 3 as advertised through Book Depository UK on Amazon (apparently this and book 4 go for big bucks, like in the range of $400 plus) and the Depository had a copy listed in the $30 range. I paid and waited with anticipation and what did I receive? A copy of Book 5?! Repeated attempts to inform them and prove (I have a screen shot of the original order showing Book 3 as being listed for sale) they sent the wrong book has fallen on deaf ears. They repeatedly claim I ordered book 5 not 3, they'll only refund if I return the book at my expense and have no interest in resolving the issue by sending the correct book. Maybe they're a reputable dealer and some of you here have done business with them, maybe I'm just a stupid "Yank" and hey I'm a 1,000 plus miles away so what am I going to do about it anyway? Looks like I'll be scratching them off my list of book sources but they apparently don't care about the loss of any business! Oh well onward with my search  :evil:

Politician, Tree, Rope...Some Assembly Required

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:39 pm 

This appears to be a running scam with at least a few online retailers. Sometimes, the same "mistaken" listing reappears again & again, all while they refuse to respond to direct questions.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:32 pm 

If you bought it via Amazon, getting a return accepted shouldn't be too hard.

Areas of interest/knowledge: Harn, WFRP, Ars Magica, anything BRP based such as CoC, Runequest, Pendragon and all their related games