Help needed regarding value estimate
Author

Collector

Post Posted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:58 am 

Hi,

I'm in need for help regarding estimate of the value of certain item:

Sometimes in 2001 I purchased Player's Handbook, Dungeon Master Guide and Monster Manual, version 3.0 of the D&D game. Since I could not find the community in my country I left all books untouched and barely open.

That is until recently when I decided to sell them, but to my suprise Player's Handbook had a huge misprint: the book is upside down in regards to the hardcover, in other words you open the book by openning last back cover not the front.

In other systems like Magic the Gathering or stamps this was rarity and quite valuable, but I'm not sure how valuable that is in D&D.

I also could not find any similar example online of this type of anomaly.

Thank you in advance for your input!

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:44 am 

Hi malchos, two comments on your request: one is that you'd post such question in the appraisal forum, and this is a neutral answer... the bad news is that your misprinted copy is not likely valuable...

For a similar question in the recent past, pls have a glance here: Fiend Folio 1981, but printed upside down?

best

I am the servant of the Secret Maps, Wielder of the flame of Clone!
You cannot quote! The dark spam will not avail you, flame of Udun.
Go back to the Shadow! You... cannot... post!!!

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:02 pm 

Actual misprints of many sorts can be quite valuable. They are normally avoided by 'press proofs' (tight inspection of the first sheets printed).

Binding errors (such as this) occur far more frequently, because to find them books would have to be opened an examined. Many are found and simply destroyed. A specimen usually has small added value as a Curiosity but is not a collectible.

F

My friends Dave & Gary made a quantum leap in the human soul. Remember them.