Non-TSR just ended on eBay
Author

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:20 pm 

Booty and the Beasts, Book of the Dragons and Infernax.

Thought they looked pretty cool and then Whoa!!!

** eBay auction listing blocked.  Please enable cookies in your browser for this site and for eBay! **

** eBay auction listing blocked.  Please enable cookies in your browser for this site and for eBay! **

I'm going to put this right out there with it. I would love to own these but I don't collect at this level, so this is not a scoffing post at what someone else did pay. That BatB is the nicest one I've seen so far (but I haven't been into this as long as most of you). I thought I'd get lucky and snatch that for around $150 or less - boy, was I wrong ;)

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:58 pm 

Booty use to run $200-$250 for one in good shape so this isn't too far out - I haven't been keep up but I don't recall to many for sale in the last few years.

Book of Dragons I would have said $100-$150 and nice Infernax for $300-$350.

Overall, not outrageous final prices - the rares really do maintain their value.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:23 pm 

Well I'm sorry I missed that last auction. Long shot but if anyone has an Infernax they'd like to sell, please lmk!

I draw the line at collecting... D&D beach towels.

Shoulda been: ".. from Pangreenia to Floratopolis, from mystical Treeonia of spectral Forests to Schruborial dimensions." - The Forests of Leng

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:07 pm 

Thunderdave wrote in Non-TSR just ended on eBay:Well I'm sorry I missed that last auction. Long shot but if anyone has an Infernax they'd like to sell, please lmk!

Yeah, I'd prefer a two-fer:  Infernax + Black Vial ;)

Allan.

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:50 am 

Yes, I didn't want to put this under the two typical posts since they weren't current listings and I didn't know if this would be considered a high amount for these. I thought Booty would go $100 or better but had no idea on the other two.

They just had that look to me of good stuff though, maybe I'm getting a little 6th Sense on some of this  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:37 pm 

Mister Yuk wrote in Non-TSR just ended on eBay:Yes, I didn't want to put this under the two typical posts since they weren't current listings and I didn't know if this would be considered a high amount for these.

I thought there was a long-running thread for this purpose entitled "The One that Got Away" or something like that, but I cannot find it now. Maybe people will start adding similar items to this thread.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:18 pm 

sauromatian wrote in Non-TSR just ended on eBay:
Mister Yuk wrote in Non-TSR just ended on eBay:Yes, I didn't want to put this under the two typical posts since they weren't current listings and I didn't know if this would be considered a high amount for these.

I thought there was a long-running thread for this purpose entitled "The One that Got Away" or something like that, but I cannot find it now. Maybe people will start adding similar items to this thread.

I think this may be the thread you're referring to -

the one that got away....

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:03 am 

Skullhammer wrote in Non-TSR just ended on eBay:
I think this may be the thread you're referring to -

the one that got away....

I thought that one was just for TSR though

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:15 am 

The "got away" thread is really more for stuff you bid on and lament losing, or otherwise missed out on.  A place to share commiseration with your fellow collectors, rather than an ongoing archive of old auctions (of either TSR or non-TSR stuff).

Allan.

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:18 pm 

grodog wrote in Non-TSR just ended on eBay:The "got away" thread is really more for stuff you bid on and lament losing, or otherwise missed out on.  A place to share commiseration with your fellow collectors, rather than an ongoing archive of old auctions (of either TSR or non-TSR stuff).

Allan.

Thanks Allan for the clarification. Not much lamentation from me on this. If someone is willing to pay more, then they're more deserving than I am. I work Local Auctions, cash is king.

As I read through this site and others I'll pick up on what's worthwhile and the pricing on it. Always something to learn...

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:03 pm 

Mister Yuk wrote in Non-TSR just ended on eBay:
grodog wrote in Non-TSR just ended on eBay:The "got away" thread is really more for stuff you bid on and lament losing, or otherwise missed out on.  A place to share commiseration with your fellow collectors, rather than an ongoing archive of old auctions (of either TSR or non-TSR stuff).

Allan.

Thanks Allan for the clarification. Not much lamentation from me on this. If someone is willing to pay more, then they're more deserving than I am. I work Local Auctions, cash is king.

As I read through this site and others I'll pick up on what's worthwhile and the pricing on it. Always something to learn...

For me, the lamentation comes long afterwards.  For example, there was a Spectrum computer game that I wanted for my collection and after months of identifying this want, I finally saw it on eBay.  There was another buyer out there that was slightly more crazed than I, since he/she ultimately ended up paying more than 10x what the game should've gone for under the best "normal" circumstances.  I *could've* gone higher, but an optimistic feeling came over me and I decided to not grossly overpay, because surely I'll have another shot at this item.  This was 8 years ago, lol ... I've never seen it available again.  I lament the fact that I chose not to max out on that bad boy ... hindsight is 20/20 ...

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:55 pm 

For me, the lamentation comes long afterwards.  For example, there was a Spectrum computer game that I wanted for my collection and after months of identifying this want, I finally saw it on eBay.  There was another buyer out there that was slightly more crazed than I, since he/she ultimately ended up paying more than 10x what the game should've gone for under the best "normal" circumstances.  I *could've* gone higher, but an optimistic feeling came over me and I decided to not grossly overpay, because surely I'll have another shot at this item.  This was 8 years ago, lol ... I've never seen it available again.  I lament the fact that I chose not to max out on that bad boy ... hindsight is 20/20 ...

There's always another one.
I still can't believe my Black Vial sat in a red Basic boxed set for about a decade without me even knowing I had it. Like everyone else, I am pretty good about making sure everything is present. It is possible my wife grabbed it at a thrift store or something and just plopped the box in with the others and forgot to tell me. She does that. Standing order is to buy anything RPG-related without asking. The classic one:
"Hey, I bought this box of D&D stuff from Diane for $10. Is it worth anything?". Uh, yeah, the super-nice 2nd print woody might be worth a little............

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:31 pm 

*sigh* Many have gotten away.  I'm sure there will be many more.

But I try to remember the  8O moments.  My oldest son and I found an amazing condition true first printing of the AD&D PHB at a Half Price Books.  This was before they knew what to look for and was priced accordingly.  Made a tidy profit on that auction.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:12 pm 

Skullhammer wrote in Non-TSR just ended on eBay:

Yeah, I won't say never and I have one of those memories too. A guy offered me a '69 Mercury Cougar (the James Bond car) when I was 17 for $500. He was my age and had the car about a year and drove the sh.. out of it. Probably went through three sets of back tires on it before he blew the tranny. He bought a new transmission and had it in the trunk and decided he didn't want to mess with it. By some miracle the body and interior were perfect, paint was a little faded because it was original. My 17 year old self had the money but I just didn't have any idea what it would take to get that car going again so I passed. About 10 years later and to this day I think about that. Well you can't help being young and dumb.
I go to and work a ton of Auctions, yeah some older computer stuff can really be crazy. I was at one in the middle of nowhere and two guys took a 70's - early 80's computer with probably every game that was ever made for it well over a $1000. The Auctioneer probably didn't think it would get $10 because he started it at $20 and looked amazed when he got a quick bid. I'm wondering now if that was a Spectrum - I didn't recognize it at the time. The best part was, the guy that won it went over and picked up the box full and hugged it like it was his first child. I just grinned ear to ear because I know what it's like too.
What's really cool about collecting D&D is that the Market is strong for it. People are willing to sell because they know before hand that there will be interest in it. It's things with a fairly "soft" market that are tougher to find. I don't know if your Spectrum Game falls in that category. I collect a few Whiskey Sets from the Prohibition era. 7-8 years to find the shot glass I was missing in one set, and paid double what I thought I should pay when I finally saw one. It had been posted about an hour and it already had 3 watchers, I mashed down on that Buy it Now button so hard I about broke my Mouse. Two decanters I have yet to see in over 12 years but I do have the glasses for one of them. I think a lot of that is people don't know if they can get much for them so they might as well keep them. Two, they are very cool looking so even if the original owner passes away, someone in their family would just as soon keep it instead of selling it for almost nothing.
But like everyone says, just keep looking. The chase is good too. A couple times I've passed on something because the price was too high for me especially because of condition issues. I held off and some time later, boom - there's a better one and/or cheaper and then you don't hesitate because you've lived with that feeling all of those years.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:31 pm 

Skullhammer wrote in Non-TSR just ended on eBay:For me, the lamentation comes long afterwards.  For example, there was a Spectrum computer game that I wanted for my collection and after months of identifying this want, I finally saw it on eBay.  There was another buyer out there that was slightly more crazed than I, since he/she ultimately ended up paying more than 10x what the game should've gone for under the best "normal" circumstances.  I *could've* gone higher, but an optimistic feeling came over me and I decided to not grossly overpay, because surely I'll have another shot at this item.  This was 8 years ago, lol ... I've never seen it available again.  I lament the fact that I chose not to max out on that bad boy ... hindsight is 20/20 ...

Skull I was waxing away I forgot to write the moral. I collect this comic series, super popular in its time. It started with a miniseries that is rare, 2-3000 were only made of each issue. I passed on buying them for 20 years thinking that the Market might soften a little on them. Well I've been dead wrong - the first issue is breaking records every time a high grade copy is sold to this day. Last week, someone puts a whole set on eBay and does an awful job on it. I ask for better pictures and he puts them in and I'm figuring no way this is going cheap, they look fantastic. I snipe them at the end, only bid. Seller does a pretty crappy job packing them but they miraculously don't get damaged in the mail. I waited all that time and got them all for one tenth to one twentieth of the usual price. It can happen for you bud, just got to do the work and believe :)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:11 pm 

Skullhammer wrote in Non-TSR just ended on eBay:For me, the lamentation comes long afterwards.  For example, there was a Spectrum computer game that I wanted for my collection and after months of identifying this want, I finally saw it on eBay.  There was another buyer out there that was slightly more crazed than I, since he/she ultimately ended up paying more than 10x what the game should've gone for under the best "normal" circumstances.  I *could've* gone higher, but an optimistic feeling came over me and I decided to not grossly overpay, because surely I'll have another shot at this item.  This was 8 years ago, lol ... I've never seen it available again.  I lament the fact that I chose not to max out on that bad boy ... hindsight is 20/20 ...

Skull I was waxing away I forgot to write the moral. I collect this comic series, super popular in its time. It started with a miniseries that is rare, 2-3000 were only made of each issue. I passed on buying them for 20 years thinking that the Market might soften a little on them. Well I've been dead wrong - the first issue is breaking records every time a high grade copy is sold to this day. Last week, someone puts a whole set on eBay and does an awful job on it. I ask for better pictures and he puts them in and I'm figuring no way this is going cheap, they look fantastic. I snipe them at the end, only bid. Seller does a pretty crappy job packing them but they miraculously don't get damaged in the mail. I waited all that time and got them all for one tenth to one twentieth of the usual price. It can happen for you bud, just got to do the work and believe :)

Great stories, man :-).  You're absolutely right about the chase ...and I'm slightly more optimistic about finding the aforementioned Spectrum game than I was before posting today :-).

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:19 am 

Skullhammer wrote in Non-TSR just ended on eBay:  You're absolutely right about the chase ...and I'm slightly more optimistic about finding the aforementioned Spectrum game than I was before posting today :-).

:)

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:27 am 

Stories.....
My uncle (by marriage) decided to up and sell his house, a year after my aunt passed away without mentioning it to anyone. This was about 20 years ago. Sold it with everything inside, including a huge old chest my grandmother used to own. In the chest were all the comics we had collected as kids: Journey into Mystery 83 and up, two runs of Avengers, X-Men 4 and up, two copies of Hulk 181, old Tales to Astonish, complete Eerie/Creepy/Vampirella runs, Spiderman #12 up, two Defenders runs, much more. The chest was conservatively worth over $100K nowadays. The house itself was supposed to go to me, since my aunt bought it before they got married and he had agreed to it.
I console myself with the image of him side-by-side with Sisyphus.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Next