Dice
Author

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu May 25, 2017 4:14 am 

I lent/ gave away my original Dice years ago. They were Gamescience Clears (not inked) from around 1982-83.  I remember liking the 20 sided, but usually I'd use my RISK dice for d6s. Probably not too balanced on those, so great for rolling the ability scores and damage ;)
I saw that they were available from Gamescience today but the molding looked kind of flawed when I blew up the pictures. Since I don't have my originals to compare to it, I have no idea if mine were that way too - though my memory of them was that they looked very clear.
It did get me thinking on Dice as a whole from that era. Dragon Dice are listed on here and from a Search on the forum, a member stated that they were working on a page detailing what dice went with other Non-TSR games.
There's a lot of info on here and a few other places but nothing really put together with pictures and release dates for the various companies (I know I'm asking a lot). Would anyone care to renew this conversation?

Thanks

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu May 25, 2017 7:13 pm 

Mister Yuk wrote in Dice:but usually I'd use my RISK dice for d6s.

I used to use the 'red spot' die from a vintage '70s Headache! game for my 1-in-6 die.  :D

It'd be a good idea to get good info on what die go with what game. With so many boxed sets coming in second hand with none contained, it would be very useful to have a photographic reference to try assembling full sets. Sometimes I get lucky on Wayne's Books.

Art of dragons doing what dragons do. Site of a friend. Dragonstuff

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri May 26, 2017 2:33 pm 

SimperingToad wrote in Dice:It'd be a good idea to get good info on what die go with what game. With so many boxed sets coming in second hand with none contained, it would be very useful to have a photographic reference to try assembling full sets. Sometimes I get lucky on Wayne's Books.

Yes, there's a ton of good info out there

TheHistorian wrote in Dice included with Boxed Sets:I've been doing a lot of research about the correct dice for non-TSR items (Chaosium, FGU, etc.) over the last few months.  I'm getting close to having it pretty well figured out, but it's not quite ready for posting yet.

This is one post I saw and was curious if that post mentioned there was ever made.

grodog wrote in Question about Original D&D dice:
. wrote:Ian, are you unfamiliar with Kevin Cook's site @ DiceCollector.com - Home of the Worlds Largest Dice Collection - THE place for Dice Info & Questions ?  Or are you saying that we need to match up the various dice to the sets better?

And this site is fantastic but is a little overwhelming for me. I haven't spent much time on it yet - seemed at quick glance it wasn't doing much in the way of dating dice which is my biggest concern. But I haven't done my due diligence yet either - so no complaint about the site coming from me.

I've done a lot of info compiling for other things. But I don't own any Dice so I would be just stealing everyone else's work and pictures. Which would be fine for my usage but I wouldn't feel right about posting it anywhere. Would be much cooler if there was something out there that could be shared.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Fri May 26, 2017 4:08 pm 

Mister Yuk wrote in Dice:
TheHistorian wrote in Dice included with Boxed Sets:I've been doing a lot of research about the correct dice for non-TSR items (Chaosium, FGU, etc.) over the last few months.  I'm getting close to having it pretty well figured out, but it's not quite ready for posting yet.

This is one post I saw and was curious if that post mentioned there was ever made.

No, I never got around to it. I have the information for all the Chaosium sets, and most FGU, plus a couple others. I just never prioritized the time to get it assembled in a useful way.

Areas of interest/knowledge: Harn, WFRP, Ars Magica, anything BRP based such as CoC, Runequest, Pendragon and all their related games

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri May 26, 2017 5:10 pm 

TheHistorian wrote in Dice:No, I never got around to it. I have the information for all the Chaosium sets, and most FGU, plus a couple others. I just never prioritized the time to get it assembled in a useful way.

Thank you very much for taking the time to let me (us) know, sir.

I've been spending some more time on that site that Grodog mentioned. Really amazing and they had a link to a Facebook group for Dice collectors.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:20 pm 

I did find my Dice, I believe. Thought I should do an update to let you all know. A UK seller had a nice handful of dice for sale along with a bunch of late 70's to early 80's D&D stuff and I thought it would be a good bet those were it.

The seller was probably one of the crappier that I had ever dealt with, dice just thrown into an envelope and of all things, didn't allow messaging - I knew you could do that but never thought I'd run into it. My question wasn't dice related though, I just wanted to see if he did combined shipping. He had plenty of desirable stuff but I wasn't going to pay $16 each in shipping to get them.

I'm mentioning this along with another huge thank you to Grodog, I know it wasn't directly written to me - but it doesn't matter, help is help and I'm grateful. Thanks to this link,

grodog wrote in Question about Original D&D dice:
. wrote:Ian, are you unfamiliar with Kevin Cook's site @ DiceCollector.com - Home of the Worlds Largest Dice Collection - THE place for Dice Info & Questions ?  Or are you saying that we need to match up the various dice to the sets better?

I was able to bid confidently on this group. If I didn't have that info - I probably wouldn't have. I don't like dealing with what I perceive as less than good sellers unless I'm certain that what they have is what I'm looking for - sometimes not even then.

Looks like I am wrong about these being Gamescience, according to the site above - they are Armory Generation 2.  Maybe eventually I'll find one of my old ones, I might not have given away my whole set of originals. One thing I am certain of is that I won't get the dice I gave away back - he passed several years ago and I'm not going to his heirs asking for dice.

A few other cool goodies in the lot too. Turned out it was missing the D4 to the set, and that D6 has a pretty good chunk out of it from the making. I'm fine with it though and maybe I can find someone to trade with.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:54 pm 

Nice! I'll buy the rest of the lot from you.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:55 pm 

martinglass wrote in Dice:Nice! I'll buy the rest of the lot from you.

Appreciate the offer but I'm going to hoard em at least for a little while. I just got another mixed group today that filled in some holes on them.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:10 am 

Mister Yuk wrote in Dice:I'm mentioning this along with another huge thank you to Grodog, I know it wasn't directly written to me - but it doesn't matter, help is help and I'm grateful. Thanks to this link,

grodog wrote in Question about Original D&D dice:Ian, are you unfamiliar with Kevin Cook's site @ DiceCollector.com - Home of the Worlds Largest Dice Collection - THE place for Dice Info & Questions ?  Or are you saying that we need to match up the various dice to the sets better?

Happy to help :D

Allan.

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:19 pm 

Not an update for my Thread specifically but thought some on here may be interested to be aware of this. A custom Dice maker is making these and they will start being available in a week or so. They are not Low Impact and I think there are enough differences to tell them apart from the originals as long as you are aware. Posted for awareness for the Group, I personally have no involvement in this but have talked to the Maker - seems like a very decent guy that in no way wants his product to be used to fool others.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:58 am 

I would be interested in seeing the texture & color of the plastic. The originals have a sort of Sesame-Street brightness.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:51 pm 

sauromatian wrote in Dice:I would be interested in seeing the texture & color of the plastic. The originals have a sort of Sesame-Street brightness.

These won't have that same effect I'd think because it isn't in the interest of the Maker to be a perfect repro. Just relatively the same color, size and numbering. The Maker stated several times that he's a long time Player and wants to make some sturdy dice that are "close" to the originals so that Gamers that love their old dice don't have to continue using them (and doing further damage to them). I sent you a PM sauromatian.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:51 pm 

These look pretty cool. Please let me know how to get in touch with the almighty "Maker" (as I kneel in penitence ... lol) as I would like to get a set or two.

Thank you - Paul

"Okay, we turn the corner and see a Purple 'WHAT' !?!" . . (the DM rolls a 20 or so he says) . . It all went black right after that.

[email protected]

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:32 pm 

PM-Knight wrote in Dice:These look pretty cool. Please let me know how to get in touch with the almighty "Maker" (as I kneel in penitence ... lol) as I would like to get a set or two.

Thank you - Paul

No problem Paul, sent PM.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:53 pm 

HOT

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:14 pm 

PM-Knight wrote in Dice:These look pretty cool. Please let me know how to get in touch with the almighty "Maker" (as I kneel in penitence ... lol) as I would like to get a set or two.

Thank you - Paul

How much are they?

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:28 pm 

MadCatUSA wrote in Dice:

How much are they?

I asked him and he said all that info would be available when he releases them. He has $20 a set, $25 inked on his site but I think that was pricing for the dice he made and sold before these.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:15 am 

Most know perhaps that the Moldvay basic set came with baggies of 6 unpainted dice and a crayon. This was usually true for Mentzer basic set as well.

The dice from the two sets look similar but came from different molds. Here is how numbers are arranged on the Moldvay dice.

If I create dice nets for the Mentzer set I'll be sure to come back and post them.

It's nice that dicecollector.com already has partial dice nets for many dice, but complete dice nets are still better! Partial nets usually aren't good enough when trying to identify dice from photos.

The Moldvay d20 has an odd irregularity. Every number has a baseline parallel to the side of the face beneath it except for "10" whose baseline is parallel to the side of the face above it.

Not sure TSR switched molds at exactly the same time they introduced the Mentzer set. I have a 3rd and 4th printing of the Moldvay box and they both came with what I'm calling the "Moldvay" dice. The Mentzer set was in print for a long time, so perhaps several types of dice were found in it. Anyway, what I am calling the "Mentzer" dice are the ones in Acaeum odd items page.

There are images on the web of "Moldvay" dice in the blister pack:

Next