1970's Wargame books?
Author

Prolific Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:21 pm 

Anyone familiar with early 1970's miniatures wargames? I picked up a book today and I'm curious if it's worth anything. Thanks all!

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:23 pm 

MadCatUSA wrote in 1970's Wargame books?:Anyone familiar with early 1970's miniatures wargames? I picked up a book today and I'm curious if it's worth anything. Thanks all!

See if your book is for sale here:

AbeBooks | Shop for Books, Art &amp Collectibles

They have several from the 70's that are offered for as high as $50.00 to $75.00.  I am not suggesting they are actually worth that, but they could be.  8)

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

Prolific Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:29 pm 

benjoshua wrote in 1970's Wargame books?:
MadCatUSA wrote in 1970's Wargame books?:Anyone familiar with early 1970's miniatures wargames? I picked up a book today and I'm curious if it's worth anything. Thanks all!

They have several from the 70's that are offered for as high as $50.00 to $75.00.  I am not suggesting they are actually worth that, but they could be.  8)

Thanks! Checking now.
I did a quick Google search while I was at the shop and I could find only ONE mention of it.  8O

Prolific Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:32 pm 

Nothing on Abe Books.
I'll post a photo in a few. I'm curious what it's worth.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:41 am 

Good grief! Just out of curiosity, I searched for the AD&D Monster Manual. Only two under $40, and a slew of them over $100 plus. Even later prints!  8O

Art of dragons doing what dragons do. Site of a friend. Dragonstuff

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:39 am 

SimperingToad wrote in 1970's Wargame books?:

Good grief! Just out of curiosity, I searched for the AD&D Monster Manual. Only two under $40, and a slew of them over $100 plus. Even later prints!  8O

And that's why I wrote that comment stating the sales price is not necessarily indicative of the actual worth (just like on eBay).  However, this is a site that offers a wider (or at least different) range of books for sale than eBay, which might have proved useful in his search.   8)

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:12 am 

I collect old wargame rules... not in a particularly organized or exhaustive manner :)  but still, I find them interesting - especially the rules from the 70s that include some fantasy elements.

I lump them into three broad categories:

- historical rules & simulations published by rpg game publishers, for instance Fantasy Games Unlimited has a number of stand-along wargames rules, these often sell in the $20 range.  TSR booklets can range a lot - Classic Warfare & Bio One are $20-$40, early Boot Hills & Warrior of Mars are many hundreds.  

- miniature rules with a fantasy element, e/g/ Chaimail from a little to a lot depending on printing,  Little Soldier books like Ringbearer are really cool and under $100

- wargames rules that are historical and/or simulations... these are pretty inexpensive and scratch the collecting itch just fine.  They often can be had for $5-$10 and can be delightfully obscure.

I find this an interesting sideline to my general rpg collection hobby.  I have considered organizing my wargame books somehow but for now they share shelf-space mixed in with my non-TSR rpgs.

I draw the line at collecting... D&D Towels.

Did we need: Jade Magi Sewer Crawl

Shoulda been: ".. from Pangreenia to Floratopolis, from mystical Treeonia of spectral Forests to Schruborial dimensions."  - The Forests of Leng