Islandia modules
Author

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jun 18, 2023 5:51 am 

Badmike wrote in Islandia modules:Three years later and it appears mbassoc and I were right lol. I still hope we can see updated printings of this stuff in my lifetime.

Mike B

This won't be published until the IP owner speeks to someone who is interested in bringing the product to market and establishing a digital legacy for the authors' works.
As it is we have some greedy f"ck who turned up here to explain why he wanted money out of this.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jun 18, 2023 9:25 am 

It seems to me the gaming world has shifted from DMs mostly coming up with their own material to purchasing books and adventures and reading them off to players. Imagination in gaming died out quite a while ago due to the player base becoming less and less equipped mentally and psychologically to come up with their own stuff. Remember how we as DMs would constantly be trying to think up new things to add to our campaigns? That doesn't happen anymore.
Very few of the current generation of gamers are interested in "old" stuff. Due to the influence of video games, they are more interested in half blue dragon/half ochre jelly ninja paladins who start out with +3 swords of mutilation and have abilities like "Spinning strike: hit all enemies within 50'". So basically, I think any older product that was updated would look almost nothing like the original.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Jun 19, 2023 12:20 am 

Deadlord wrote in Islandia modules:It seems to me the gaming world has shifted from DMs mostly coming up with their own material to purchasing books and adventures and reading them off to players. Imagination in gaming died out quite a while ago due to the player base becoming less and less equipped mentally and psychologically to come up with their own stuff. Remember how we as DMs would constantly be trying to think up new things to add to our campaigns? That doesn't happen anymore.
Very few of the current generation of gamers are interested in "old" stuff. Due to the influence of video games, they are more interested in half blue dragon/half ochre jelly ninja paladins who start out with +3 swords of mutilation and have abilities like "Spinning strike: hit all enemies within 50'". So basically, I think any older product that was updated would look almost nothing like the original.

Man you made my day!
...and moreover that is one of the concepts i wrote in the intro of my game! (I didn't use the half dragon/half jelly, i used the ninja/pirate example however...)

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jun 19, 2023 2:53 am 

Blue Dragon/Ochre Jelly Ninja/Paladins? Can they p!ss Bud Lite?

In defence of the current generation of authors in the OSR space, those who write backwards compatable products, there is a lot of tallent in that author pool, and publishers that assemble that work into pretty attreactive reading materials. Today's published content is as good as I've seen it. But ofcourse that talks to the demand in the market for creative and tallented people to do the thinking and sketching for the masses who choose not to think for themselves.

It used to be a case that what was published by the likes of Judges Guild and TSR was not so far removed from the creative abilities of many DMs (access to professional typesetting aside), whereas today, the gulf between the creative author and the avergae 5e DM is astonomical. As a newbie DM picking up D&D/OSR today, it must seem impossible ever have the tallent or imagination to think for ones self when presented with the quality of published materials.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Previous