Information/Value of obscure(?) accessory
Author

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 1:49 pm 

Greetings, all!  I was hoping I could use your collective knowledge to help me find out more about a product I possess.

Many years ago, I purchased a supplement called Mystic Mike's Scroll Pack I, from 1992, by Fantasy IV Productions.  I forgot about it, until recently when I came across it misplaced on one of my gaming shelves.  I did a bit of research but have been unable to find out anything about it, or other products in the line (assuming there were more).  My first impression was that it was some inconsequential release, and it doesn't have much value but I thought I'd pass the product info over to you all to see what you knew (if anything) about it and get an idea as it its value (if anything).  

Thanks!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Prolific Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 4:25 pm 

Wasn't able to find *anything* on this item (even Google came up blank.)
I'm guessing it was self-published and distributed locally at hobby shops and conventions.
Unless you can come up with more info (ISBN, UPC, etc.) there's just not enough here for me to go on, I've never seen it before. Sorry.  :(  :(

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:32 am 

Thanks for trying, MadCat.

Anyone else?  If not, does anyone have a suggestion as to who/where might be able to help?  

I spent the better part of an afternoon, trying to find something on this item.  Page after page of Google turned up nothing.  Online sellers had nothing resembling it.  I agree that it might have been a local or regional guy who made this and distributed it personally.   I'm curious as to its origin, product/"company" history, and its valuation.  I'm not expecting a gold mine, but it'd be nice to know what value collectors would put on something like this.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:02 am 

I didn't find anything on the Tome of Treasures or Ian's Afterglow2 archive, and the product doesn't ring any bells at all to me.

Mark/Mars and Bill/stratochamp and Brett/beasterbrook have some of the most-extensive non-TSR collections, so hopefully they'll chime in :D

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Prolific Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:46 am 

grodog wrote in Information/Value of obscure(?) accessory:I didn't find anything on the Tome of Treasures or Ian's Afterglow2 archive

Ok... I'm feeling really stupid, but I can't find Ian's Afterglow2 Archive anyplace. Browser is returning an "Invalid Address" when I type in www.afterglow2.com and www.afterglow2.net. www.afterglow2.org is a Christian Music site... I give up.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:41 pm 

MadCatUSA wrote in Information/Value of obscure(?) accessory:
grodog wrote in Information/Value of obscure(?) accessory:I didn't find anything on the Tome of Treasures or Ian's Afterglow2 archive

Ok... I'm feeling really stupid, but I can't find Ian's Afterglow2 Archive anyplace. Browser is returning an "Invalid Address" when I type in http://www.afterglow2.com and http://www.afterglow2.net. AFTERGLOW - Luxury Sound In Sacred Music is a Christian Music site... I give up.

The site croaked a few months ago - ya' gotta use the wayback.

Prolific Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 3:47 pm 

lippy wrote in Information/Value of obscure(?) accessory:
MadCatUSA wrote in Information/Value of obscure(?) accessory:
Ok... I'm feeling really stupid, but I can't find Ian's Afterglow2 Archive anyplace. Browser is returning an "Invalid Address" when I type in http://www.afterglow2.com and http://www.afterglow2.net. AFTERGLOW - Luxury Sound In Sacred Music is a Christian Music site... I give up.

The site croaked a few months ago - ya' gotta use the wayback.

Ah! Now it makes sense. I was thinking I was going nuts.  PDT_Armataz_01_05

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:51 pm 

grodog wrote in Information/Value of obscure(?) accessory:I didn't find anything on the Tome of Treasures or Ian's Afterglow2 archive, and the product doesn't ring any bells at all to me.

Mark/Mars and Bill/stratochamp and Brett/beasterbrook have some of the most-extensive non-TSR collections, so hopefully they'll chime in :D

I didn't find anything on ToT, either, sir.  I hadn't looked on the Afterglow archive.  Yes, hopefully someone will have some more light to shed on this item.  It certainly has me perplexed!  Thanks for replying, sir!

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:26 am 

Nothing even on rpggeek and on the book Heroic Worlds?

I am the servant of the Secret Maps, Wielder of the flame of Clone!
You cannot quote! The dark spam will not avail you, flame of Udun.
Go back to the Shadow! You... cannot... post!!!

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 12:00 am 

aia wrote in Information/Value of obscure(?) accessory:Nothing even on rpggeek and on the book Heroic Worlds?

Nothing in HW.

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 4:20 pm 

Just checking back in.  I'm a little surprised that there isn't anything known about a product like this.  But I know you guys are the best of the best, and if you don't have anything then there's probably not any info to be had on it.  I do appreciate the assistance.

So, is there any guidelines about valuing something like this?  Something that doesn't have any historical pricing?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 5:19 pm 

Lord Dynel wrote in Information/Value of obscure(?) accessory:Just checking back in.  I'm a little surprised that there isn't anything known about a product like this.  But I know you guys are the best of the best, and if you don't have anything then there's probably not any info to be had on it.  I do appreciate the assistance.

So, is there any guidelines about valuing something like this?  Something that doesn't have any historical pricing?

In my opinion, items like these could potentially be worth quite a bit if you wait for an interested collector.  To find its value, I would put it on eBay with a high reserve price, but a moderately low starting bid (i.e. 19.99) - and then expect to leave it up for awhile.  It'll cost you a little bit of money, but you'll be able to gauge interest in the market without committing to sell it under value.  If you run into the right buyer who hasn't hit your reserve, they'll probably reach out to you and begin to provide offers.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:23 am 

Some items are regional or so obscure they just don't pop up enough to be listed anywhere. Similar to "Tabletop Fantasy Warriors" that was published in TX in 1984 and only sold at a few regional conventions and stores.  Sadly, such rarities often do not bring the prices they probably should due to the fact no one has every heard about them.

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
http://www.ntrpgcon.com

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:12 am 

Badmike wrote in Information/Value of obscure(?) accessory:Some items are regional or so obscure they just don't pop up enough to be listed anywhere. Similar to "Tabletop Fantasy Warriors" that was published in TX in 1984 and only sold at a few regional conventions and stores.  Sadly, such rarities often do not bring the prices they probably should due to the fact no one has every heard about them.

Mike B.

That and adventures usually go for more $$ than accessories. My guess is it is worth between $50-$150, but who really knows until it is auctioned.

Available now from Die Cast Games: Night of the Black Swords by Allen Hammack (Author of C2-The Ghost Tower of Inverness) with artwork by Jeff Easley and Diesel.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 4:15 pm 

Thanks for the advice, guys.  I appreciate it!

I do understand about obscurity of some things, and that obscurity leading to lower values than it probably should.  That is, indeed, truly a shame.  Mike B, I definitely think this was a regional item.

That's a good idea, ibm_ted; to put the item on eBay the way you described to gauge interest and a sort of "appraisal."  I will definitely do that.  I'm not necessarily interested in selling it unless, like you said, someone comes along who wants it more than I do!  :)

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 7:49 pm 

It would probably be a good idea to drop a quick note on here that you have it listed. I'd imagine a few buyers on here might be interested. :)

Carpe DM!

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 9:45 pm 

cdenham wrote in Information/Value of obscure(?) accessory:It would probably be a good idea to drop a quick note on here that you have it listed. I'd imagine a few buyers on here might be interested. :)

Well, in that case, let this serve as the "quick note!"   :)

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:41 am 

I wouldn't expect to make a fortune on it. The market for things like this is a lot smaller than for the typical stuff.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:45 pm 

Deadlord wrote in Information/Value of obscure(?) accessory:I wouldn't expect to make a fortune on it. The market for things like this is a lot smaller than for the typical stuff.

Of course not.  I hope I haven't given the impression that I think I have some ultra-expensive item here.  I've been collecting long enough to know that "rare" doesn't equal "valuable."  It's certainly rare.  As for its value, who knows?  AS long as I get a vague idea of what it's worth, I'm happy.   :wink:

That said, it's only item in my collection that I can't get and a value/appraisal on.  It's a bit vexing.