Gary Con VIII 2016 Auction Results
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 7:40 pm 

Charity: Lad Lake, helping abused kids

$25        Mars Attacks two-pack from SJG (dice game & 10 minute takedown) autographed
$120        Pathfinder Occult Adventures hardback, many autographs
$30        Etched-it inscribed dice box
$30        Dragon Turtle resin sculpture
$130        Chainmail 3rd ed pretty good shape, signed by Jeff Perrin
$50        Hans Cummings's Zack Jackson book trilogy autographed w/inscriptions for Gary Con VIII
$500        Brimstone by the Hickmans, signed (both) and numbered #34 of 50, pristine condition
$30        Raven's Bluff sweatshirt XL
$52        Jasmine the Battle of the Mid-Realm card game by Darlene
$32        Dragonsword of Lankhmar 1-on-1 adventure book by Jim Ward, used in flaky condition
$30        Living City At War T-shirt XXL
$100        Diesel keepsake jewelry box, with Dragon adornment on top, and Beholder sketch on the back, signed and numbered
$30        Slayers Guide to Rules Lawyers from Mongoose
$300        Circus Maximus from Jim Ward's closet, still in shrink, with autographed provenance
$55        Autographed photo of Lambert + Alien from Alien film, with autograph by Veronica Cartwright to Spellbinders
$40        Hyperborea 3-pack in shrink Forgotten Fane of Coiled Goddess + Beneath the Comet + Ghost Ship, plus Hyperborea T-shirt in XL
$50        TSR ad flyer showing the 10th anniversary module packs
$40        Panzer Leader AH box game, 1st print, partially punched, definitely played
$54        Jeff Butler dragon drawing signed and annotated as Gary Con VIII
$85        Easley original drawing of dogs attacking a character, signed on the picture
$5        Framed photo of Lari (?) Morgan, autographed to someone named Art, in 1998
$40        Hollow World boxed set, gently used
$25        Cosmo 6d6 t-shirt with skull insignia, XL
$45        Ball of equality from 2015, with many, many signatures
$90        Gargoyle Forge foam fake weapons reminiscent of Pathfinder goblins' weapons
$100        Gary Con VIII poster, #1 of 20, signed by Jeff Butler
$20        Ninja Burger Mission card game, SJG, brand new
$15        Malatra the Living Jungle t-shirt from 1995, size L
$70        Easley original of a Jellyfish menacing some adventurers, singed on the drawing
$400        Dungeon Module S1 Tomb of Horrors WotC walkthrough original art (only the line drawing part, not the story part), signed 2014
$25        Highlander Adrian Paul fan club tote bag, signed by Adrian Paul
$70        Death & Taxes boxed set by Lesser Gnome, kickstarter edition, shrink
$50        Dungeon Dice by Parker Brothers, used condition
$160        Ral Partha Dragons lot: Ancient war dragon; ice dragon; dragon 3; a bunch of lesser dragons; 8 dragons total
$32        Carwicks Graphics T-shirt, with succubus from Monster Manual, XL, with custom personalization of high bidder's choice
$50        Ravenloft Chilling Tales (shrink); The Awakening (shrink); House of Strand; Port of Raven's Bluff; Gateway to Raven's Bluff
$1200        Gary Con VIII framed demon idol laser cuttings (red background), many autographs
$1200        another of the above (gold background)
$20        Unearthed Arcana signed by Frank Mentzer, used
$35        Blighted Lands BL1, BL2, BL3 collection by Luke Gygax and Jim Ward, signed
$35        Tunnels and Trolls 5 pack of paperback game books: rulebook, plus 4 separate combos of solo adventures
$80        Ladies Mask by Lisa Sell of Dueling Dragons, resin, hand painted
$40        Robert J. Kuntz two pack: Print of a campaign map (I think this was unpublished), Dungeon Set #2 from Pied Piper Publishing
$60        Cuba board game
$140        Pathfinder Core Rulebook, 6th printing from 2013, many autographs
$200        Privilege to cut off on and keep Tim Kask's ponytail, plus his hair tie
$50        Larry Elmore Snarfquest 30th Anniversary Hardback + Danger at The Mystical Plains of Seshaar
$34        The Gamers Directors Cut
$50        Doom of the Dragon hardcover, autographed Margaret Weis 2016
$20        Hans Cummings Scars of the Sundering Malediction, inscribed Gary Con VIII 2016, plus cards & bookmarks
$12        TSR Terror Tracks, Track of the Werewolf audio CD
$200        Castle Zagyg Yggsburgh hardback (formerly from Stratochamp's collection), near mint+, signed by Luke (maybe Ernie too?)
$500        Dungeon Masters Guide backside artwork hanging vinyl banner, previously hung at some earlier Gary Cons
$800        I6 Ravenloft isometric map hanging vinyl banner, previously hung at some earlier Gary Cons*
$600        Five prototype Knights of the Dinner Table book ends, handmade
$400        Lot of box tops/bottoms/complete boxes, unassembled: Dragonlance 5th Age heroes <something>; Wrath of the Immortals; Forgotten Realms 1st ed; Ravenloft Realms of Terror; Kara-Tur; Al-Qadim Land of Fate; The Best of Dragon Games; Marvel Lands of Doctor Doom; Dawn of the Emperors; (back only) Dark Sun The Ivory Triangle
$20        Ral Partha Bear Chariot miniature
$24        Ral Partha Dueling Dragons miniatures
$35        Ral Partha Throne of Bone miniature
$45        Gary Con limited edition miniature, from Gary Con VII, painted by Skip Williams
$30        another one
$30        third one
$54        Sword of Air hardcover for Swords & Wizardry
$40        Hans Cummings's Foundations of Drek-something books 1 and 2, autographed Gary Con VIII 2016, plus bookmarks
$210        Plan B module by Luke Gygax #1 of 20, all author autographs
$12        Lesser Gnome lot: Birds of a Feather + The First Sentinel
$90        Firefly role playing game lot: Core Book + Smuggler's Guide, autographed by Margaret Weis on both
$110        Terry Pavelet original artwork of a barbarian, specifically made for Gary Con
$10        Ted Fauster (?) Hellion King of Pharaoh, signed #45 of 100, with certificate of authenticity
$120        Fire Giant miniature from the Gary Con VIII poster (only 150 were made)
$18        Kriegspiel boxed set, well played
$25        RPGA T-shirt size kid's S
$150        AD&D Monster Cards sets 1 through 4, shrink
$200        RPGA brass buckle, never been mounted
$40        Dragon Dice, percentiles, unopened
$300        Pathfinder Ultimate Intrigue (not yet published), many signatures
$60        TSR Worlds issue #1, Dec 1987
$330        Gary Con VIII framed demon idol laser cuttings (silver back), see other ones above
$22        The Convert module, by Frank Mentzer for New Infinities, broken shrink
$200        TSR Button with Green Lizard Man
$215        TSR Button with The Dragon #1 artwork
$200        Larry Elmore print of upcoming Gary Con IX poster, autograph
$140        TSR tie tack with RPGA-like polyhedron world, only available to TSR employees, new in bag
$32        RPGA fanny pack with printed logo, unused
$60        RPGA logo folding note pad dated 1993
$50        RPGA tea cup / mug, logo on both sides
$250        RPGA dice bag, leather with fabric interior, with zipper, with 1981 wing logo, brand new condition
$90        Sheldon cardboard stand-up wearing Gary Con t-shirt, from Gary Con VII
$100        Gary Con VIII challenge coin #1 of 200
$50        Steve Sullivan color map of Lake Geneva print, many signatures by the Gygax family and Steve Sullivan
$310        Gary Con VIII poster with many autographs
$150        Sandal made by Gary Gygax, owned by Chip Mornard (who Gary used to call The Bugbear), to be donated to the auction next year (same one auctioned as last year)

* Jim Kitchen gave a teally touching explanation of the legacy of the I6 Ravenloft map artwork, being what Dave Sutherland considered his masterpiece, and the eulogy given by Dave's sister at his funeral

Guy Fullerton
Chaotic Henchmen Productions
http://www.chaotichenchmen.com/

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 8:00 pm 

thanks for posting the results.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 8:22 pm 

Video of Tim Kask's charity ponytail cut:

https://youtu.be/e_Cet-CdqCA

Guy Fullerton
Chaotic Henchmen Productions
http://www.chaotichenchmen.com/

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 8:25 pm 

Thanks for posting. Wish I'd been there, but it is great to hear about it and see the prices.

"You get more with a kind word and an excruciator than with just a kind word."

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 10:07 am 

Thank you for posting the prices - they are good - wish I was there.  Next year!

--

Chris Korczak | www.rpgrpgrpg.com
IOBA (Independent Online Booksellers Association)
SNEAB (Southern New England Antiquarian Booksellers)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 12:31 pm 

Is scott about still at garycon please?  

If so can he contact me asap?

Cheers,
Karen

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 4:49 pm 

Guy Fullerton wrote in Gary Con VIII 2016 Auction Results:$40        Robert J. Kuntz two pack: Print of a campaign map (I think this was unpublished), Dungeon Set #2 from Pied Piper Publishing

This is the map from Rob's Dreamlands:

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:31 pm 

Notes:

Box tops/bottoms/complete boxes, unfolded/Mint ($400); Lot included:
Wrath of the Immortals top & bottom both
Box tops (only) for: Forgotten Realms 1st ed; Ravenloft Realms of Terror; Kara-Tur; Al-Qadim Land of Fate; The Best of Dragon Games; Marvel Lands of Doctor Doom; Dawn of the Emperors
Complete Dragonlance 5th Age Heroes minibox
box bottom only for Dark Sun The Ivory Triangle

Signed photo $5 of:
Lorrie Morgan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

TSR ad flyer showing the 10th anniversary module packs ($50): I found this while rifling thru AH's Panzer Leader; buyer put the game back up (only wanted the ad sheet), which then sold for $40 itself

F

My friends Dave & Gary made a quantum leap in the human soul. Remember them.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 2:18 pm 

Can anyone explain what the "Gary Con VIII framed demon idol laser cuttings" exactly are? Anyone have a picture of them?

Why did the first two go for $1200 each and the third go for only $330?

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 4:26 pm 

Thanks for the info (missed Saturday).

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 6:08 pm 

Phaedran wrote in Gary Con VIII 2016 Auction Results:Can anyone explain what the "Gary Con VIII framed demon idol laser cuttings" exactly are? Anyone have a picture of them?

Why did the first two go for $1200 each and the third go for only $330?

Ah, therein lies a story, a tale of woe.   :lol:  I'll see if I can get some pictures posted later tonight, with a bit of what transpired.

"Parturient montes, nascetur ridiculus mus."

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:52 pm 

Matt Teets (an occasional Acaeum visitor, and a regular at the Gen Con auction) is fairly creative, and has made stuff to donate to the charity auction at Gary Con from time to time.  This year, he made the KODT bookends which were in the auction, as well as three framed laser-cut idols based on the AD&D Player's Handbook cover.  Each of the idols had a different background, one red, one gold and one silver.  And each was signed by pretty much every VIP in attendance at the convention.

The red idol:

The gold idol:

They are made of laser-cut wood.  Unfortunately, I didn't take a picture of the silver one.

Frank said that the high bidder could pick any of the three, and started the bidding.  I thought the red one was the best and would look just snazzy on the wall near my Geek Chic table, so decided to bid.  But unbeknownst to me, Ken Trbovich ("Turbo", one of Luke's close friends) was also bidding.  I later learned that Turbo had sent a picture of it to his brother, who's birthday is coming up, and he wanted it.  In any case, Turbo and I kept upping the other, in $100 dollar increments.  At one point, I turned around, and Turbo said, "Oh, it's you?  Sorry, buddy."  So I bid $100 more . . . and then he raised the bid again.   :x  Finally at $1200, I dropped.  Frank asked Turbo which one he wanted, and he picked the red one.  So then Frank turns to me, and says that I can pick either of the other two and have it for the same $1200.  I sigh (thinking I really should have dropped much earlier), but since it was for charity, agreed.  I took the gold one (which I think was the second best).

Anyway, later the silver one came up for auction.  Without Turbo or me in the hunt, it went to stratochamp for $330.

"Parturient montes, nascetur ridiculus mus."

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 6:58 pm 

And we sincerely thank you all for your charitable donations. :)