Interesting Non-TSR Items Currently on eBay
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 51 of 92123 ... 48, 49, 50, 51, 52 ... 909192
Author

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:17 am 

stratochamp wrote in Interesting Non-TSR Items Currently on eBay: but perhaps should contemplate why supposedly 30 year old items look so sharp.

Simple rule of thumb: Anything made after I became an adult is modern & recent. Seems like yesterday, so I naturally expect it to look that way. Anything from my own childhood or before is old, & must be conserved in plastic.

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:11 am 

** expired/removed eBay auction **

What is the Gallagher's guide to the galaxy? Is it an rpg supplement or other?

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:16 am 

aia wrote in Interesting Non-TSR Items Currently on eBay:What is the Gallagher's guide to the galaxy? Is it an rpg supplement or other?

It examines the data yielded by throwing watermelons at stellar objects.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:03 pm 

sauromatian wrote in Interesting Non-TSR Items Currently on eBay:
It examines the data yielded by throwing watermelons at stellar objects.

That has got to be the funniest reply ever! Well played!

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:52 am 

** eBay auction listing blocked.  Please enable cookies in your browser for this site and for eBay! **

Don’t see Delf’s Lair of the Medusa everyday!!  I’m not sure about the price, but you do get to pay in Canadian dollarettes :)

I draw the line at collecting... D&D beach towels.

Shoulda been: ".. from Pangreenia to Floratopolis, from mystical Treeonia of spectral Forests to Schruborial dimensions." - The Forests of Leng

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:56 am 

I'd pay $200 for it.
I wouldn't be surprised if it goes for double that.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:38 pm 

I would be cautious with this seller.  A lot, if not all, of the items listed as in shrink appear to have aftermarket SW.

The Lair of Medusa might have the original SW, but it's open.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:29 am 

The only positive thing about shrink wrap is that (if it is original) it shows at a distance that there is no writing/highlighting inside. If the module can be removed from the shrink wrap, and then reinserted then there is absolutely no value to it. The flimsy plastic coating is not magical.

Shrink is not a condition

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:37 am 

dbartman wrote in Interesting Non-TSR Items Currently on eBay:I would be cautious with this seller.  A lot, if not all, of the items listed as in shrink appear to have aftermarket SW.

The Lair of Medusa might have the original SW, but it's open.

Yes. It's been removed from shrink and then slid back inside it. Deliberate act by the seller to mislead in the sale, but I suspect it's complete and undamaged. And there is always chargeback if it turns out to be not mint inside. If you buy it and want a discount, you ask for a 50% refund and if he won't give it you file a complaint with eBay asking for a 50% refund pointing out that it was advertised as new, and that the seller had the opportunity to photograph the insides and chose to conceal the contents during the sale, leading the buyer to believe that it is brand new, complete, mint etc. A less than honest buyer could use the seller's tactics of deceit against him and make an easy 50% saving on his purchase of what is a surprisingly rare item in great condition.

I may consider throwing in a $200 bid just for investment/resale value, but its not on my radar as something I'm looking for, and I suspect it'll go a fair bit higher. I wouldn't be surprised to see something like this selling for $500 in a couple of years time. That sort of ROI is something that's hard to find in traditional investments.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:19 pm 

A chance to play with Stefan Pokorny:

** eBay auction listing blocked.  Please enable cookies in your browser for this site and for eBay! **

Available now from Die Cast Games: Night of the Black Swords by Allen Hammack (Author of C2-The Ghost Tower of Inverness) with artwork by Jeff Easley and Diesel.

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:13 am 

** expired/removed eBay auction **

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:34 am 

mbassoc2003 wrote in Interesting Non-TSR Items Currently on eBay:Yes. It's been removed from shrink and then slid back inside it. Deliberate act by the seller to mislead in the sale, but I suspect it's complete and undamaged. And there is always chargeback if it turns out to be not mint inside. If you buy it and want a discount, you ask for a 50% refund and if he won't give it you file a complaint with eBay asking for a 50% refund pointing out that it was advertised as new, and that the seller had the opportunity to photograph the insides and chose to conceal the contents during the sale, leading the buyer to believe that it is brand new, complete, mint etc. A less than honest buyer could use the seller's tactics of deceit against him and make an easy 50% saving on his purchase of what is a surprisingly rare item in great condition.

I may consider throwing in a $200 bid just for investment/resale value, but its not on my radar as something I'm looking for, and I suspect it'll go a fair bit higher. I wouldn't be surprised to see something like this selling for $500 in a couple of years time. That sort of ROI is something that's hard to find in traditional investments.

That is a lot of money.

But do someone on the forum knows something about the real content value of this vintage adventure?
Even if it is super rare, it may be crap after all and unplayable (yes, i WOULD expect to play a module if i plan to spend 200 or 500 bucks for it).

Also because, from the actual photo the module seems to consist of a few pages.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 1:37 pm 

The module is 20pp.
I'd really have to defer to someone who's read it in regard to quality of the adventure itself. I skim read it about a decade ago and it didn't stick in my memory, which tells me its not bad, but not memorably good either. Just regular small press stuff from the 80's. As a pure investment, if its crisp and clean VF-NM, I suspect it'll out perform the S&P over the next decade, and its real, but if you want to spend money on quality writing, there is an entire OSR community out there writing stuff that stands head and shoulders above the stuff we played when we were kids.

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 2:27 pm 

Usually the super rares modules are not the best ones in term of quality... This aspect at the moment of publication made them not a great item to buy, hence the rarity... I dont know about this one but for others this mechanism fits well...

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 4:56 pm 

It's clearly not VF just from the bottom right corner alone. If every page is bent something can't be in Very Fine condition.
This happens because some people in our hobby do not look at every item as a collectable, but still grade it for its utility. "It's in great shape for something 40 years old!" These are words that are never spoken of in comic collecting, but still are in RPG collecting. It's why Noble Night can sell a NM item for $500 and get somebody to pay for $475 for a VG copy. Because in their mind they would have paid 500 for it, so why not pay 475, instead of waiting for another NM copy at 500. When our hobby grows up there will be condition stratification but until then we will still get descriptions like "NM except for the stains" and "mostly in original shrinkwrap".

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:39 pm 

Well, I’d certainly not grade it highly based on utility. As a playable product it’s somewhere in the lower 40% with the majority of TSR and JG published product above it in utility.

That said, if I picked it up for $200, I suspect I could sell it for $400 in two to three years. If one had to pay $400 to snag it this time round, I suspect your looking at a five years before you could double your money on it. Who knows? I suspect we won’t know where it goes or get the chance to see it’s resale.

In regard to wear on the bottom edge, I do not see that as significant enough to exclude it from VF. We’ve certainly seen a good amount of product passes as VF on a regular basis with equal or greater rubbing away of the edge of the paper. The problem is there is no universally agreed upon thresholds. Good clear photos seem to be the surest way of reaching agreements as to what condition things are in. In this case the seller could have at least been honest and slipped the thing out and given us honest photography. He leaves himself open to the automatic 50% compensation eBay will give on his behalf to a suitably disgruntled buyer.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:57 pm 

What I would say to that Ian is that all of those items that were passed off as VF were all incorrectly graded. I am stating definitively, that should be used as a go forward in our community, that if every page of an item is bent, it can not be in Very Fine condition. I would like to add that at no point was I stating what this item is worth, or what it should sell for or what it will be worth in five years. I am stating that this seller is inappropriately trying to get people to buy the item with the idea that it is "mostly in shrink" and that it is in better shape than it is (Fine+ at best and probably worse).

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:37 am 

Yep.

Maybe, somewhere along the line, the Acaeum community could assemble a grading guideline based on photographed examples of what is and what isn’t, in the community’s opinion, Mint, Near Mint, Very Fine and Fine condition. Below Fine I don’t really consider to be ‘collectable’ unless it is a unique item. For me, below Fine graded (and a lot of what I would consider Fine too) is just reading material to be read and enjoyed and then passed along to others.

But a page description of each grading, replete with photographs would be a great reference tool. Assuming a consensus can be reached that is. Otherwise most people defer to the grading norms one sees repeated ad infinitum in the marketplace at large.

In regard to value, that is a personal thing between the buyer and the seller. My guesstimate is purely gut instinct based on the experience I had trading in these things when I was active, and the observations I have made in how the items I dealt with have traded over the subsequent years since I cashed in my chips. I could easily be wildly out on my estimate, and I’d always encourage others to form their own informed opinions.

It’s academic really for me. If it remains as is to the close, and I remember, I may put in a sniping bid, because I’d be happy to sit on it for two years at $200. Not so at $400. But wouldn’t be buying it to read it or use it. It’s only utility to me is as a low risk investment that will do well in an economy of high inflation. I already got the enjoyment I sought from this product the first time I owned it.

PreviousNext
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 51 of 92123 ... 48, 49, 50, 51, 52 ... 909192