Interesting Non-TSR Items Currently on eBay
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 22 of 91123 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 ... 899091
Author

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:23 am 

ZardokhasSpoken wrote in Interesting Non-TSR Items Currently on eBay:How so?

I was half kidding but Uganda in the 1970's was the era of leadership by Idi Amin. So besides the quarter million people that were killed during his reign, the almost complete destruction of business, crops and wildlife: their Economy went completely in the toilet (no surprise obviously). So these fellas in Iowa decide it would be funny to make lite of the situation. Whole country is screwed, so lets crack a joke about it on our Zine Cover.

40 years later nobody has to care, but I thought it was worth pointing out. I grew up in the 70's, there's plenty in early gaming that's not PC or sensitive to problems other groups of people had - it's part of the charm of it since it is historically accurate of its time.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:58 am 

Interesting.  Thanks for the explanation.  I also saw they included Poland on issue #2, and various fantasy settings.  I was really curious about the content, but since I have other items on the watch list I most likely won't be bidding.  I hope whoever gets them will share some info about their contents!

Cheers!

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:01 pm 

One good thing about such references, even if crude or cold, they remind us of things in our human history that should not be forgotten, lest we allow such events to repeat themselves.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:58 pm 

ZardokhasSpoken wrote in Interesting Non-TSR Items Currently on eBay:One good thing about such references, even if crude or cold, they remind us of things in our human history that should not be forgotten, lest we allow such events to repeat themselves.

Absolutely agree!

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:57 pm 

Perhaps they were intentionally being ironic so as to draw attention to the plight of Uganda. I'm not saying that's where I'd put my money, but I'd say it's better to give people the benefit of the doubt. Especially gamers.

Shrink is not a condition

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:43 pm 

stratochamp wrote in Interesting Non-TSR Items Currently on eBay:Perhaps they were intentionally being ironic so as to draw attention to the plight of Uganda. I'm not saying that's where I'd put my money, but I'd say it's better to give people the benefit of the doubt. Especially gamers.

Definitely possible,

and definitely also true.

After doing a little research on Poland during that time and looking up Armenia in the 1970s, I do now wonder if the writers were trying to bring awareness like you said Stratochamp.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:03 am 

This probably belongs on OT, but pick 10 people in history, such as Amin, Hitler, Pol Pot and such and you come up with tens of millions of people killed by them. It's astounding.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:18 am 

Deadlord wrote in Interesting Non-TSR Items Currently on eBay:This probably belongs on OT, but pick 10 people in history, such as Amin, Hitler, Pol Pot and such and you come up with tens of millions of people killed by them. It's astounding.

The villain of history hardly anyone knows about is King Leopold of Belgium (1865 to 1909) who is responsible for the death of roughly ten million Congolese.  This is told in the book, King Leopold's Ghost, and is a fascinating and sad read.  It is astounding.   :cry:   I apologize for the off-topic rant.

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:11 pm 

benjoshua wrote in Interesting Non-TSR Items Currently on eBay:
Deadlord wrote in Interesting Non-TSR Items Currently on eBay:This probably belongs on OT, but pick 10 people in history, such as Amin, Hitler, Pol Pot and such and you come up with tens of millions of people killed by them. It's astounding.

The villain of history hardly anyone knows about is King Leopold of Belgium (1865 to 1909) who is responsible for the death of roughly ten million Congolese.  This is told in the book, King Leopold's Ghost, and is a fascinating and sad read.  It is astounding.   :cry:   I apologize for the off-topic rant.

Great book.  Very disturbing.  A good friend recently had a foreign exchange student from Belgium and I asked her about him.  She had no idea who he was.  She is 18.  I was very alarmed and concerned.  

BACK ON TOPIC!  Did you see the final price for Iowa City Wargaming zines?  Crazy!  Who won?  SO curious what kinds of info they contain!

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:34 pm 

ZardokhasSpoken wrote in Interesting Non-TSR Items Currently on eBay:Great book.  Very disturbing.  A good friend recently had a foreign exchange student from Belgium and I asked her about him.  She had no idea who he was.  She is 18.  I was very alarmed and concerned.  

King Leopold had a Congo museum built in Brussels made to resemble Versailles.  I talked to one of the caretakers inside many years ago, a native of Congo, and even he didn't know about the atrocities.   8O

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:23 am 

Mister Yuk wrote in Interesting Non-TSR Items Currently on eBay:After doing a little research on Poland during that time and looking up Armenia in the 1970s, I do now wonder if the writers were trying to bring awareness like you said Stratochamp.

Is the cover maybe trying to imply that US covert forces were active at the time in Poland, Armenia, & Uganda?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:11 am 

Albedo 1st print in shrink:

** eBay auction listing blocked.  Please enable cookies in your browser for this site and for eBay! **

Earthdawn Barsaive in shrink:  
** expired/removed eBay auction **

Allan.

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:55 am 

sauromatian wrote in Interesting Non-TSR Items Currently on eBay:
Mister Yuk wrote in Interesting Non-TSR Items Currently on eBay:After doing a little research on Poland during that time and looking up Armenia in the 1970s, I do now wonder if the writers were trying to bring awareness like you said Stratochamp.

Is the cover maybe trying to imply that US covert forces were active at the time in Poland, Armenia, & Uganda?

I try to wear my tin-foil hat only a minimal amount of the time but I don't put much past the US or most other Governments of Major Powers to do some pretty crappy things in the World. Or do nothing when when maybe they should have.

At this point though, determining the intention of what the author meant by adding those places with Iowa City and a short list of mythical places could probably only be explained by the Author himself or one of the Members that was privy to the Author's real intention. I remember the era well enough that the first thing I though of was the Ugandan Refugee jokes made around the same time.

Anyway, yes that was a pretty nice amount of loot those ended up going for. I get people that collect the early Zines, what a great way to really get a look into the minds of the people that played during that time period. Thanks ZardokhasSpoken for bringing it to all of our's attention - neat piece of history there!

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:10 am 

I have never heard Ugandan refugee jokes...and nor do I need to start now.

The seller probably would have gotten a lot more, but it decided to have a privacy block on bidders. I refuse to heavily participate in such an auction (or for any other blind internet auction where I can not see that other actual people are actually bidding and what there actual bids are), so I was only the third high bidder. At this time I simply can not trust that there are not shill bids being put forth to drive prices up, and I refuse to be a party to it.

Shrink is not a condition

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:08 pm 

tool wrote in Interesting Non-TSR Items Currently on eBay:
webrik33 wrote in Interesting Non-TSR Items Currently on eBay:Starfaring Fantasy Game Book Ken St Andre 1976 Flying Buffalo Rare LL 356 | eBay

Starfaring rpg Ken St Andre game book VERY RARE 1976 | eBay

Is this a 'thing that makes you go hmmmmm' or are these really that rare? I have no clue.

I'll be on ebay cruising around and it just amazes me how much prices have increased over the last several years!

It's not nearly that rare, or at least it didn't command those kind of prices a few years ago - I got about $65 each for my copies.

Also, the second one of those auctions is a recent unauthorized reprint - Flying Buffalo only produced them with the stapled red cover (I asked Rick Loomis about this when I first saw one of the pink comb-bound copies on eBay).

That is incorrect -   So as the story goes, the first print run with the cherry (red) cover has a 500 run that ran out . The next run of another 500 was supposed to be cherry as well, but the printer used "cherry blossom"(hence pink) and then spiral bound it. So between the first run and the second run ... Traveller was published. Equally short runs, but that is the difference and why one is cherry and the other is cherry blossom.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:25 pm 

Outlaw press was selling unatherized reprints of this for years - I think they were spiral bound.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:33 pm 

Mars wrote in Interesting Non-TSR Items Currently on eBay:Outlaw press was selling unatherized reprints of this for years - I think they were spiral bound.

you are correct,  they copied the 2nd printing (cherry blossom) version from 1976.  Take it for what its worth, couple of people over on the RPG forum specifically did the mail order back in 1977 and got the Cherry blossom version.  So, outlaw copied that version.  My version is from 1977 as well.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:34 pm 

Mars wrote in Interesting Non-TSR Items Currently on eBay:Outlaw press was selling unatherized reprints of this for years - I think they were spiral bound.

you are correct,  they copied the 2nd printing (cherry blossom) version from 1976.  Take it for what its worth, couple of people over on the RPG forum specifically did the mail order back in 1977 and got the Cherry blossom version.  So, outlaw copied that version.  My version is from 1977 as well.

PreviousNext
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 22 of 91123 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 ... 899091