Interesting Non-TSR Items Currently on eBay
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 17 of 92123 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 909192
Author

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:02 am 

Well,  it s you at least!

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:59 am 

stratochamp wrote in Interesting Non-TSR Items Currently on eBay:I've said this before, but generally speaking we as game collectors have not yet established that items in extremely nice shape (NM or even better) should be worth 5 times as much (for instance) as an item in merely fine shape. That's how it works in comic collecting and sports card collecting. I think we will get there one day, but we are not there yet. I think it possible that the reason this auction went so high is because a few folks thought that this might be one of their few chances to get this item in extremely nice shape. How many of us have a Guidon DGUTS in NM condition?

Agree, but at the same time because of those still playing with these items (and Gods bless every one of them) it skews the prices up for mid or lower grade books (play copies). Using sports cards as an example - most collectors won't even touch worn cards at any price except for the rares.
That's where I see a huge difference in collecting vintage RPG and Cards or Comics. My theory probably falls a little flat though taking into consideration some Comics, the Golden Age & Silver Age Keys.

This is meant to be in general and especially for early printings of the AD&D Core Rule Books (except for the 1st prints and the DMG 2nd Alpha print)

On the plus side, at least we don't have near the volatility of the Comic Book and Trading Card Marketplaces.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:44 pm 

I was giving a truncated version of my opinion Mister Yuk, the longer version of which agrees with what you said. Because these items CAN be used to play games with (shocking!) some people will want them for their gaming content. There are two factors at work here. Firstly, that we gaming collectors are not (across the board) discriminating collectors. Many are willing to have a copy that is in VG condition say, and at half the price of a NM copy. From my perspective that copy in that shape is too much money, but it is being driven by the other factor: many of the items that we collect are so much more scarce than sports cards or comics. We have so many collectables where there are only a handful of copies extant. I think we know of four copies of the Jade Hare with cover. I'm sure there are more, but they have not surfaced to our broader collecting community. How many copies of the Greyhawk reference sheets have surfaced? So it is understandable that for items with this level of scarcity that if one pops up, it will do well regardless of the condition. But with something like a Deities and Demigods 1st Pr, where there are so many copies available, I expect that eventually (although this might take awhile) there will be more of a separation between a NM copy and a VG copy.

Speaking just for myself, I have about 140 "older" items on my want list. I could knock off probably a third of them in a month if I would be willing to accept a place holder copy of that item. But I'm patient. I want to find an outstanding example of the item (while keeping my out out for a better one).

Shrink is not a condition

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:29 pm 

I hope you took no offense to me jumping in on your comment. I should have stated "and" instead of "but" so it didn't seem like I was trying to best you or something like that. I'm new here, you all have done the hard work and I want to contribute - I'm probably too zealous at times.

I love your response, not just in general - but directly pertaining to me. I wrote a paragraph about how I'm planning on collecting RPG items but it seemed unnecessary and off topic so I deleted that part of my comment.

You must be psychic for bringing up Deities & Demigods though. I studied auctions and sold BINs and read up on anything else I could for months and then what was my first purchase? Overpaying on a NOT very great condition 2nd print Deities & Demigods. If I learned something from it, that $55 was well spent and nothing to cry over :) I thought I saw a topic post a while back asking us to lay out exactly how-what-why each of us wants our collection to be. I've been debating to dig that up or start a new one - I would be really interested in what any of you thought about my goals and would love to see what all of your's are. What's your opinion? Should I do that or is there a better site for discussions like that.

Right or wrong, I also have a lot of opinions on the future of collecting this. I think a lot of it will depend on those kids gaming today, what they think of the older stuff when they get older (and have money to spend on it).

stratochamp wrote in Interesting Non-TSR Items Currently on eBay: Speaking just for myself, I have about 140 "older" items on my want list. I could knock off probably a third of them in a month if I would be willing to accept a place holder copy of that item. But I'm patient. I want to find an outstanding example of the item (while keeping my out out for a better one).

You've just described why about every hole in my comic book collection is there and I'm so nitpick-y about it I can't buy them online, I have to see them in person to be sure, LOL

Thank you so much for your reply, I hope you have a great weekend.

Jeff

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:22 pm 

Mister Yuk wrote in Interesting Non-TSR Items Currently on eBay:I thought I saw a topic post a while back asking us to lay out exactly how-what-why each of us wants our collection to be. I've been debating to dig that up or start a new one - I would be really interested in what any of you thought about my goals and would love to see what all of your's are. What's your opinion? Should I do that or is there a better site for discussions like that.

Since this thread is primarily about "Interesting Non-TSR Items Currently on eBay," I'd recommend starting a new thread or reviving a thread that you find most relevant to your collecting philosophy question.  Here are three possibilities.

Collecting Goals

Reflections of a low level RPG collector

Looking for advice

I hope this helps.  8)

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:03 am 

benjoshua wrote in Interesting Non-TSR Items Currently on eBay:
Mister Yuk wrote in Interesting Non-TSR Items Currently on eBay:I thought I saw a topic post a while back asking us to lay out exactly how-what-why each of us wants our collection to be. I've been debating to dig that up or start a new one - I would be really interested in what any of you thought about my goals and would love to see what all of your's are. What's your opinion? Should I do that or is there a better site for discussions like that.

Since this thread is primarily about "Interesting Non-TSR Items Currently on eBay," I'd recommend starting a new thread or reviving a thread that you find most relevant to your collecting philosophy question.  Here are three possibilities.

Collecting Goals

Reflections of a low level RPG collector

Looking for advice

I hope this helps.  8)

Thanks for taking the time to compile those. The first one is the one I'd seen before. I'll check out the other two also.

Another thank you for keeping me on message benjoshua

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:38 pm 

I took no offense at anything that you presented Jeff. I have made my thoughts known before and I try (I really do try) not to go on at length when the majority of our members have read my thoughts ad nauseum. Thanks for joining the Acaeum, and keep posting.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:07 pm 

stratochamp wrote in Interesting Non-TSR Items Currently on eBay:I took no offense at anything that you presented Jeff. I have made my thoughts known before and I try (I really do try) not to go on at length when the majority of our members have read my thoughts ad nauseum. Thanks for joining the Acaeum, and keep posting.

Thank you

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:39 am 

I'm nauseated with both of you, already!!!  :)

Martin

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:18 am 

Prufrock wrote in Interesting Non-TSR Items Currently on eBay:I'm nauseated with both of you, already!!!  :)

Martin

Speaking for myself only, it's always kind of been my Superpower  :P

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:07 am 

Wayne's Books has the blue-envelope (sealed) version of Hess Games' Dark Dungeons II for $15 @ http://www.waynesbooks.net/?page=shop/f ... set=0&fs=1

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:48 am 

** eBay auction listing blocked.  Please enable cookies in your browser for this site and for eBay! **

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:56 pm 

But on the other hand one needs to be able to pull the trigger on something truly rare regardless of the condition. I never thought I'd find an actual 1st print from 1979 of the Ironhedge book, but it just arrived. It is not in very good shape (maybe good-, I'm going to look at it further) but John Brooke, the author told me he only made 100 of them, none of his friends have one and he knows of no extant copies. So while I will keep looking for a nicer copy, I'm glad I picked up this one, because I truly do not know if I'll find another one.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:57 am 

aia wrote in Interesting Non-TSR Items Currently on eBay:** eBay auction listing blocked.  Please enable cookies in your browser for this site and for eBay! **

yeah, that was pretty sweet

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:09 am 

stratochamp wrote in Interesting Non-TSR Items Currently on eBay:But on the other hand one needs to be able to pull the trigger on something truly rare regardless of the condition. I never thought I'd find an actual 1st print from 1979 of the Ironhedge book, but it just arrived. It is not in very good shape (maybe good-, I'm going to look at it further) but John Brooke, the author told me he only made 100 of them, none of his friends have one and he knows of no extant copies. So while I will keep looking for a nicer copy, I'm glad I picked up this one, because I truly do not know if I'll find another one.

It can be tough sometimes if the price is high (or higher than expected). Especially when something is so rare that there's no info online to guide you. Just ran into an old wargame last week - I can't find anything on it except it's copyright entry.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:01 pm 

Mister Yuk wrote in Interesting Non-TSR Items Currently on eBay:
stratochamp wrote in Interesting Non-TSR Items Currently on eBay:But on the other hand one needs to be able to pull the trigger on something truly rare regardless of the condition. I never thought I'd find an actual 1st print from 1979 of the Ironhedge book, but it just arrived. It is not in very good shape (maybe good-, I'm going to look at it further) but John Brooke, the author told me he only made 100 of them, none of his friends have one and he knows of no extant copies. So while I will keep looking for a nicer copy, I'm glad I picked up this one, because I truly do not know if I'll find another one.

It can be tough sometimes if the price is high (or higher than expected). Especially when something is so rare that there's no info online to guide you. Just ran into an old wargame last week - I can't find anything on it except it's copyright entry.

Which wargame?

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:17 am 

tool wrote in Interesting Non-TSR Items Currently on eBay:
Which wargame?

Once Upon a Table by Richard Boyd & Guy Whitehead - Battle Axe Co 1977

The Auction ended tonight.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:47 am 

Howdy all,  does anyone knows of these (clearly) OSR rules:

http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Oakes_Spalding

Before purchase i d like to understand if these books are worth or not...

Thanks and ciaoo

PreviousNext
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 17 of 92123 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 909192