Interesting Non-TSR Items Currently on eBay
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 67 of 92123 ... 64, 65, 66, 67, 68 ... 909192
Author

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 1:52 am 

** expired/removed eBay auction **

Any thoughts on this? Do you find it a good product? ...or at least a good idea?

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 4:10 am 

I’d buy a copy I think

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 7:26 am 

I think I have the PDFs. I don't recall. It's an OSR white box clone. Maybe collectable in a few decades when the OSR has run its course and is 'vintage'. As a package it looks to be well presented and has shelf appeal. Its not a company that is going to survive, IMO, so it will become a curio to collectors of that sort of thing. Probably never likely to be worth anything remarkable, but low level collectable nonetheless.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 11:38 am 

The Rogue Comet website blog hasn't had a post in 3 yrs, so might have already gone under. It does say this white box set debuted at NTRPG Con in 2017, so presumably some people here have played it?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 4:06 pm 

I’m sure someone will have doubled their investment there in a few years. The OSR is well established and already has its fans and collectors. A decade from now there will be prices in the hundreds of dollars for some of stuff we can still buy for under fifty. As with much of the non-TSR stuff it will come down to how well it’s kept, how well it was presented at time of publication, and how obscure it ended up being. This one is a tidy little white box clone in the OD&D tradition, and may well be sought after.

However, if you want to read it and play it, it’s available on PDF virtually free, and like most OSR products, it’s gonna have to contend with the PoDs that surface on the back of PDF availability. It’s the box, and only the box, that has any real tangible value (until someone starts churning out boxes on demand at cost plus shipping in low numbers and turns that part of the market on its head too.)

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Dec 21, 2021 2:22 am 

I'm not sure if this counts as interesting, but it's definitely not interesting enough to merit its own thread:

Pre-painted metal figures of D&D size. It must have been an attempt to cash in on the popularity of D&D figures, albeit not commercially successful. Were these ever used much in the 1980s as RPG minis, or for wargaming? I don't think the manufacturer ever made an effort to sell these to the hobby market, which seems like an obvious missed opportunity. Does anyone out there collect them, or use them as game minis, or remember having these?

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Dec 21, 2021 11:55 pm 

What is the last book in the pic of this lot?

** eBay auction listing blocked.  Please enable cookies in your browser for this site and for eBay! **

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Dec 22, 2021 6:52 am 

aia wrote in Interesting Non-TSR Items Currently on eBay:What is the last book in the pic of this lot?

** eBay auction listing blocked.  Please enable cookies in your browser for this site and for eBay! **

I believe it is some kind of guide for a Society for Creative Anachronism participant. Caidis being one of their kingdoms in the US.

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Dec 22, 2021 9:51 am 

Another HB copy:

...i suspect that Mark is right...

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Dec 22, 2021 2:36 pm 

aia wrote in Interesting Non-TSR Items Currently on eBay:Another HB copy:

...i suspect that Mark is right...

You just have to look at their sales history and you can see the many copies of original GammaWorld hardcovers and others that they have sold.

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Dec 23, 2021 11:16 pm 

Looks like the signed, SW version went for a little more that the unsigned version:

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Dec 24, 2021 12:28 am 

What is this? Is it a part of a boxedset or similar?

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Fri Dec 24, 2021 12:30 pm 

aia wrote in Interesting Non-TSR Items Currently on eBay:What is this? Is it a part of a boxedset or similar?

The 1988 version of this? Call of Cthulhu Keeper's Screen - Wikipedia

Here is another listing which shows different portions of it:

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sun Dec 26, 2021 9:35 pm 

Correct. Part of one of the early Keeper Screens.

Areas of interest/knowledge: Harn, WFRP, Ars Magica, anything BRP based such as CoC, Runequest, Pendragon and all their related games

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 4:02 pm 

sauromatian wrote in Interesting Non-TSR Items Currently on eBay:I'm not sure if this counts as interesting, but it's definitely not interesting enough to merit its own thread:

Pre-painted metal figures of D&D size. It must have been an attempt to cash in on the popularity of D&D figures, albeit not commercially successful. Were these ever used much in the 1980s as RPG minis, or for wargaming? I don't think the manufacturer ever made an effort to sell these to the hobby market, which seems like an obvious missed opportunity. Does anyone out there collect them, or use them as game minis, or remember having these?

Neville Stocken (of Archive Miniatures) was the first to rip off SW with a miniature line for wargamers called "Star Rovers". I'd assume since Kenner had already seen someone successfully move a figure line in that scale, why not try it themselves since they could legally do so.
No surprise it wasn't successful. Whether it was from being put out much later, having their product located in toy stores instead of game stores and in catalogs where wargamers were used to buying their stuff, or too niche of a market for a monster toy company to deal with.
To me it's more simple and visual, Kenner didn't have a chance because you can't beat stormtroopers with bunny parts. I'm sorry.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 4:29 pm 

Mister Yuk wrote in Interesting Non-TSR Items Currently on eBay:Neville Stocken (of Archive Miniatures) was the first to rip off SW with a miniature line for wargamers called "Star Rovers".

I think I've seen ads for these. The ads usually had drawings of the figures, so I wondered how closely they resembled Star Wars.

Mister Yuk wrote in Interesting Non-TSR Items Currently on eBay:To me it's more simple and visual, Kenner didn't have a chance because you can't beat stormtroopers with bunny parts. I'm sorry.

No you can't, but now it looks like the opposite has happened: The latest SW Episode had 'Sith Jet Troopers' with red armor & jetpacks, a combination which looks somewhat like Warhammer 40K's Imperial Marines.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 5:48 pm 

sauromatian wrote in Interesting Non-TSR Items Currently on eBay:
I think I've seen ads for these. The ads usually had drawings of the figures, so I wondered how closely they resembled Star Wars.

Most of the line is pictured on the Lost Minis Wiki - Star Rovers (Archive) - Lost Minis Wiki

There is alot of stuff Mr Stocken told in the old Yahoo Groups about his process that was neat. I don't want to bore anyone too much, but will share one since it's represented in the Star Rovers line. People have always assumed that he did so many duck-like beings because he had the RQ line for a while. He said that absolutely wasn't true, he sculpted ducks because it was the one thing that kept his sanity intact while trying to run a small gaming company with his wife.
Reading that I thought, that is such an "Artist" thing to say, it's probably the truth.

sauromatian wrote in Interesting Non-TSR Items Currently on eBay:
No you can't, but now it looks like the opposite has happened: The latest SW Episode had 'Sith Jet Troopers' with red armor & jetpacks, a combination which looks somewhat like Warhammer 40K's Imperial Marines.

I'd assume Disney's Marketing Team told them it was a great idea lol.

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Dec 28, 2021 1:21 am 

Is this an exception or is as&sh 1E real value?!? ...i have never tracked it down and cant find other recent sales which can confirm it...

PreviousNext
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 67 of 92123 ... 64, 65, 66, 67, 68 ... 909192