Interesting Non-TSR Items Currently on eBay
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 58 of 92123 ... 55, 56, 57, 58, 59 ... 909192
Author

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Aug 29, 2021 1:31 am 

Excuse me... I miss smtg here: nearly 500 bucks for a bag of dice?!? What is there behind?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Aug 29, 2021 8:26 am 

Something for someone who knows something about stupidly rare dice examples, and collects such things. Clearly the seller does, as they photographed them meticulously. I never really had much interest, although I do wish I'd kept ahold of one of the pairs of Olidamara dice I had.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sun Aug 29, 2021 3:53 pm 

aia wrote in Interesting Non-TSR Items Currently on eBay:Excuse me... I miss smtg here: nearly 500 bucks for a bag of dice?!? What is there behind?

Here are a few quotes from the Creative Publications paper inserts:

"...believed to have strange, cosmic meanings."

"...often called Platonic Solids."

You know how when a girl says she just likes you as a friend & wants to keep it platonic, & you wish you had a magic charm to get into her pants? Well worth the current bidding price.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 11:33 am 

** expired/removed eBay auction **

Something for anyone who collects foreign non-TSR D&D. There are nine of these modules in total, pretty similar to the stuff coming out of the UK at the time in feel, cartography, etc. But they're pretty rare. I see maybe one or two copies cropping up a year. A fair price too.

A poor translation thanks to Google from the Introduction page.....

For many long years, war has raged between the northern kingdoms and the forces of the Necromancers. War is also a misnomer; it is in fact a constant pressure on all the borders, and raids in all the coastal towns. Since the great battle of the Equinox which saw the victory of the "Free People", the kingdoms have turned in on themselves. The alliance between all the peoples against the Common enemy broke from the end of the battle in the confusion which reigned following the death of all the great captains. For a time, the necromancer forces seemed to wane, but on the second anniversary of the battle, five towns near the southern border were razed to the ground.

No one knows where exactly the territory of the necromancers is. The grassy steppes of KHARTAN, which extend beyond the southern border, are too often the scene of skirmishes where many men lose their lives. What makes some say that it is in the ruins, which one can find in the south of the steppes, that the great masters of the black orders took refuge. Others, basing themselves on the direction taken by the big black ships which raid the coasts, claim that the lands of the South are only vassal places of the necromancers, and that their real stronghold is a land in the West of the soul.

As a rule, ships from the Northern Kingdoms never venture outside of sight of the dimensions, whether for fishing or for trade. Knowledge has been lost, the sea has become a mysterious and worrying thing, even for those who live from it.

Just as the enemy does not have a precise geographic situation, so do the creatures who. Their strength is hardly better known. The raids of the southern border are very often the fact of creatures of nightmares, according to the survivors when there are any. Legends say that during the great battle of the Equinox, the steppe was black with living dead who advanced in slow irresistible waves to assault the fortifications of the "Free People". The black ships undeniably have human crews, but their ferocity is so great that, according to a fisherman's proverb, it is better to surrender to the sharks, because to be shredded alive is a sweet death compared to what these infernal crews reserve. to their prisoners. On the other hand, if the crews are human, no one has ever seen what the rowers of these large galleries are. Even for laymen, the movement of the huge oars has something that gives off an indefinable uneasiness, even an instinctive feeling of disgust. Finally, never confirmed rumors state strange birds that kidnap travelers to torment them for days.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 12:46 am 

For the true cultist:

** eBay auction listing blocked.  Please enable cookies in your browser for this site and for eBay! **

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 12:59 am 

This used to go for higher values than this BIN:

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 6:08 pm 

[quote="mbassoc2003";p=340435]

Something for anyone who collects foreign non-TSR D&D. There are nine of these modules in total, pretty similar to the stuff coming out of the UK at the time in feel, cartography, etc. But they're pretty rare. I see maybe one or two copies cropping up a year. A fair price too.

Nine as in nine different ones, not nine modules printed, right?

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 10:40 am 

Deadlord wrote in Interesting Non-TSR Items Currently on eBay:Nine as in nine different ones, not nine modules printed, right?

Yep. Nine different modules put out by Le Dernier Cercle.
That said, don't imagine the print runs were very high. I've been watching them for years and they very rarely come up. Maybe its a cultural thing. Maybe the French do not believe in buying and selling on eBay as a culture the way others do? Or maybe they just bin stuff when they are done, or stick it all in storage as 'family property' handed down through generations. Who knows? But if I were watching a UK published product line, and say so few copies making it to market, I'd be guessing at print runs of a couple of hundred units a piece.
Do any of our French members remember these being available in local games stores back in the late 80's? Or were these mail order only?
Either way, pretty high quality products for the time, and stupidly rare and difficult to read in the English speaking world.
Maybe one day I'll translate one.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 3:14 pm 

Yes print runs was low (around 200-300 copies). Le Dernier Cercle modules were French generic modules with one of the highest run among all French generic modules.
There is several publishers like this one:
- AMJ with 8 modules (4 in A5 format, 4 in A4 format).
- Nouvelles Editions Fantastiques (NEF), with 9 modules (some are very rare, perhaps less than 30-40 copies), 2 are in similar quality to Dernier cercle.
- Editions du Dragon Ludique with 2 modules (very rares too), similar in quality to Dernier cercle.
- Nergal with two modules, similar in quality to Dernier cercle.
Some others (Etoile du Sud, Epopée F-M, Thierry Lacoste, Polyèdre, Schizoïde). Less than 5 copies of each module made by these publishers still exist.
Most of them were sold locally or by mail order.

I have an old picture with some of them.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Adventures in Austerion : a fantasy RPG, with boardgame mechanisms and modular battlemap. By Guillaume Tavernier and Géraud G.

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 3:42 am 

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 1:54 pm 

aia wrote in Interesting Non-TSR Items Currently on eBay:

Decent prices

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 12:24 am 

ashmire13 wrote in Interesting Non-TSR Items Currently on eBay:
Decent prices

I'd say great scores considering that content looked uncut and unused!

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:03 am 

I know it'd not be labeled interesting and it is an italian product, but this deserves a 5 mintues glory here:

Translated it'd be "Battlecows - Fights between armored cows"

Ciaooo

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:25 am 

Italian version of Battle Cattle. There's also a second edition, and a line of minis that go with it.  8O

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 2:57 am 

** eBay auction listing blocked.  Please enable cookies in your browser for this site and for eBay! **

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:53 pm 

Seller has a few issues at reasonable prices.

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 3:36 am 

I never realized that there is a version of Galloway's Fantasy Wargaming with the same size of the !e hardbacks!

My copy is definitely smaller that this version... Is there anywhere i can understand the different printings/editions?

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:22 am 

aia wrote in Interesting Non-TSR Items Currently on eBay:My copy is definitely smaller that this version... Is there anywhere i can understand the different printings/editions?

I think stratochamp mentioned having four, which are possibly:

1. The original 1981 UK edition (which I have never seen, & don't know if it has hardback or paperback binding)
2. The 1982 US version, the nicely produced hardback in the auction
3. The US book-club edition, a hardback with a dustjacket & uneven page edges
4. Maybe the UK book-club edition? Perhaps strato can fill us in.

PreviousNext
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 58 of 92123 ... 55, 56, 57, 58, 59 ... 909192