ThrowiGames Books - Question
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:01 am 

Good morning all!

I've never been a big fan of KS stretch goals - too many seem to ruin project execution and I don't want anything to slow down my project delivery.  That being said, I'm looking at a couple for the next book, God Slayers.

I'm staying away from miniatures (that's not an area I really want to get into), and generally write the book in advance, so stretch goals in the form of extra material isn't really for my projects either [note that this book is already going to be 32+ pages].

Would people use a 11x17 1" scale battle mat (from the final battle scene in the book)?  Is this a useful stretch goal for players that use minis?  What about pre-generated characters?

Your thoughts on the matter would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Thom (throwi)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 1:41 pm 

throwi wrote in ThrowiGames Books - Question:Good morning all!

Would people use a 11x17 1" scale battle mat (from the final battle scene in the book)?  Is this a useful stretch goal for players that use minis?  What about pre-generated characters?

Your thoughts on the matter would be greatly appreciated.

Hi- personally I would not find the battle mat useful but maybe others would. Pre-gens... possibly if they are interesting and do a good job of catching my attention. Not certain I'd use them but would probably read them over to mine for ideas and such.

I think additional art or maps make good stretch goals, I always like those. Or upgrades to existing ones, like color art instead of B&W, etc.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 1:55 pm 

Thanks for the feedback.  Adding color maps (or anything color to the interior) can be a costly upgrade but I'm going to check with my new printer for costs.

Extra art will be a stretch goal, but in a limited way (back cover illustration) - my books are generally 100% written and laid out before I launch the KS.  Not a lot of room for expansion.

I thought also about including another digest-sized book, a standalone with a limited print run.

Thanks!

~throwi

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:28 am 

If not room in the book, how would pricing look for a separate color map?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:44 am 

aspekt,

That's a great idea and one I can investigate further.  I'll get back to you on that, or more likely, introduce it into the KS project as a goal if it is doable.

Just so we're on the same page, I'm assuming that you mean color map(s) for the general encounter area/region within the adventure, not the battle map I spoke of earlier?

Thanks!

~throwi

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:05 am 

Yes, regional maps would be correct.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:09 am 

throwi wrote in ThrowiGames Books - Question:The highly anticipated ;-) conclusion to the False Promises series, "God Slayers" is about 50% complete.  I'm targeting an end of September release.  

Thom - just wanted to check on the status of FP part 3.  Hope I didn't miss it.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:18 pm 

I'd be curious as well about this KS project start date.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 8:37 am 

Brian2112 wrote in ThrowiGames Books - Question:
throwi wrote in ThrowiGames Books - Question:The highly anticipated ;-) conclusion to the False Promises series, "God Slayers" is about 50% complete.  I'm targeting an end of September release.  

Thom - just wanted to check on the status of FP part 3.  Hope I didn't miss it.

Brian,

No, you didn't miss it.  I'm most of the way through it now.  The delay is pretty much due to two family events, one my daughter's wedding, and the other, the big "C" hitting my mother - my siblings and I have been helping out and traveling to FL as needed.

I should have the writing/re-playtesting/editing part of the book done before month's end (although I'll be in FL from the 28th to Nov 4th).  My target dates are:  writing complete by October 16th, new areas playtested by October 22nd, final edits by October 25th, finished art and cartography through November and by KS project's end.  The color cover is complete, three interior images complete, 4 of the dozen or so maps are also completed.  I've removed quite a bit of unnecessary content (extra levels and encounters unrelated to the story) to get this book down under 50 pages (Like other books, I'll probably make the "extra" content free to download on my website).  I have increased by font size from 8 to 10 - I really like how it looks.

aspekt wrote in ThrowiGames Books - Question:I'd be curious as well about this KS project start date.

aspekt,

Right now, the tentative date for project kickoff is the 23rd.  It will be around a 30 day project, ending on November 20th or so.  There is a chance it may start earlier - of course, this forum is always the first to know when my project is ready to go live.

I'll add the color cover to this thread shortly.

Thanks!

Thom
ThrowiGames

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 8:41 am 

Here's the cover (so far)...

~throwi

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:33 pm 

Nice cover. I likey.

Hope I've got some extra funds for you when it starts.

And I am sorry to hear about the family struggle. I spent a little over two years taking care of my father till he passed September of last year. My mom beat the big C a few years back. Maybe just me, but mom's are made of pretty tough stuff.    PDT_Armataz_01_01     I hope all goes well for yours.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 10:23 am 

Thanks aspekt, I've already lost one parent that way, which makes this recent news a bit harder to deal with.

That being said, writing is a great outlet for when the mind is troubled.  As is my normal method, I've written three full adventure scenarios in my notebooks while in my travels and idle time away from my computer - once typed up, and art/cartogrpahy added, I may offer them as additional rewards or later as part of a boxed set in 2016.  I also have a great solo adventure that I'd like to put together for entry into the 3C NTX '16 if I can finish it in time...

I have a bit of time at home before my next FL trip - enough time to complete God Slayers, playtest the new/changed scenarios, coordinate the final maps and art, and launch the KS project.

Thanks all!

Thom

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 8:37 pm 

Obscure even for me, just a pic to share... lucked into a second Blunder, this one unsigned to make a pair.  Don't mind the Halloween candy ;)

I draw the line at collecting... D&D beach towels.

Shoulda been: ".. from Pangreenia to Floratopolis, from mystical Treeonia of spectral Forests to Schruborial dimensions." - The Forests of Leng

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:11 am 

Nice Thunderdave!  I don't even have 2 copies.  :-)

~throwi

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 1:52 pm 

God Slayers - Update 11/18/2015

Well, we're into the last section of the book now, editing and layout, with cartography nearly done (only three more maps to go).  Illustrations are behind schedule but I'm not too worried; these can be completed during the KS.  Page count is going to be in the 40/44 page range (depends on Appendix layout and KS goals).  Target date to KS launch is likely the next 2 weeks.

As a reminder, God Slayers is part three of the 3-part False Promises series... finally wrapping this one up!

Thanks,

Thom (throwi)

Previous