ThrowiGames Books - Question
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:31 am 

Good morning all!

As I work to finish 'God Slayers' (part three, the final book in the False promises series), I was hoping you all could answer one important question for me...

I've been producing books in a size 8 font but haven't heard from many on the tiny print - should I continue to print with this size or should I move up to size 10 for easier reading?  I myself have seen a degradation in my own eyesight in the last few years - the size 8 does require my x1.5 readers in poor lighting.  Size 10 would increase the page count slightly; size 8 allows me to put more content on a page.

Thoughts?

~throwi

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:28 am 

I once bought a cool looking OSR RPG, only to find out that when it arrived, the print was so small it gave me eyestrain. I still haven't read it, and I haven't bought anything from that publisher since.

I also have declining eyesight. If you're geared towards an OSR audience, many will have the same problem. That is why everything my company Vanquishing Leviathan LLC puts out has a decent print size.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 1:03 pm 

I have been able to read your modules mainly because I have bifocals.  However, going to size 10 would be a great help.  If it does not up you cost significanly, I would like to see you move to font size 10.

Martin

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 1:08 pm 

10pt has my vote.  I don't think 8pt is normally used.  Too small, unless your target audience is just younger people.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 2:58 pm 

Yeah, 10pt gets my vote too.  Getting old bites.  :oops:  :?

Carpe DM!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 3:25 pm 

Alright, thanks to all of you who have responded - I appreciate the feedback.

I used size 8 because I wanted to fill up each page fully... I realize that a smaller font also makes it hard to read.  Imagine sitting down to play an adventure you wrote and not being able to read the text (yeah, that was me a few weeks ago!)...  As for the cost, I don't think it's that significant.

Based on the responses, I'm going to print God Slayers with a size 10 Boot Antiqua font (for general content).

Thanks,

~throwi

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 3:40 pm 

Thom---

In addition to bumping up the size of your existing font, you may want to consider others fonts too as you noodle through this decision. Not all fonts are created equal in terms of their readability, and some are larger than others, even when both in the same font point size.  Others offer more or less kerning, which impacts readability too.

I'm not making any specific recommendations above since I've not seen any of your books, and don't know what fonts you're using today.

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 4:17 pm 

Grodog,

I use Book Antiqua - I really like the format and layout of it.  I've played with others in the past but I always seem to go back to this one.

~throwi

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:28 pm 

throwi wrote in ThrowiGames Books - Question:I use Book Antiqua - I really like the format and layout of it.  I've played with others in the past but I always seem to go back to this one.

One of my favorites :)

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:59 am 

late vote like font size 10 better.
I too am older...

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:20 am 

As the proud owner of 2 ThrowiGames books I had to go back and take a look last night... I think I'd be fine either way. I don't have any problems with 8, I think the books look quite nice as is. But I certainly don't think a move to 10 would hurt anything if you say the costs to print aren't that significant. If it makes your work more accessible then I say do it!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 3:12 pm 

Gnat and Wjaehnig,

Thanks for the input!  I'm going to print the next book with font size 10.  Everyone (including me) likes the little bump up in size.  It's not like the players are all kids y'know.  ;-)

~throwi

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 1:58 pm 

Although I do not mind at all receiving books with small fonts I will add I have been praised for larger fonts (I use garamond 11 in modern style releases and whatever the TSR font equivalent is at 11 for old-style print items).

I do not value tight copy much so I may not be they best one to offer an opinion on this.

Zach

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:34 am 

Zach,

Thanks for your input.  

I'm going to test out size 10 and 11 Book Antiqua font going forward.

~throwi

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:37 am 

All,

The highly anticipated ;-) conclusion to the False Promises series, "God Slayers" is about 50% complete.  I'm targeting an end of September release.  My last book (different series) "In Defense of Thuil" was sold directly to you all here at Acaeum *and* as a Kickstarter.  I'd like to avoid the double work if possible; is there anyone who flat out refuses to use KS to get RPG materials?  

Thanks,

Thom

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 12:01 pm 

Flat out refuse to use KS? No, and from someone like yourself I'd be OK doing it again. But I have dramatically reduced my KS backing after getting burned a bunch of times now. For me if you're not an Acaeumite or a well know industry figure like Elmore or Ernie Gygax I'm pretty much done with KS.

Sad it has gotten to this point but it is what it is.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 12:49 pm 

Unless you're peddling a bunch of cheap plastic minis, or you have a reputation in the community eg. Talanian/Metcalf/Nogrod, no more KS for me.  I don't need the stress.

I'll back yours though Throwi if you go that route.

I draw the line at collecting... D&D beach towels.

Shoulda been: ".. from Pangreenia to Floratopolis, from mystical Treeonia of spectral Forests to Schruborial dimensions." - The Forests of Leng

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:17 pm 

I would agree to be a backer for KS for your books, but as a rule I no longer back KS unless its one of Nogrod's

My preferred choice would be buying direct from you as I have in the past.

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Next