Chaosium shake up
Author

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 4:44 am 

rmeints wrote in Chaosium shake up:I'm willing to answer questions related to reprints and such. What would you like to know?

A few licenses or game rights that Chaosium no longer has, though: Ringworld, Stormbringer/Elric, Thieves' World, Troy.

Would a hardcover book containing Worlds of Wonder be of interest? How about Questworld? or Superworld?

Rick Meints
President
Chaosium Inc.

Congratulations Rick!

Shrink is not a condition

Collector

Post Posted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 5:47 am 

So important, I had to create an account ...

rmeints wrote in Chaosium shake up:I'm willing to answer questions related to reprints and such. What would you like to know?

A few licenses or game rights that Chaosium no longer has, though: Ringworld, Stormbringer/Elric, Thieves' World, Troy.

Would a hardcover book containing Worlds of Wonder be of interest? How about Questworld? or Superworld?

Personally, I am not that interested in Questworld or Superworld, although they are good supplements. Worlds of Wonder might be more useful, as it contains Future World.

But, what I would really, really like is a Gloranthan Classics version of the RQ3 Prax material - River of Cradles, Sun County, Shadows on the Borderlands and Strangers in Prax. That would fit in well with the current Gloranthan Classics and would complete the RQ2/RQ3 Praxian arc.

Ideally, I would like all the RQ2 and RQ3 material available as PDFs, to complete my collection.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:13 am 

Sardan wrote in Chaosium shake up:I'd like to see Gloranthan Classics back in print and then everything in PDFs (and print on demand possibly via anthologies) see D&D classics and the originaller Traveller Reprints as good examples.

Three of the four volumes of the Gloranthan Classics are still in print, btw. I am working on getting volume 1: Pavis & Big Rubble back into print.
All 4 have been available in PDF for many years now.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 9:32 am 

I would be happy with PDFs of original publications for the nonce, as I'm sure Chaosium have a couple or six other things to be getting on with. I know some people are concerned that re-issues might take away resources from new product, so PDFs might be a way to generate income with minimal time investment. I guess PoD is not much work once you have PDFs, but PDFs might be a good way of gauging which are actually popular enough to warrant adding to the PoD line-up.

While original versions of RQ2 supplements would be nice, I'm very happy with the Gloranthan Classics for now so those are probably not a priority unless they are not included in those compilations. However, I think a RQ2 rule book should be very popular as that would allow years of gaming with the Classics.

I would also like to see a PDF of RQ1, just to trace the changes.

What is the situation with RQ3? Does Chaosium have the rights to the material published under Avalon Hill?

And is there any possibility of PDFs of the Tales of the Reaching Moon?

Collector

Post Posted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:50 am 

Rick Meints
President
Chaosium Inc.

I'd happily buy reprints of WoW, SW AND Questworld.

Any chance you could persuade Dave Morris to release the material he wrote for GWs QuestWorld, that he found a few years back? :D

Nick

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:04 am 

By the way, Superworld is already on DTRPG: DriveThruRPG.com - Chaosium - SuperWorld - The Largest RPG Download Store!

Collector

Post Posted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:13 am 

I would like to see all of the games listed in PDF.

However, I am running a WoW Future World right now and my copy of Future World is running a little ragged. Having a new copy would be good. Especially a Hard Copy. I think 2 or 3 of my players would like to have one also. With only one copy to pass around???

I liked the concept of Questworld as it was originally presented, with various companies developing and printing sections of the World. So for me anything that did not continue that frame would make me less interested, (I would probable buy material for it, just probably not as fast.) PDF/POD I would buy. Preferably single book. Hard copy I would like best.

RQ2 Chaosium, Circa 1980. This is the first BRP/D100 % game I ever played, and it is still the game of preference for me, even after 30 years. It is the one that I end up using to introduce new players to the BRP/D100 % Gaming System. I quess I would call it Basic Runequest. When I found it was out of print I went and bought 6 additional copies over the years. Most from little book/gaming stores where I travelled. I like the Background developement for characters, Mercenaries, Thief, apprentice. Helps get players into concepts of the game. One last advantage to RQ2 is the additional forms for creating new encounters in the back. Making it convienent to add things on the fly. Or before the gaming session on Homebrew/Sandbox games.

While it was not mentioned, I would like to put in a plug on the Chaosium BRP Gold Book. While I do not use it as much as the others, having a book available for conversions of one genre to another has been a big advantage. I can keep my players on their toes by bringing in unusual circumstances, people and equipment. It is much harder to bring in things from say "Hawkmoon" or "Ringworld". It was actually far easier to bring in races and other items from Other Suns.

Although they are not an official part of Chaosium, there several books that I use for every group of new players and it has been nice to have them around is Judge's Guild; Duck Tower, Duck Pond, and Broken Tree Inn. If a deal with Judges Guild could be worked out, I could use new copies. Why I like them has to do with their ease of encounters and they are generic. Great for starter players to practice with and get an idea of how the game is played and easier for them to let go of PC's if they die. With newspaper print, I could write on them and erase with a pencil. I eventually put acetate over the areas for encounters so I could write on it and not mess up the books. Having PDF for home print for the encounters would sure be a big advantage. The same for all the RQ books. Having seperate pages for encounters would be nice.

I would like to see more monsters. Specifically "All The Worlds Monsters". Book 3 had a conversion table and having a book already converted to BRP/D100 Rq2 would have saved me a lot of work and given more time for play. Most of my players have joined the group from D&D and quite often expect more "Traditional Monsters". And they do expect the more traditional because they grew up with concepts of Dragons and Giants and Orcs and Goblins.  I do like the Bestiaries. A combined book would be nice. Quite often having to explain some of the monsters has led to some interesting questions. "What is a Headhanger?" "What does a Charnjibber do?"

I know that this was not about changing the books, yet having played BRP/D100 % for 30 years I could not help making suggestions on items that I have had to use/improve/change.  :roll:

Anyway that is my few Clacks worth. Well more like a small handful.  :o

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:24 am 

There are a surprising number of Chaosium back catalogue PDFs already on DTRPG, even including All The Worlds' Monsters: DriveThruRPG.com - Chaosium - The Largest RPG Download Store!

Judges Guild RuneQuest products are also there: DriveThruRPG.com - Judges Guild - The Largest RPG Download Store!

Of course, it would be very nice to have the WoW books available in print-on-demand. I'd actually prefer to have the individual saddle-stitched versions as it's rare that I would use all of them at the same time, but a compiled hardcover would be fine with me, too. Any WoW at all would be fine with me.  :mrgreen:

Collector

Post Posted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:43 am 

A few licenses or game rights that Chaosium no longer has, though: Thieves' World.

That's to bad. A Copy of "Cities" would be a big advantage for GM's.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 12:55 pm 

Unfinished drafts! Good way to create a long tail for projects where the plug was pulled and monetize the archive. All the "never was" can be made available. Thanks, Rick. Excited!

Collector

Post Posted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 3:57 pm 

I would like to see Superworld available again, if only as POD.  In addition to enjoying four-color campaigns, I find the powers useful for all sorts of non-superhero-y things, such as creating monsters, aliens, and boss villains.  Another thing I'd like to see is a reprint of Call of Cthulhu's back catalog of adventures.  Everyone boasts about how there is 30 years of material for the game, but the truth is that most of it is out of print with surviving mouldering manuscripts available at Amazon or e-Bay at outrageous prices.  Again, POD is the place to be.

Here's another plug for the Big Gold Book.  Having a common toolkit for all role-playing genres is a beautiful thing.   :)

Collector

Post Posted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:46 pm 

Top two interests:

1. Reprinting the CoC solitaire adventures as well as the Soloquest (RQ) ones?

2. Steve Perrin. Have him on tap for anything?

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:02 pm 

RuneQuest POD/PDF wishlist:

1. A compilation of Wyrm's Footnotes, with or without the stuff that has already been reprinted in Wyrm's Footprints and the Runequest Companion, but WITH the RQ material from Different Worlds

2. Apple Lane -- Snakepipe Hollow -- TrollPak compilation

3. RuneQuest Second Edition premium reprint (not POD), perhaps with The Gateway Bestiary thrown in.

4. Any reconfiguration of the above material; and don't forget Pavis & Big Rubble to POD at least!

I'd also like to see Call of Cthulhu 3rd Edition available in POD/PDF. I'd like the 191-page compilation book (the "GW hardcover" for use of the keeper) as well as a book that combines only "The Investigators' Book" and the "Sourcebook For The 1920s" (from the boxed set; for investigators).

Michael Falconer – http://oldschooltrek.proboards.com/
“Not we but those who come after will make the legends of our time.  The green earth, say you?  That is a mighty matter of legend, though you tread it under the light of day!” —J.R.R. Tolkien

WWW ICQ  

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 12:09 am 

Falconer wrote in Chaosium shake up:3. RuneQuest Second Edition premium reprint (not POD), perhaps with The Gateway Bestiary thrown in.

A new book like the legendary indestructible RQ2 hardcover would be a fine thing indeed, although it would take some work finding a printer that can match that level of quality. Still, I'd buy it!  PDT_Armataz_01_11

Collector

Post Posted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 12:58 am 

Ooh, this is exciting...

I'd love PDF backup for all my originals.

And then Wyrms Footprints and the few items I DON'T have... (which mostly comes down to the Solo Quests and Scorpion Men & Broos.

Frank

Collector

Post Posted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:37 pm 

Just putting my vote in for a hardcover Worlds of Wonder, and I second the comment that this could be the springboard for a generic line, much like the current BRP BGB. The name BRP needs to encompass CoC, RQ, WoW, rather than be a separate system.
A hardcover WoW is a nice place to start and will keep mature fans on board Rick

Collector

Post Posted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 3:26 am 

I would support pdfs of Worlds of Wonder and Gloranthan material.  I would also ask, if there are no license issues, for the release of the Elfquest line.  It was my first attempt at GMing (didn't go well!) plus the comic collections have recently been released in new massive digest forms so the timing is appropriate.

Collector

Post Posted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 2:40 pm 

The board games White Bear & Red Moon/Dragon Pass and Nomad Gods would be great to see re-issued. Also, if the third game could ever see print, Masters of Luck and Death (Holy Country) it would be awesome. This with Sandy's Gods War is my Holy Grail of Glorantha non-RPG gaming. I like the Oriflam editions I own, but that is not the same.

I second the reprinting of Wyrm's Footnotes. It would be nice to see a professional official Glorantha zine. Maybe continuing with Wyrm's Footnotes #16.

It would be nice to see the old Source/Scenario Packs reprinted, possibly in one volume. And Trollpak!

I suspect Different Worlds may be more of an issue with contacting authors.

Is there any chance of the rights to the Avalon Hill releases being acquired by Chaosium? At least the Gloranthan material (Gods of Glorantha, Gloranthan Bestiary, Glorantha: Genertela, Crucible of the Hero Wars, Into the Troll Realms, Troll Gods, Elder Secrets, The Haunted Ruins, Sun County, River of Cradles, Dorastor, Shadows on the Borderland, Strangers in Prax, Lords of Terror). A version of the Dragon Pass(boardgame) map would be awesome!

I would love to have PDF versions of my old books. I would gladly pay for a legal PDF.

PreviousNext