Chaosium shake up
Author

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 5:31 pm 

Because we shouldn't be the only RPG board out there not talking about this...

GREG STAFFORD & SANDY PETERSEN REJOIN CHAOSIUM INC.

Areas of interest/knowledge: Harn, WFRP, Ars Magica, anything BRP based such as CoC, Runequest, Pendragon and all their related games

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 6:12 pm 

There is an audio interview on the Yog-Sothoth.com forum with Sandy Petersen that goes into some of the details and the mechanics of the ownership change.

yog-sothoth.com/articles.html/_/main/th ... -interview

Check out my Chaosium sourcebook.
Secrets of Tibet

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:15 am 

Something that no-one seems to have mentioned is that it would now be possible for Chaosium to re-issue a lot of their old Gloranthan products, at least in PDF and PoD, like WotC did with their "every edition available again" initiative.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 9:41 am 

More news...

Moon Design (Jeff Richard and Rick Meints) has been the licensee for Glorantha for a while now, and has gotten Ennies and other awards for their work.

I am looking at Jeff's new business card:
Vice President & Creative Director, Chaosium
[email protected]

...and so Greg & Sandy can focus on creation, while Jeff (Berlin Germany) & Rick (Michigan USA) mind the store.

Looks good to me; we'll see what pops. :)

F

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 1:43 pm 

ExTSR wrote in Chaosium shake up:we'll see what pops. :)

F

The weasel.

It's always the weasel.

Art of dragons doing what dragons do. Site of a friend. Dragonstuff

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 5:58 pm 

I'm willing to answer questions related to reprints and such. What would you like to know?

A few licenses or game rights that Chaosium no longer has, though: Ringworld, Stormbringer/Elric, Thieves' World, Troy.

Would a hardcover book containing Worlds of Wonder be of interest? How about Questworld? or Superworld?

Rick Meints
President
Chaosium Inc.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 7:38 pm 

I would snap up a hardcover WoW in a shot, whether a new layout with new art, or just the old material combined into one!    8)

And reprints or PDFs of Wyrm's Footnotes and the Gateway Bestiary.

Questworld, probably, especially if it became some sort of "open world" for further development by Chaosium and other publishers the way it was originally intended.

Superworld, no, just because I don't play supers games in general. But I bet Steve Perrin would be interested.

Is there any possibility of PDFs of Chaosium's old RQ1, RQ2, and RQ3 material appearing, a la WotC's D&D Classics? Maybe with a nice historical intro on the website by Pete Maranci?  :wink:

You might want to ask this question on Basic Roleplaying Central, I suspect you'd get a lot of feedback. Forums - BRP Central

Collector

Post Posted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 8:43 pm 

The Worlds of Wonder set could be a viable way of developing the whole BRP concept, but it could be done through an ongoing series of self contained genre books, akin to Magic World as it is, rather than make a new book or box set.

A revised Super World and Future World would be next, but could then be followed by a Wild West World (maybe using Aces High as the basis), Pirate World, Post-Apocalyptic World, Ancient World (Greece), Cyber World and so on. Admittedly, Magic World would likely sell more than the others and it is really more based on the old Elric! rules rather than the original Magic World from WoW.  

I'm a bit wary of just making a whole new generic system book though, because we have had so many in different forms released over the last few years. They require ongoing supplemental support (like GURPS) to truly be useful or inspiring, and I'm not sure that you're intending to give these games that level of support.

I would be interested in seeing The Design Mechanism's Adventures of Luther Arkwright developed into a fully fledged and standalone game though. To me, this is the natural successor to Stormbringer/Elric!, insofar that it captures a lot of the Moorecockian themes (the Multiverse, Chaos vs Law, etc) but is a dimension hopping, alternative worlds modern setting, rather than swords and sorcery and is thus more distinct from RuneQuest and other fantasy settings in Chaosium's stable.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 10:02 pm 

I think Rick is asking about re-prints rather than developments of the BRP line, Trippy. Although I could be wrong, of course.  :)

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 10:08 pm 

Wyrms Footnotes back issues are on our list of things to make available. The beauty of modern technology for these things is that they can made available relatively easily as PDF and as Print on Demand for relatively little investment. PDFs themselves are nice, but I love holding a printed book in my hands all the more.

Stay tuned for more on early RQ. We certainly have all the rights and files. As for an intro, I already have that written, as I know a fair bit of the history of it myself, as part of doing both the Meints Index to Glorantha and via the Gloranthan Classics. Maranci's info is generally fine, although I should point out that a number of things found therein are based on info gathered (and quoted) from me. :-)

Regards,

Rick Meints
President - Chaosium Inc.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 10:32 pm 

That all sounds splendid! :D

Going back to your point about a WoW hardcover (which I guess could apply to any of the boxed sets Chaosium has the rights for), are you thinking of a completely integrated book with revamped layout and art, or simply a compilation of the original material, or something in between?

I'd be happy with either, although obviously the latter would be on my shelf sooner!

Collector

Post Posted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 11:11 pm 

rmeints wrote in Chaosium shake up:Would a hardcover book containing Worlds of Wonder be of interest? How about Questworld? or Superworld?

Rick Meints
President
Chaosium Inc.

Yes! Please!

SDLeary

Collector

Post Posted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 11:21 pm 

rmeints wrote in Chaosium shake up:Wyrms Footnotes back issues are on our list of things to make available. The beauty of modern technology for these things is that they can made available relatively easily as PDF and as Print on Demand for relatively little investment. PDFs themselves are nice, but I love holding a printed book in my hands all the more.

Stay tuned for more on early RQ. We certainly have all the rights and files. As for an intro, I already have that written, as I know a fair bit of the history of it myself, as part of doing both the Meints Index to Glorantha and via the Gloranthan Classics. Maranci's info is generally fine, although I should point out that a number of things found therein are based on info gathered (and quoted) from me. :-)

In addition to Wyrms Footnotes, some of the stuff from Different Worlds would be nice. Might want to talk to Tadashi.

A reprint of RQ2 would be the perfect thing to finally cap the Gloranthan Classics line!

SDLeary

P.S.: And while your at it if you could find the old Trollkin Forge moulds...  :mrgreen:

Collector

Post Posted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 12:43 am 

Wyrms footprints and a reprint of RQ2 would be top of my list. especially in dead tree.

I will then add my name to what ever anyone else suggests as I will certainly buy PDFs of everything.

Collector

Post Posted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 2:39 am 

A collected Worlds of Wonder would be ace... as would a collected Superworld + Companion.
RQ2 as well.
I've got the originals of all of them but sturdy new copies would be nice.

I know it wasn't the question but I'd love to see Trippyhippy's vision for BRP and expanded Worlds of Wonder series come true.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 2:48 am 

Something that would be great in PDF-only format would be Foes and Fangs - print RQ2 stat blocks as needed for your adventures!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 3:22 am 

I'd like to see Gloranthan Classics back in print and then everything in PDFs (and print on demand possibly via anthologies) see D&D classics and the originaller Traveller Reprints as good examples.

I'd also like to see the various monographs in PDFs.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 3:31 am 

I'm definitely biased, as I already have all this stuff, but my main concern would be how much time would put into this.  If it stays PDF/POD, that's a lot less effort (obviously not zero though).

Areas of interest/knowledge: Harn, WFRP, Ars Magica, anything BRP based such as CoC, Runequest, Pendragon and all their related games

Next