Minis Research
Author

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:58 pm 

Anyone know of a site out there that has listings/photos for older Alternative Armies lines (say like early '90's)? The two I know, Stuff of Legends and Lost Minis Wiki, have little or point to the current website, which I can't find links to (presumably out-of-print) older minis.

Art of dragons doing what dragons do. Site of a friend. Dragonstuff

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:54 am 

I'll add a question here too (if ST doesn't mind) as I half-way organized my pile o' minis from high school. Almost all are D&D, or D&Dish, though I think there's a couple Toon ones in there, go figure. They're mostly Ral Partha (I'm pretty sure) which I think means they aren't that rare or anything, but I'd like to find out what they are worth. And, really a better home for them... the cash would just be the icing on the cake. :)
--Ron--

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:53 am 

rredmond wrote in Minis Research:I'll add a question here too (if ST doesn't mind) as I half-way organized my pile o' minis from high school. Almost all are D&D, or D&Dish, though I think there's a couple Toon ones in there, go figure. They're mostly Ral Partha (I'm pretty sure) which I think means they aren't that rare or anything, but I'd like to find out what they are worth. And, really a better home for them... the cash would just be the icing on the cake. :)
--Ron--

Toon figures were published by TAG Industries, Ron, and you can find them on the Lost Minis wiki @ Toon - Lost Minis Wiki  Someone has an unsold set listed on eBay for $100 for the past several months, and I saw another set listed for $20 that didn't sell a few times, so I'm pretty sure there's not much demand for them.

Some RP minis are definitely rarer and/or valuable.  If you want to send a list of what you've got, I'd be happy to help point out the $$$ ones :D

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:07 pm 

Only got one box. :) And it isn't complete I don't think. Mostly a loose bunch of stuff.
I could guess at each miniature, or take pix I suppose. But I'll definitely take your help Allan.
Maybe I'll bring 'em next time you're in Jersey. :D

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 1:49 pm 

rredmond wrote in Minis Research:I'll add a question here too (if ST doesn't mind) as I half-way organized my pile o' minis from high school. Almost all are D&D, or D&Dish, though I think there's a couple Toon ones in there, go figure. They're mostly Ral Partha (I'm pretty sure) which I think means they aren't that rare or anything, but I'd like to find out what they are worth. And, really a better home for them... the cash would just be the icing on the cake. :)
--Ron--

I sell minis all the time, and they are usually not worth that much.  In fact, I have a bunch of minis up for sale now.  You can look at some of my listings here:

** eBay auction listing blocked.  Please enable cookies in your browser for this site and for eBay! **

As you can see, I have them in smaller lots according to type, brand, scale or theme.  I usually lump characters together, monsters together, sci-fi together, etc...  I prefer to sell them by fixed price instead of by auction because I am in no hurry to sell them.  I also prefer to sell them in lots which result in packages weighing less than 13 oz, so I can ship them by First Class within the US.  The more auctions you look at, the more you'll get a feel for what they'll sell for.  Dragons, demons, kobolds, and giants sell for higher than average and players characters usually sell for less than $1.00 each.  The Ral Partha Series 11 minis can sell well.  The really valuable minis are the gold/gold-plated minis found in some gold-line Grenadier boxes.  Try to state in the auction if you believe they contain lead or not which is usually found in figures older than 1988 or around there.

If you want specific advice about what to sell something for, and you can't find something like it on eBay, you could post pictures on this thread and people will likely share their opinions.   8)

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

Last edited by benjoshua on Sat Apr 25, 2015 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 11:01 am 

Maybe I'll do that. I should just contact some painters too... I'm not looking to make a billion dollars off of them (hey, you the back, stop laughing!) just enough to pay packaging and shipping and mayhap a few sheckles more (to surprise the wife and pay for my Acaeum pin ;) ) and get it to someone who'll appreciate them.
I'm betting they'll end up going, in bulk, to someone who paints. But we'll see. I'll try and get some pictures up soon!
--Ron--

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 11:37 am 

rredmond wrote in Minis Research:Maybe I'll do that. I should just contact some painters too... I'm not looking to make a billion dollars off of them (hey, you the back, stop laughing!) just enough to pay packaging and shipping and mayhap a few sheckles more (to surprise the wife and pay for my Acaeum pin ;) ) and get it to someone who'll appreciate them.
I'm betting they'll end up going, in bulk, to someone who paints. But we'll see. I'll try and get some pictures up soon!
--Ron--

It took me decades, but I finally painted, or had painted for me, all my minis.  Here's a thread detailing the last years of my journey:

Dragonsfoot • View topic - My Latest Batch of Minis

8O

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 4:49 pm 

I picked up a bunch of TAG minis last year as well. Six unopened Valhalla personalities in what I presume are a shipping box. Pretty nice figs. Still haven't decided wether to keep them or not. So much other stuff, I put them on the backburner for later.  :mrgreen: Not much info on these guys either, unfortunately.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 2:46 pm 

I picked up a lot of them recently, too, Paul, and need to get some updates into the Lost Minis wiki pages.  

I'm still looking for the female TAG sphinxes if you run across any :D

Greyhawk, grodog Style

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu May 07, 2015 7:36 pm 

First time in my history to have seen any. Doesn't seem too likely unless I stumble across another haul like I did last year. 10 boxes of stuff on Craigslist was too good to pass up. And it paid off rather nicely. A pity it seemed to be missing some stuff from the collection. Would have liked to have seen the rest.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu May 21, 2015 4:22 pm 

grodog wrote in Minis Research:I picked up a lot of them recently, too, Paul, and need to get some updates into the Lost Minis wiki pages.  

Well, whooda thunk it. Just picked up a large lot of minis recently, and whuddya know, four of TAG's Nile folks. Specifically, Thoth, Horus, Anubis, and Set I do believe. No sphinxes, unfortunately.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu May 21, 2015 11:18 pm 

SimperingToad wrote in Minis Research:
grodog wrote in Minis Research:I picked up a lot of them recently, too, Paul, and need to get some updates into the Lost Minis wiki pages.  

Well, whooda thunk it. Just picked up a large lot of minis recently, and whuddya know, four of TAG's Nile folks. Specifically, Thoth, Horus, Anubis, and Set I do believe. No sphinxes, unfortunately.

Oh well, thanks for looking Paul :D

Greyhawk, grodog Style