Original manuscript of EPT for sale?
Author

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 12:34 pm 

faro wrote in Original manuscript of EPT for sale?:
Mars wrote in Original manuscript of EPT for sale?:He also seemed to imply I was calling him a liar because I asked for some kind of authentication of handwriting etc.

Remember for Barker you have to specify which language you want first, for any sample. ;)
(Not including the other 47+ RL languages (IIRC) that he was fluent in).

[ Image ]

Anyhow...

Well, yes, there's a embarrassment of riches when it comes to samples of Barker's contemporary handwriting and typewriter, even if you don't have access to the Tekumel Foundation archives. Having worked with professional forensic document examiners on authenticity questions before, I would say they can be pretty cagey - much more dealing in probabilities than certainties. Honestly, most of what you'd want to know about the 1974 EPT draft here you'd see in an instant comparing it to the full Aug 1974 doc, which has circulated widely in PDF form I gather.

But after getting off on the wrong foot, hard for me to see how he'd secure a deal for this item that he'd be happy with.

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 12:45 pm 

increment wrote in Original manuscript of EPT for sale?:
faro wrote in Original manuscript of EPT for sale?:Remember for Barker you have to specify which language you want first, for any sample. ;)
(Not including the other 47+ RL languages (IIRC) that he was fluent in).

[ Image ]

Anyhow...

Well, yes, there's a embarrassment of riches when it comes to samples of Barker's contemporary handwriting and typewriter, even if you don't have access to the Tekumel Foundation archives. Having worked with professional forensic document examiners on authenticity questions before, I would say they can be pretty cagey - much more dealing in probabilities than certainties. Honestly, most of what you'd want to know about the 1974 EPT draft here you'd see in an instant comparing it to the full Aug 1974 doc, which has circulated widely in PDF form I gather.

But after getting off on the wrong foot, hard for me to see how he'd secure a deal for this item that he'd be happy with.

Unless there are some specific Barker websites with high-end collectors (certainly a possibility) I can't think of any place other than here where he'd find greater interest. That Facebook group seems to be geared toward play copies rather than collectibles.

"You get more with a kind word and an excruciator than with just a kind word."

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 1:03 pm 

increment wrote in Original manuscript of EPT for sale?:Honestly, most of what you'd want to know about the 1974 EPT draft here you'd see in an instant comparing it to the full Aug 1974 doc, which has circulated widely in PDF form I gather.

I'm sticking with August as well... ;)
That whole backstory timeline fits far better with Phil's Wargamer's Newsletter contributions, too.

The 1974 version in .pdf is cross-linked off the previous thread; Dating Tekumel/EPT • Collecting General - Non TSR •  The Acaeum . Well worth $15 to have a dig through what changed, aside from anything else, IMO.

"7.3 ORGANIZING THE PARTY: Always have a keg, even if it's BYOB...
7.4 TAKING THE GAME SERIOUSLY: Don't"

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 1:31 pm 

JasonZavoda wrote in Original manuscript of EPT for sale?:Unless there are some specific Barker websites with high-end collectors (certainly a possibility) I can't think of any place other than here where he'd find greater interest. That Facebook group seems to be geared toward play copies rather than collectibles.

Barker's in an odd-spot. There's more interest from the gaming side but his greater contributions are in world/setting and language/script creation; a well developed conlang in particular being significant as that was a rare beast indeed prior to the publication of LotR.
The particular paradigms in D&D succeeded because the action was constrained by the dungeon and while it was inevitable that adventuring tended to get pulled back in that direction, EPT certainly helped trigger a lot more thoughts on creation of a coherent world/history background that had lacked any sort of formal support from TSR due to their "rulesets/guidelines only" approach, regardless of what had developed in their own play.

"7.3 ORGANIZING THE PARTY: Always have a keg, even if it's BYOB...
7.4 TAKING THE GAME SERIOUSLY: Don't"

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 3:33 pm 

JasonZavoda wrote in Original manuscript of EPT for sale?:That Facebook group seems to be geared toward play copies rather than collectibles.

Although I have been surprised at some of the prices people are paying for stuff there - makes me want to get my list organized to post.

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 1:18 am 

ExTSR wrote in Original manuscript of EPT for sale?:
Mars wrote in Original manuscript of EPT for sale?:Apparently questioning the price and authenticity of a $50,000 ask has upset the seller.

Yah, there was a kerfluffle when I commented gently that it was Optimistic.

Kerfluffle?

No.... he had a nuclear meltdown...

If EPT had the gaming base that D&D has now, 50K might not be a crazy number. I think it's as simple as that...

RPG’s, D&D in particular has had a major influence in my life. It’s bonded me together with life long friends...it’s that bond in life not just as friends, but in our jokes, our mannerisms, and what we find funny. Invincible Overlord