Early Dungeon Crawl Classics OOP?
Author

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:25 pm 

Question about the DCC line from Goodman.  Do these modules go out of print after a certain time?  Goodman has 1 - 15 listed on their site, but there is no option to buy.  Noble Knight has a few and some of them are ridiculously priced.  I wanted to get some to use (3/3.5E) and they are pretty hard to find.  There is one local game store that has a good selection of modules #2 - 30 and I'm wondering if I should buy their stock since I can't find many online.

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:54 pm 

Brian2112 wrote in Early Dungeon Crawl Classics OOP?:Question about the DCC line from Goodman.  Do these modules go out of print after a certain time?  Goodman has 1 - 15 listed on their site, but there is no option to buy.  Noble Knight has a few and some of them are ridiculously priced.  I wanted to get some to use (3/3.5E) and they are pretty hard to find.  There is one local game store that has a good selection of modules #2 - 30 and I'm wondering if I should buy their stock since I can't find many online.

There are two printings (at least) of the early DCC line. The 1st prints have the original logo, the reprints have the logo they used after that (not sure if they changed it again). Some of the early 1st prints are supposedly hard to come by so they go for collector prices. Some DCC modules were special editions like DCC#3.5 and have limited print runs and are both hard to find and expensive.

When 4e came out Goodman sold off all his back stock of the DCC line (cause who is going to want to play anything but 4e D&D) and they were going for a song. NK bought a vast amount of them and sold them for a fair price till the lake started getting a little shallow. Since then prices seem to have been rising steadily as of last year when I stopped tracking them. Doesn't surprise me to hear that they are going up in price. They need to be reprinted.

"You get more with a kind word and an excruciator than with just a kind word."

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:43 pm 

I just sold about 50 of them brand new (#5s and up) usually netting about $5-7 a piece. They're not expensive.

Some of the more unusual DCC items, however, will fetch a much higher price.

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:23 pm 

IIRC: There are three different logos for the Goodman Games 3.x DCC modules and various 3.x DCC box sets.

First prints of the first couple of dozen modules have the cowboy riding a rhino and using a lasso in black and white
Second prints of the early modules and (I think) a few of the later modules (1st) have the Dragon logo in black and white, this logo was short lived however.
3rd prints of the earlier modules and all of the prints for later highest numbered 3.x DCC modules, etc. use a green dragon logo (Same logo as second above, just in color).

Of course a few modules also had Convention Logos and some had awards logos in addition to the Goodman Games logo in use at that time that printing of a module was released.

I read somewhere that TSR/WotCo actually forced/coerced Game Companies who wanted to use the new system to agree to abandon selling new and/or keeping old stock in 3.x before being allowed to market/sell 4.0 system related material.

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 5:15 pm 

Gnat the Beggar wrote in Early Dungeon Crawl Classics OOP?:I read somewhere that TSR/WotCo actually forced/coerced Game Companies who wanted to use the new system to agree to abandon selling new and/or keeping old stock in 3.x before being allowed to market/sell 4.0 system related material.

That's what I remember too.  It wasn't a choice by Goodman games to dump all of their stock but rather they were forced into it by WotC.  Something in the agreement to produce official 4e content you can't be selling/supporting earlier editions.

The print run numbers for DCC modules seemed to be fairly high so I'm doubtful there will ever be enough demand for the publisher to reprint them.   Possibly they could go for a print on demand route but most publishers don't do this themselves and probably don't want to give over that control to someone else.

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:20 pm 

Gnat the Beggar wrote in Early Dungeon Crawl Classics OOP?:IIRC: There are three different logos for the Goodman Games 3.x DCC modules and various 3.x DCC box sets.

First prints of the first couple of dozen modules have the cowboy riding a rhino and using a lasso in black and white
Second prints of the early modules and (I think) a few of the later modules (1st) have the Dragon logo in black and white, this logo was short lived however.
3rd prints of the earlier modules and all of the prints for later highest numbered 3.x DCC modules, etc. use a green dragon logo (Same logo as second above, just in color).

Of course a few modules also had Convention Logos and some had awards logos in addition to the Goodman Games logo in use at that time that printing of a module was released.

I read somewhere that TSR/WotCo actually forced/coerced Game Companies who wanted to use the new system to agree to abandon selling new and/or keeping old stock in 3.x before being allowed to market/sell 4.0 system related material.

There was a podcast interview with Joe about this at the time. Would be interesting if it were still floating around.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:03 pm 

I have to admit, that seems like a reasonable request from a licensor.

Agreed, there were a *lot* of the modules... I bought a set from GG in 2008 when they were selling them at half price.  Last I looked, most have held around that level.  

The lasso prints are notable exceptions of the common numbers.  I thought about trying to find them all, but there were other things to collect at the time.

I draw the line at collecting... D&D Towels.

Did we need: Jade Magi Sewer Crawl

Shoulda been: ".. from Pangreenia to Floratopolis, from mystical Treeonia of spectral Forests to Schruborial dimensions."  - The Forests of Leng

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:50 am 

I have a good number of first prints of many of the modules....
I have at least one complete set of the more common DCC 3.x modules and box sets, excluding  DCC 3.5.
Which is quite rare and was simply too expensive for me then, Never was able to snag one of those.

At one time I had more than 30 - DCC 35 Box sets that were missing the maps.
Plus around 25 sets of DCC 51 (The REALLY heavy one) which were all complete and most in SW.
Additionally had a lot of the later printed DCC 3.x Modules.
I purchased them all second hand from a person who had purchased all the remaining Goodman DCC 3.x stock at some point (some of it was damaged or incomplete) which she bought for penny's on the dollar.
For a time she was selling the stuff on e-Bay and I bought some of the nicer condition items she had listed, but I noticed she had crap loads of the stuff and did not seem to have a clue how to list it for optimal return.
I contacted her about buying her remaining stock and eventually we came to an agreement.
I got a decent deal and for the Box sets missing the maps I printed paper color copies of the maps, selling the books/box on e-Bay and some sets in the classifieds here and I offered the maps for free to the book/box buyers.
I was getting around $35-45 plus for each of those DCC 35 sets.
For those who think I made a killing; not true; even using my own large printer it was costing me around 5 bucks per map (the DCC 35 box sets have three large color maps) just in paper and ink (ink is very expensive for those big plotters)
I still have 1 or 2 of those plus several SWed sets of that box set as well.
As for the DCC 51 sets, a bunch of those were purchased from me by the NTRPG Con.

Of the rest of the DCC 3.x line; I have multiple copies of some of the modules (most) including various printings and some of the box sets.
Though I have not sold anything in a long time.
Most of the DCC 3.x stuff sells for low money on e-Bay (often original price) though 1st prints tend to garner more interest from knowledgeable DCC collectors.

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 1:45 pm 

I like the DCC line and have most everything up to about #65 including most the convention specials.  I also took advantage of the Goodman half-price sale and picked up most of what I was missing at the time.  However, I sold off DCC #51 (Castle Whiterock) when I learned that I could more than double my money.  I think it sold for $125.00, although it was in shrink.  I have not read most of them, but the one's I have read are of decent quality and interesting.  If you like to just read adventures more than run them, then collecting this line is worthwhile, especially if you can pick them up in the less than $9.00 each range. I have read #3.5, The Haunted Lighthouse, and it's nothing special.  In fact, the free pdf is right here:

http://dagwood.sandwich.net/docs/dungeo ... thouse.pdf

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 4:08 pm 

Gnat the Beggar wrote in Early Dungeon Crawl Classics OOP?:I have a good number of first prints of many of the modules....
I have at least one complete set of the more common DCC 3.x modules and box sets, excluding  DCC 3.5.
Which is quite rare and was simply too expensive for me then, Never was able to snag one of those.

At one time I had more than 30 - DCC 35 Box sets that were missing the maps.
Plus around 25 sets of DCC 51 (The REALLY heavy one) which were all complete and most in SW.
Additionally had a lot of the later printed DCC 3.x Modules.
I purchased them all second hand from a person who had purchased all the remaining Goodman DCC 3.x stock at some point (some of it was damaged or incomplete) which she bought for penny's on the dollar.
For a time she was selling the stuff on e-Bay and I bought some of the nicer condition items she had listed, but I noticed she had crap loads of the stuff and did not seem to have a clue how to list it for optimal return.
I contacted her about buying her remaining stock and eventually we came to an agreement.
I got a decent deal and for the Box sets missing the maps I printed paper color copies of the maps, selling the books/box on e-Bay and some sets in the classifieds here and I offered the maps for free to the book/box buyers.
I was getting around $35-45 plus for each of those DCC 35 sets.
For those who think I made a killing; not true; even using my own large printer it was costing me around 5 bucks per map (the DCC 35 box sets have three large color maps) just in paper and ink (ink is very expensive for those big plotters)
I still have 1 or 2 of those plus several SWed sets of that box set as well.
As for the DCC 51 sets, a bunch of those were purchased from me by the NTRPG Con.

Of the rest of the DCC 3.x line; I have multiple copies of some of the modules (most) including various printings and some of the box sets.
Though I have not sold anything in a long time.
Most of the DCC 3.x stuff sells for low money on e-Bay (often original price) though 1st prints tend to garner more interest from knowledgeable DCC collectors.

Sounds like someone I know. I snagged a bunch of dirt cheap DCC stuff off of her as well (if it is the same gal).

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 3:16 pm 

The reason Goodman Games had to sell off there stock of 3.0/3.5 Modules was because Wizards of the Coast told them if they wanted the Dungeon and Dragons licence to produce the modules they had to stop selling there back issues. So they dumped them to get it>

Tim

Wagoners Games