Dungeons and Dragons Camp - Shippensburg College
Author

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 7:29 am 

I recently acquired a module, Throne-Fight at Giltham, that was run at a Dungeons and Dragons Camp at Shppensburg College circa 1984 approximately.  Another campaign run there was Odyssey of the Rings which would have been about 1985.  I am wondering if it is the same Odyssey of the Rings that has been discussed here recently.  Here is a link that discussed the camp and the other modules run there:  Dancers of the Dead, Raiders of the Bandit's Lair, Curse of the Temple of Set, Throne-Fight at Giltham, and Odyssey of the Rings.

One time at D&D camp… |

It's Not a Fantasy: Dungeons & Dragons Camp, 1981 -- 1985 | 2 Warps to Neptune

I thought that the story behind the camp was quite interesting.  I was wondering if anyone else has come across the modules or if anyone else had heard about the camp or even happened to go to the camp at Shippensburg College. Throne-Fight at Giltham was created by Larry Whitsel.  Does anyone know who he is or happen to have other modules by him?  Frank Mentzer was mentioned in the article and I am wondering if he recalls the camp.  In any event, any additional information would be appreciated.

Cheers!

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:02 am 

Quite familiar with the camp (visited multiple times), and have several of their modules.
In a box somewhere, as usual... :/

F

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:34 am 

Great story Melnibonean!  

I remember getting a flyer or seeing the advertisement for the camp in a magazine back in '83-'84.  Our D&D group thought about going but we chose MassConfusion instead (it was closer).

~throwi

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 2:23 pm 

Thanks for posting this info Scott!

I have Odyssey of the Rings, the 1985 module, written by Greg Flay.
I purchased another adventure written by him, from a person claiming to be his daughter. She said that she had found it "going through his things" after he had died. But again, this is what she wrote, I'm not trying to put this guy in the ground if he's not yet there. Anyway it was titled Legion of Death.
And no, I'm not trying to be funny, that really is the title.

Shrink is not a condition

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:16 pm 

Very interesting Scott.  I recall hearing about the camp, but we never had a chance to go to it.  We had a lot of competing priorities during the summer, and it was about four hours away.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:26 am 

dbartman wrote in Dungeons and Dragons Camp - Shippensburg College:Very interesting Scott.  I recall hearing about the camp, but we never had a chance to go to it.  We had a lot of competing priorities during the summer, and it was about four hours away.

That is interesting Doug.  Since I was living in California at the time, I never heard about this camp nor any other D&D camp.  I read a number of comments about those attending the camp having to take trains and Greyhound buses to arrive.  It did not appear to be an easy process.  I also found this interesting quote from an article that was released causing a bit of a furor with the camp attendees:

"These are the wimps, the kids who are probably the outcasts in a high school class, the last kids picked in a group," says Kraus, a tanned, tousled 50-year-old who also runs a tennis camp at Shippensburg. "But they're the ones who are going to go to Ivy League schools and will end up running things, or at least be important behind the scenes. They're very bright."

"But if you'll notice, they're pretty pale. I've got to chase them outside."

:D  :D  :D

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:31 am 

After checking, I seem to have 5 of the D&D Camp Modules:

Dancers of the Dead (1981)
Raiders of the Bandit's Lair (1982)
Curse of the Temple of Set (1983)
Throne-Fight at Giltham (1984)
Temple of Set (1985)

My friends Dave & Gary made a quantum leap in the human soul. Remember them.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:45 am 

ExTSR wrote in Dungeons and Dragons Camp - Shippensburg College:After checking, I seem to have 5 of the D&D Camp Modules:

Dancers of the Dead (1981)
Raiders of the Bandit's Lair (1982)
Curse of the Temple of Set (1983)
Throne-Fight at Giltham (1984)
Temple of Set (1985)

That is really cool!  I just sent you a pm about those.  It would be nice to get some scans of those.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 4:48 pm 

Melnibonean wrote in Dungeons and Dragons Camp - Shippensburg College:That is really cool!  I just sent you a pm about those.  It would be nice to get some scans of those.

That would be neat.  Perhaps a compilation booklet of all five adventures could be made up for NTX?  Or just produced by somebody?   :?:

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 5:01 pm 

benjoshua wrote in Dungeons and Dragons Camp - Shippensburg College:
Melnibonean wrote in Dungeons and Dragons Camp - Shippensburg College:That is really cool!  I just sent you a pm about those.  It would be nice to get some scans of those.

That would be neat.  Perhaps a compilation booklet of all five adventures could be made up for NTX?  Or just produced by somebody?   :?:

As long as you contact all the authors and get their approval.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:34 pm 

throwi wrote in Dungeons and Dragons Camp - Shippensburg College:
benjoshua wrote in Dungeons and Dragons Camp - Shippensburg College:

As long as you contact all the authors and get their approval.

Yeah, getting the material, entering the material and getting those approvals would be some work.   :puker:

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.