Monsters & Slayers - Strange Find at HPB
Author

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 7:23 am 

While visiting Texas I went with BadMike to Half-Price Books.  He checked the RPG section first and informed me that everything was not interesting, totally common and too expensive. That was true except for the bottom shelf where it seems that someone who collected OSR type games either died or got married. Amongst them were some SW, LL (Jason Braun Cover), and this book...Monsters & Slayers.

I know Brette has one, I suspect Stratochamp does as well. All the usual suspects probably have one but it was new to me.

Any if you usual suspects know any history on the book or the author? I read the descriptions at the db sites but they are scant.

I will put some pics up if anyone wants them.  

Zach

Ps- back Death & Taxes, our current stretch goal is immunity to both.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 11:32 am 

from Atlantis Enterprises, printed 1991? If so, yes I do have a copy.

Shrink is not a condition

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 12:00 pm 

Coil bound if I recall correctly.  I'm pretty sure I have one too.  But don't know much about the history.  I remember that the cover is flashy but the content was a D&D clone.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 12:04 pm 

it is coil bound. I would have called the cover art jumbled (a negative connotation, where flashy could potentially be thought of as a positive. but of course art is in the eye of the beholder. wait a minute, maybe that analogy doesn't work as well around here).

Shrink is not a condition

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 12:39 pm 

I generally think of "eye of the beholder" as having a negative connotation too.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 1:52 pm 

Mars wrote in Monsters & Slayers - Strange Find at HPB:I generally think of "eye of the beholder" as having a negative connotation too.

But there is beauty in it.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 9:37 am 

Mars wrote in Monsters & Slayers - Strange Find at HPB:Coil bound if I recall correctly.  I'm pretty sure I have one too.  But don't know much about the history.  I remember that the cover is flashy but the content was a D&D clone.

You recall correctly on both the binding and the content. It says on the back cover that it was specifically targeted for players "....looking for a 'role-playing game' with more realism without burying you with charts, you finally found us." If you write it they will come seemed to have been their marketing strategy.

It also says it is based in 6th Century Britain. I wasn't surprised actually since the cover just screams Arthurian legend...

Here is the title page. Just because.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 3:28 pm 

Nice!

Adventures in Austerion : a fantasy RPG, with boardgame mechanisms and modular battlemap. By Guillaume Tavernier and Géraud G.