Failed Kickstarters
Author

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 5:29 am 

A pity to hear about all the troubles with TOH. I backed Matt's earlier Torn World miniatures project and it was managed perfectly. Got everything on time and they were great products. It's sad to see projects derailed by these kind of disputes.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:08 pm 

I am going to preface this by saying as many of you know Matt was a frequent vendor at NTRPG con...and a sponsor of the con the last two years.  

I think Matt is a good person, but perhaps a bad businessman. It's not unknown for this to happen.

Matt did not lose the money on hookers and blow, if I have to be flippant. Nor on vacations to Cabo, new cars, limo rides, etc. He's not Mike Nystul who tried to fund a gaming convention (not part of his original three kickstarters) with the money and spent it all before a word was even written.  Matt actually paid for sculptors, molds, minis, painters, shipping, promotional expenses, etc. I know this probably doesn't matter to some people who lost money, but he's guilty of being a bad businessman and being too ambitious, not of being a crook.

Matt underestimated costs, it happens.  Remember that Amazon takes 10% up front. FGG had their TOH figures licensed for 15%.  That means Matt was out 25% of the $97,000 KS  pledge right off the bet (down to $72k before anything even got started).  If he made his initial estimates looking at almost $100k, he was in trouble from the start.  

I feel sick to my stomach because I have friends on both sides, on every side...Matt from Centerstage, Matt and Bill and Skeeter from Frog God, and the many customers who gave Matt money (including my own brother, who was in for several hundred dollars).  I advertised Matt's Kickstarters on my NTRPG con facebook page. The con sponsored him the first year he attended. Doug did a lot to get CSM off the ground in the first place. He (and the con) have lost money on this deal also, believe me, a successful CSM would have been a boon to all of us.

Silence never helps anyone dealing with financial difficulties, and I'm glad Matt finally came forward about his difficulties, as the speculation was getting ugly.

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Last edited by Badmike on Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 1:14 am 

My list of failed kickstarters is growing.. I'll list them soon

Brette:)

Being healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 11:29 pm 

I feel sorry for the backers. :(

From the comments on the CSM D&D page it looks like there were still a number waiting for miniatures. Did CSM simply use funds raised on ToH to help finance D&D?  

Incidentally I got an aggressive  PM from CSM 18 months ago on this site that is actually relevant.

Center_Stage wrote:Subject: Fractured Dimensions Outer Planes Kickstarter

Sardan wrote:It would have been better had they delivered on the first kickstarter before starting the second!  :x

If this snarky little comment was directed at ME, it's not my Kickstarter.

Thanks.

It was a bizarre bout if defensiveness given that I was clearly talking about a totally different company but maybe it shows there were troubles in store.

Last edited by Sardan on Tue Nov 18, 2014 5:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:00 am 

One other thing I ran across - this dates back to around the time I joined the acaeum and saw the on-going mess with the RJK Bottle City module/debacle

how ironic looking back now

Center_Stage wrote in RJK's Bottle City updates:Looking at this situation as purely an outsider, Mr. Kuntz' unwillingness to share any information about his personal status with his fans or his customer base is a huge smack in the face.

This strikes me as a situation where someone either a) doesn't have the money to ship the item or b) someone who has a vested interest in stringing things out as long as they can.

I am sorry, there is NO ACCEPTABLE REASON why someone who is sick would not accept assistance in fulfilling those obligations, short of being financially unable to see them through. Period. Regardless of anyone's defense of Rob - including the defense from longtime Acaeum members - STOP! I am so glad I ordered nothing from PPP (I actually considered ordering Cairn and Blood)...and after seeing how business is handled, there is no way I would order ANYTHING.

Sure mistakes happen...and had this been handled differently, I might not be so hard nosed. But given the fact that someone feels he owes no accounting other than "I am sick, please be patient".....it's crap, folks.

Sincere best wishes to Rob for a speedy recovery. And once he's better, perhaps he can work on his level of honesty, too. That would be an even bigger plus, at least for those who support his products.

Center_Stage wrote in RJK's Bottle City updates:Well, Deo, if he took my money and didn't give me anything for it xxx months later, every damn thing about him would become my business until I got either

a) my money back or
b) the product I was promised.

I still think that his intention was not to piss everyone off - even though it has. It's obvious that things haven't been good for him this year and I hope him the best in 2008.

And while nobody in their right mind wants to see ANYONE suffer health problems, I wish everybody would stop walking on eggs about this guy or trying to kiss his butt! Yes, he made great FRP products. But yes, he is also human and as indicated by this fiasco has the same propensity as the rest of humanity to be a jerk.

So there. Rob, hope you feel better. But more importantly than that, I hope you give people the stuff and/or refunds to which they are entitled.

Center_Stage wrote in RJK's Bottle City updates:But since when does being a "popular game designer" get someone off the hook for taking money with truly little or no explanation?

I personally don't give a rat's ass if Bottle City is published or not; it won't affect me. But for those people on the Acaeum who have invested their time and money, I hope the product pans out to its fullest.

** Banned **

Post Posted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:59 am 

I don't distrust Kickstarter any more than I would any other advanced computerized money collection system. My problem is the people on the money end of it with the promises and me being on the other end with my money. The only value I get from it is the defenders of the system that would probably be trying to destroy a vending machine that took a dollar of their own money. I'm okay with someone being a creative person and a bad business person, but it seems Kickstarter enables them to disappoint their entire prospective fan base at once.

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:13 am 

Tenkar's Tavern: Let's Open our Books to Chapter 7 - Centerstage Miniatures Files for Bankruptcy (No Surprise There)

This in from Tenker's Tavern blog about the TOH and the other kickstarters.

"You get more with a kind word and an excruciator than with just a kind word."

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:43 am 

If you do a scan of KS, searching for tabletop RPGs, only a small number are being funded now.   I wonder if backers are more reserved than ever with so many projects failing to deliver... this makes me rethink the strategy for releasing my work...

~throwi

Added: I almost backed the print version of 50 Shades of Vorpal just to see if I'd get something... but then I bought something of value instead.  ;-)

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:36 am 

throwi wrote in Failed Kickstarters:If you do a scan of KS, searching for tabletop RPGs, only a small number are being funded now.   I wonder if backers are more reserved than ever with so many projects failing to deliver... this makes me rethink the strategy for releasing my work...

I have slowed down my backing rpg items by quite a bit. Ever since I backed some big name projects that either completely failed, or pretty sure still going to completely fail but still get an occasional update, I have stopped most of my backing. There is still the occasional "nugget" that grabs my eye and I still back, but I'm down to maybe one every 2-3 months now.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:10 am 

GreyM wrote in Failed Kickstarters:I have slowed down my backing rpg items by quite a bit. Ever since I backed some big name projects that either completely failed, or pretty sure still going to completely fail but still get an occasional update, I have stopped most of my backing. There is still the occasional "nugget" that grabs my eye and I still back, but I'm down to maybe one every 2-3 months now.

I think many are doing the same.  It's a shame... KS is a great way for small indie publishers (and 1 man shops like myself) to get stuff out there.  Without it, we'd have to pre-print and sell through various channels, hoping for people to buy them.  Of course, the Acaeum community supports us and makes us feel like what we're doing is worth it!

~throwi

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:25 pm 

GreyM wrote in Failed Kickstarters:
throwi wrote in Failed Kickstarters:If you do a scan of KS, searching for tabletop RPGs, only a small number are being funded now.   I wonder if backers are more reserved than ever with so many projects failing to deliver... this makes me rethink the strategy for releasing my work...

I have slowed down my backing rpg items by quite a bit. Ever since I backed some big name projects that either completely failed, or pretty sure still going to completely fail but still get an occasional update, I have stopped most of my backing. There is still the occasional "nugget" that grabs my eye and I still back, but I'm down to maybe one every 2-3 months now.

Ditto for me.  Tunnels and Trolls kickstarter has really fustrated me.  I only back Acaeum projects now.

Martin

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:24 pm 

Prufrock wrote in Failed Kickstarters:Ditto for me.  Tunnels and Trolls kickstarter has really fustrated me.  I only back Acaeum projects now.

Martin

I talked to Rick and Ken over at Origins this year and they are both fairly positive they will have something out relatively soon....now I know that all depends on their interpretation of the word "relatively"...but I did pick up a copy of the beta rules and 1st Edition reprint while there. Not sure if they are in the hands of the backers yet or not though.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:33 pm 

I picked up a copy of the Beta rules at Gencon as well.  They did have the coin set available as well.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 12:33 am 

I am 1:2 so far.
Fat Dragon is in the process of finishing delivery of Ravenfell, and Lord Zsezse is in production of 28mm Elven Papercraft.

Dave, get the barbarian in the corner a drink, quick!

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 1:08 am 

Brian2112 wrote in Failed Kickstarters:Another failed KS - Ultimate Unofficial Collectors Guide to D&D:Forgotten Realms by Jim Hunton.

I hadn't checked back on this one since Brian posted about it months ago...
looking for some court action on Jim Hunton per the comments

Ultimate Unofficial Collectors Guide to D&D:Forgotten Realms by Jim Hunton — Kickstarter

and this one never got delivered by him either...

Dungeon Deck: Quests Expansions by Jim Hunton — Kickstarter

one of the comments..
So I got this in September and replied with my address and have heard not a single word since.

"yes you are one of the lost ones. thats what we have been calling them. we have about 20 or so backers that did not get theres. we are geting all the names and will be doing a nother mailing at the end of the mouth. thanks for your patients. please send me your addess so we know we have the right one."

Seriously? Is it any wonder I'm hostile toward this project? Jim continues to fail to make good on his obligations. Maybe I'll get another nasty message from him threatening to ban me from Kickstarter for calling his integrity into question.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 7:53 am 

I'm one of those 20 as well by the looks.. What are the odds huh..

Brette:)

Being healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 1:19 pm 

Looks like this one is by Sue Hunton from WI:

Dungeon Wheels: Critical Hits & Fumbles by Pioneer Dungeons & Games — Kickstarter

Any relation?  I actually missed backing this because I was away... perhaps a blessing in disguise?

~throwi

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 1:57 pm 

yeah, I saw that too. Per the previous info tracked down, her name is Debbie Sue Hunton and their fb posts show them in Wisconsin now.

https://www.facebook.com/jhuntonfl?fref=ts

also "Pioneer" was a name they used for one of their hobby store endeavors in Florida

He "Works at the Museum of Dungeons & Dragons" and lives in Lake Geneva, WI...and is looking forward to the next Gary Con!

btw,
Debbie Hunton in Kissimmee, FL | Intelius

PreviousNext