The Arduin Grimoire Volume 1
Author

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:47 pm 

So I have two original covers, both not in great shape.  The one in much worse shape though: the printing is worse (some details of the drawings have been lost from the quality of the copying), the last two pages are actually maps, rather than the other one where it is a map, then a list of products, lastly on the first Erol Otus's name doesn't appear on the drawing versus the second.  Is the first one possibly an actual "first print run"?

MT

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:54 pm 

Arduin collecting, well not emergency... maybe conundrum?  Here are the three copies I have, but my notes show four printings.  Can anyone help me out with what distinguishes them?  I'm trying to sort out, do I have 1/2/4 or 1/3/4 or some other combo?

Thanks in advance!
Attachment:
$matches[2]

Attachment:
a.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

I draw the line at collecting... D&D beach towels.

Shoulda been: ".. from Pangreenia to Floratopolis, from mystical Treeonia of spectral Forests to Schruborial dimensions." - The Forests of Leng

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:33 pm 

Does the copy with the Otus art cover have a reference to Dungeons & Dragons on p. 30?

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:37 pm 

There are at least six different printings of the book on the left. Without knowing other specifics, I couldn't tell you which you have there.

Shrink is not a condition

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:49 pm 

grubbiv wrote in The Arduin Grimoire Volume 1:Does the copy with the Otus art cover have a reference to Dungeons & Dragons on p. 30?

I'd forgotten how gonzo these rules are :)  He gets a random shout-out to Greg Stafford, mentions Tolkien and White Bear Red Moon, Wasp Paladins and Jewish Kobolds.  Wow.  All in a gushing stream-of-consciousness expulsion in some random paragraph on pg 30.

No Dungeons & Dragons mention.

Shoulda been: ".. from Pangreenia to Floratopolis, from mystical Treeonia of spectral Forests to Schruborial dimensions." - The Forests of Leng

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:54 pm 

Okay, lets play. Is there a dungeon map on the inside back cover, or a table of contents? Or is there a table of contents AND a Grimoire games list on the inside back cover?

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:32 am 

An (almost) certain input: that is not a 1st print (re to the book on the left) since it has the name on the cover... There are at least 2 different printings before the name was put on the cover.  Pls dont ask me more as i have never been able to understand more that that.
Ah,  should you have a copy nameless, then i have no clue to identify which comes first!  (i have one and i dont know which print run it is! )
Ciaoo

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:12 am 

There was a Forum Post about this (not here) with a bunch of Arduin Collectors trying to figure out just how many printings there were of these. They thought there were at least 12 if I'm remembering it correctly. I don't remember exactly where I saw it and with a quick search I wasn't finding it.
The problem, according to one of them, was that Hargrave was constantly changing parts of the text inside of the books every other time he ran another batch of them. More so than just whiting out some references. Hargrave was changing numbers on tables, correcting spelling mistakes, etc.
They talked about that if anyone was ever going to get a realistic idea of how many variations there were of each of the Books, they would need to go through probably everyone's copies there, page by page, and note every variation and figure out an order. This was something they were throwing around to actually do but you know how that goes. The Post was several years old at the time and none of them got back to it and did any updates when I was looking at it.

So until something like that happens. You are probably best off to not refer to printings on Arduin, but cover variations.

Earliest ----> Otus Cover without Name

-------------> Otus Cover with Name

-------------> Espinoza Cover with Nude Back Cover

Latest ------> Espinoza Cover without

There are definitely Collectors that would be interested in figuring out the minutia of this. But from a money aspect, any variations in value are going to be determined by those four cover designations.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:04 am 

Whoops, didn't realize it was such a can of worms...

Thanks for the information gents!

Bill, it has a dungeon inside back cover.

Aia, good point, I didn't know about the name/nameless covers.

Mister Yuk, great information!  I like the idea of collecting the four variations. Looks like I have 2/3/4 :)

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:17 am 

Good morning Dave,

That (according to my research) would be a 4th print of the Dave Hargrave published Arduin Grimoire. Later, of course the publisher was Grimoire Games (the second and third books in your picture).

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:09 pm 

If you re able to access to ToT forum, you d be able to spot some of these covers with assumptions on print runs.
Ciaoo

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sun Mar 13, 2022 11:54 am 

Attachment:
arduin.jpg

Hello, I picked up a lot with two volume ones... can someone please confirm which came in the box set?  Probably the later print?  Thanks in advance :)

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sun Mar 13, 2022 3:12 pm 

Yes the later print.