Apprentice Guild module: fake copies?
Author

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:12 am 

Anyone bought a copy of one of the Apprentice Guild supplements for RQ to the seller kenjutsu?
I bought the 3 currently for sale. They definitely look like photocopies, with like new paper, not like the ones pictured. It is more obvious when comparing to my other Apprentice Guild module (not same paper at all, and different plastic rings)

** expired eBay auction **

Adventures in Austerion : a fantasy RPG, with boardgame mechanisms and modular battlemap. By Guillaume Tavernier and Géraud G.

Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:40 pm 

This post may help out:  Re: photocopied Victorious German Arms and copies/fakes rese .  To tell for sure, you'll need a microscope or a good magnifying glass.

Foul

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:17 pm 

Thanks Fool.

For me they definitely look fake. But I prefer to be sure by comparing with copies from our members :)
Does anyone could provide a picture of the first page?

Here is a pic: on the left, an original Behind the Masque. On the right, a copy of Children of the Red Godess bought from this seller.

High Res
http://myvyrrian.free.fr/images/Temp/IMGP0301.jpg

Adventures in Austerion : a fantasy RPG, with boardgame mechanisms and modular battlemap. By Guillaume Tavernier and Géraud G.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:47 pm 

Consider these points:

1. Paper is quite white for 20 year lower quality paper
2. Spacing at the binding is different
3. Seller has had a lot of these for sale recently

I'd guess likely a fake.  It doesn't look particularly different from mine, but it's hard to tell from pictures.  Once you get to know paper, you may be able to just feel the difference.  These used pretty thin paper, and most copies would show some signs of browning.

Areas of interest/knowledge: Harn, Pendragon, WFRP, Ars Magica, anything BRP based, CoC, Runequest

Planning: BRP/Harn

Last edited by TheHistorian on Sun Aug 24, 2014 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:21 am 

Here's what I can tell you. I have emailed Kenjustu and verified that he is one of the guys behind the publishing team at Apprentices Guild back in the 90s. I am a personal friend of Danny Bourne, one of the authors of some of their material, and have chatted with him about their publications on a number of occasions. Kenjustu refers to the ebay items he has sold recently as "old stock". I have chatted with him via Ebay messaging, but not met him in person.

I believe that some of what he sells may actually be old stock, but not all of it. Some look like photocopies. Cults of Light and Death should have a clear plastic cover on it. Can't tell in the photo if yours does. My copy of Children of Entropy does not have a clear plastic cover, and has red comb binding. I will scan my copies. My cover of Cults of Light and Death has more artwork all the way to the right edge. Your scan is cut off on right edge.

Regards,

Rick Meints
President - Chaosium Inc.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 6:32 am 

Thanks!

Considering informations I got here and privately (thanks to all), I think these copies are legit.