Looking for Feedback...
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:43 pm 

Hello!

This isn't necessarily a KS question/thread but could be based on your feedback...

I'm in the middle of a 3-part adventure series that I'm writing for my game system (TSRS, you can see 2013 KS here: Throwigames Simple Roleplaying System - All in One Guide by Thom Wilson — Kickstarter ).  I'm planning to release each part of the adventure as two books, one in the format of my game system, and one in the Moldvay Basic D&D format.  I normally give my adventures away for free as PDFs but in this case, I'd like to print them and sell them.  In the past, TSRS books have had a plain cover - either the Basic D&D book or both books will likely have cover art this time around.

My questions are:  

Would this be of any interest to you?  A three part series, with a staggered release, printed in two formats?
Would there be enough interest here to do this directly or would you prefer to see it as a Kickstarter project?
Would you only be interested in the Basic D&D version?
Would you prefer to wait until all three parts were done?
Do you even care?  ;-)

I've completed the first book "False Promises", it's in edit now and soon I'll have lined up the artwork for it.  I'm halfway through writing the second book and should have it fully written and playtested by end of summer.

I was hoping to have the first book printed in time for Carnage in November.

Thanks for any and all feedback!

~throwi

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:52 pm 

Would this be of any interest to you?  A three part series, with a staggered release, printed in two formats?

Sounds good to me.  :)

Would there be enough interest here to do this directly or would you prefer to see it as a Kickstarter project?

I prefer it directly but you might get more interest with a kickstarter.

Yes!

Nope.  No time like the present!

Do you even care?  ;-)

Yes, I am an addict.   :oops:

Carpe DM!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:05 pm 

cdenham wrote in Looking for Feedback...:Would this be of any interest to you?  A three part series, with a staggered release, printed in two formats?

Sounds good to me.  :)

I prefer it directly but you might get more interest with a kickstarter.

Yes!

Nope.  No time like the present!

Do you even care?  ;-)

Yes, I am an addict.   :oops:

Thanks for the feedback!

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:46 pm 

Yes! Though I'd only be interested in one format. Converting between rules-sets isn't a big deal to me.

Prefer directly, but either doesn't really matter.

Primarily interested in Basic D&D version. Maybe through in a little teaser/intro to TSRS in the back of the module, with conversion guidelines. Might get others interested in TSRS.

No way!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:59 pm 

u2622 wrote in Looking for Feedback...:Would this be of any interest to you?  A three part series, with a staggered release, printed in two formats?
Yes! Though I'd only be interested in one format. Converting between rules-sets isn't a big deal to me.

Prefer directly, but either doesn't really matter.

Primarily interested in Basic D&D version. Maybe through in a little teaser/intro to TSRS in the back of the module, with conversion guidelines. Might get others interested in TSRS.

No way!

Thanks!  I like the idea of the TSRS teaser in the back or an add on sheet for conversion rules.  That's great!

~throwi

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:05 pm 

I'm on board!  I'd prefer to buy all three at once to save shipping.  I'd also prefer direct vs Kickstarter.  

Cover art would be very nice, let me encourage you there :)

I'd prefer both formats in one edition if that was feasible.  I couldn't see buying two versions of each book just for rules... I'd have to pick one.

I draw the line at collecting... D&D Towels.

Did we need: Jade Magi Sewer Crawl

Shoulda been: ".. from Pangreenia to Floratopolis, from mystical Treeonia of spectral Forests to Schruborial dimensions."  - The Forests of Leng

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:14 pm 

Thunderdave wrote in Looking for Feedback...:I'm on board!  I'd prefer to buy all three at once to save shipping.  I'd also prefer direct vs Kickstarter.  

I'd prefer both formats in one edition if that was feasible.  I couldn't see buying two versions of each book just for rules... I'd have to pick one.

Okay, good points.  Thanks for adding feedback!

~throwi

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:27 pm 

Thunderdave wrote in Looking for Feedback...:I'm on board!  I'd prefer to buy all three at once to save shipping.  I'd also prefer direct vs Kickstarter.  

Ditto.. can you have 2 stat bloacks? I do find the realsing of 2 different versions basically just repeats everyting but the stats used..

Being healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:56 am 

I am definitely interested ... and in both formats.

I would buy directly or through Kickstarter.

Would prefer module 1 as soon as its available.

I am leaning towards PDFs these days, but I am told the postal system in my new location is reliable, so will be able to buy hard copies too. Testing the mail system now.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:31 am 

Thanks to those who have offered feedback here and in other channels...

At this point in time, I plan on only printing the Basic D&D version via Kickstarter.  I know that many of you would prefer an Acaeum direct option but for us part time game developers, it's a bit of an expense to pre-print (pre-pay) the books.  KS makes it easier of course.  

My system differs enough from Basic to make a multi-format book a bit challenging.  I may print my version later but I'm really just interested in paying tribute to the 40th anniversary by putting out the first book this year in the Basic [Moldvay] system.  I might be able to get the second book out by year end if all goes well (the second book is nearly fully written, but lacking finished maps, playtesting, and of course, artwork).

I'm using the same artist that I used from the four monster guides and last KS, and just paid him for the completion of the color cover - his work again does not disappoint.  It's quite good.

The book will be digest-sized, exterior color, interior b&w, between 24 - 32 pages in length.  I'm targeting an early August KS launch.

KS stretch goals *may* include color interior and increased length (I'm not a huge fan of stretch goals but I'm leaving the door open on this).  There will be collector levels (both US and Int'l) again, and a few new levels (early bird and 2 book levels).

Thanks,

Thom Wilson
ThrowiGames LLC
~throwi