Eye of the Dragon Photos
Author

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:02 pm 

Tracy had recently had surgery, and while he had completed enough of the adventure to have been able to run it for us, he did not, as he was visibly tired. He did however have a two hour meet and greet with about 10 Acaeumites (Melnibonean, Bracton, Blackmoor and family, DBartman and family, Rabbit67, MadHermit, Increment, Thunderdave, Mars, me) for two hours. It was a lot of fun hearing Tracy's stories, and hopefully all that were supposed to play will be able to be back next year when he will run it then.
While we do not have an exact completion date yet, suffice to say that the parts he showed us (mainly the player maps) looked fantastic. He wanted to show us more, but Laura gently reminded him that we are going to be playing the adventure, and as such should not see it. But Tracy was so proud to show it to us he was like a kid in a candy store. He told us of the steps he had taken to make it visibly look like Rahasia/Pharoah while fleshing it out with great improvements in the 30+ years since it was conceived. Since we will of course be distributing the copies to people as soon as we have them, those that will be joining Tracy next August will have a very difficult choice on their hands whether to read now and step aside or wait 10 (or so) months to play in it first...

I was not intending this as a sales pitch, but we have sold 18 of the 26 available copies. If any that have bought a copy already want a second that may proceed, or any one else can buy up to two at this time. Please contact Bracton or Melnibonean or me if you are interested.

Shrink is not a condition

Last edited by stratochamp on Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:04 pm 

Sorry, RL has been pretty nasty since I got back from Gen Con.  I had mentioned in my Gen Con report that Tracy had surgery about a week before the convention, so he wasn't up for running the game.  But Thursday night, those of us who had bought a module got to meet with Tracy and Laura for a couple hours, hear stories, and see both maps and text from the adventure.  Laura tried to keep Tracy from showing too much, to avoid spoiling the surprise.  The maps are very cool, but unfortunately, I didn't think to take a picture of them.  Here are two of the pictures I did take; apologies for the quality; I only had my cell phone this year, not a real camera.

The adventure isn't finished yet, but I will certainly update this thread (and post more pictures) when it is.

"Parturient montes, nascetur ridiculus mus."

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:56 pm 

We also brought a bonus item to Gen Con that will be included with every purchase of the Eye of the Dragon.  Some of you may have seen the pink one-sided Nightventures flyer from the late 70s to early 80s promoting Rahasia, Pharaoh, and Eye of the Dragon.  A tan/goldenrod two-sided flyer from the late 70s to early 80s, that was given by the Hickmans to various hobby shops and distributors to promote their Nightventures product line, will be exclusively included with each Eye of the Dragon module.  I have attached photos of the flyer, that to our knowledge, are the only remaining copies of this promotional material.  The Hickmans found less than 40 of the flyers in their possession.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:21 am 

I believe the number assignment was also determined by using Bill's loaded dice tower.

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 1:09 pm 

Mars wrote in Eye of the Dragon Photos:I believe the number assignment was also determined by using Bill's loaded dice tower.

I have seen his dice tower in action...

... it's not loaded... (and baby Jesus wept...).

RPG’s, D&D in particular has had a major influence in my life. It’s bonded me together with life long friends...it’s that bond in life not just as friends, but in our jokes, our mannerisms, and what we find funny. Invincible Overlord

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 3:42 pm 

Invincible Overlord wrote in Eye of the Dragon Photos:
Mars wrote in Eye of the Dragon Photos:I believe the number assignment was also determined by using Bill's loaded dice tower.

I have seen his dice tower in action...

... it's not loaded... (and baby Jesus wept...).

Is this in reference to Franks campaign where Bill had a cleric ranger who couldnt hit a barn with a Sherman tank from five feet away? Those were some funny stories.

Mike B

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 10:14 pm 

Hi Everyone,

I just wanted to give you all a quick update.  Since GenCon, Tracy had some other commitments at a number of other Cons.  I spoke to him about a week ago and he was back home and working to finish up Eye of the Dragon.  He has indicated that we should he is on schedule for a final release of Eye of the Dragon the end of October.  We will continue to post updates over the next month.  We are excited to get this released in the near future.  Thanks again for all of those that have supported the project.

Best regards,

Scott

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 4:49 pm 

Hi Everyone,

We have a quick update from Tracy regarding Eye of the Dragon.  He has been working diligently on multiple projects until recently.  There are a few challenges that have taken longer than what he expected.  Also, I believe a few of his other mainstream projects have taken a bit of precedence over Eye of the Dragon.  The good news is that he is 100% focused on Eye of the Dragon this month and intends to have it completed before Christmas.  He believes it will be sooner than that but we are hoping that Christmas is a safe date to disclose.  

Please find attached below a YouTube video from Tracy with his update and some pretty cool advances in the project.

Eye of the Dragon Update - YouTube

We will continue to keep you all posted with progress over the next 45 days.  Best regards,

Scott

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 10:16 pm 

Thanks for posting that Scott. What an interesting insight into Tracy's design process, some of which he went over at Gencon, and more that was new. I loved Tracy pulling out his original DMG in the video, and  seeing that it's a 1st print with the "D" running off the page. Too cool!

Shrink is not a condition

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 6:40 pm 

Hello EotD Team,

Great thread and I am looking forward to hearing more about this. I am seriously considering committing to obtain a copy, but would rather know the material has been completed and is going to print, before I make this kind of financial commitment ... my wife will kill me (three 20's in a row mind you) if she finds out  PDT_Armataz_01_05

Regarding the discussion prior, I would like to make this recommendation, regardless of price points, which I would hope that all parties involved would consider:
Limited Edition (38 copies - 26 for sale) - ask the Hickmans to sign each copy, have a cover & title page signifying "Limited Edition of ____", and maybe a color map, plus these copies come with the incredibly rare bonus flyers.
Collector's Edition (100 copies) - numbered copies, NOT signed, no indication of being "limited" other than numbered, B&W map, and obviously no flyers.

I feel that this would substantially differentiate the two versions and gives those who can afford the Ferrari, the "specialness" of Ferrari, while those who can afford a Honda, still get a good quality product that they will enjoy and cherish. The reason I use this analogy is that even though these limited editions are like buying a Ferrari, the point is that one can either buy the Ferrari or ... there is no other option. Fans of the Hickmans, Dragonlance, and D&D should have the opportunity to get a Honda, not be told "Buy the Ferrari or take a walk". Just my two cents.

BTW, I would probably be inclined to get both versions ... one to put away in the "vault" and the other would be a copy to share with others or use in actual play. I wouldn't want to use a $1,200+ module at a gaming table ...
"Who spilled their Starbucks on my EotD!?!"  PDT_Armataz_01_19

Thank you,

"Okay, we turn the corner and see a Purple 'WHAT' !?!" . . (the DM rolls a 20 or so he says) . . It all went black right after that.

[email protected]

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 4:16 am 

PM-Knight wrote in Eye of the Dragon Photos:Hello EotD Team,

Great thread and I am looking forward to hearing more about this. I am seriously considering committing to obtain a copy, but would rather know the material has been completed and is going to print, before I make this kind of financial commitment ... my wife will kill me (three 20's in a row mind you) if she finds out  PDT_Armataz_01_05

Regarding the discussion prior, I would like to make this recommendation, regardless of price points, which I would hope that all parties involved would consider:
Limited Edition (38 copies - 26 for sale) - ask the Hickmans to sign each copy, have a cover & title page signifying "Limited Edition of ____", and maybe a color map, plus these copies come with the incredibly rare bonus flyers.
Collector's Edition (100 copies) - numbered copies, NOT signed, no indication of being "limited" other than numbered, B&W map, and obviously no flyers.

I feel that this would substantially differentiate the two versions and gives those who can afford the Ferrari, the "specialness" of Ferrari, while those who can afford a Honda, still get a good quality product that they will enjoy and cherish. The reason I use this analogy is that even though these limited editions are like buying a Ferrari, the point is that one can either buy the Ferrari or ... there is no other option. Fans of the Hickmans, Dragonlance, and D&D should have the opportunity to get a Honda, not be told "Buy the Ferrari or take a walk". Just my two cents.

BTW, I would probably be inclined to get both versions ... one to put away in the "vault" and the other would be a copy to share with others or use in actual play. I wouldn't want to use a $1,200+ module at a gaming table ...
"Who spilled their Starbucks on my EotD!?!"  PDT_Armataz_01_19

Thank you,

Full support from my side. I am not interested in ferrari but would love to own a piece of rpg history...

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 5:38 pm 

+1 to the two versions.

Hector.

Habent sua fata libelli 8)

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 3:26 pm 

Hi Everyone,
I wanted to send out good news that Tracy has released a rough draft version of Eye of the Dragon to the producers.  It looks really good.  We are reviewing this with final feedback going to Tracy over the next week.  We should have final copies available to ship the week of December 15th.  We will post some pictures of the completed modules once they are ready.  Also, we would like to confirm that we are 100% sold out for the project.  Thanks for the support and the patience to see this through to completion.
Best regards,
Scott

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 12:48 am 

Any chance to have a 2nd proletary printing?

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:11 pm 

The Eye of the Dragon is finished!!!  I went over to pick up the copies from Tracy and Laura today and was actually able to watch 2 of the copies being hand assembled by Tracy himself just like he assembled Rahasia and Pharaoh. The finish copies are stunning. We will be shipping them out to everyone this week just in time for the holidays. Cheers and Happy Holidays!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:01 pm 

Hi Scott & EotD team!  Great news, can't wait.  I have a new address since we began the project... I can send it by pm to Scott (or someone else?)  Thanks everyone :)

I draw the line at collecting... D&D beach towels.

Shoulda been: ".. from Pangreenia to Floratopolis, from mystical Treeonia of spectral Forests to Schruborial dimensions." - The Forests of Leng

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:38 pm 

Fantastic! :D

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 1:26 am 

Thunderdave wrote in Eye of the Dragon Photos:Hi Scott & EotD team!  Great news, can't wait.  I have a new address since we began the project... I can send it by pm to Scott (or someone else?)  Thanks everyone :)

Hi Dave.  New address received.  We will make sure it is delivered to that location.  Cheers!

PreviousNext