Eye of the Dragon Photos
Author

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:27 am 

BTW just to let everyone know my musings were merely that, discussion for the sake of discussion. This isn't a project I'm particularly interested in although I can see how students of the genre might be very interested in this "missing link" when studying RPGs.  I honestly don't see how a cheaper edition, especially pdf, could be offered without causing ill-will among those who paid over $1000 for the original items.  But I also understand it was either this price point or nothing, so it's good that this will see the light of day in SOME form.  Beyond rarified collecting circles, I cannot see a lot of interest here. It would be good to get an "affordable" edition but that probably isn't going to happen through regular channels, no matter the cost of a pdf....

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:21 pm 

Personally, I wouldn't even consider paying $1,000 for an item without an absolute, ironclad guarantee that it was never going to be republished, and that is pretty much impossible to guarantee without legal intervention. Yes, they republished things like the brown box set, but the original is 40 years old; if Eye of the Dragon is republished I doubt it would be in 2054, more like next year. The pricing should be somewhere around $50 or so for a hard copy. Palace of the Vamp Queen and Dwarven Glory reprints go for that or less. You're not talking about an item that has survived decades and which has a finite and small amount of copies.
If the idea is for it to see the light of day and for the Hickmans to make some money, a reasonably priced PDF would be a good idea. $1K smacks to me of profiteering from collectors who hold the item near and dear.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:31 pm 

This, of course, is exactly why I didn't want to discuss the economics of the module in the public forum.  It's a distraction from the real purpose of the thread, which is to make information about EotD available to the collecting community generally.

The four of us wanted to see EotD finally in print.  We commissioned the Hickmans, who required compensation to divert their attention from their other projects.  A limited edition was the only way to make it all work.  We can muse about any number of alternative formats, but in the end none of them would have resulted in the production of EotD.

We expect that the initial purchasers will be extremely happy with the module they receive, and we will do nothing to harm their investment.  For that reason alone, as well as the others that have been mentioned, a second printing or other edition does indeed seem unlikely.

But, due to EotD's place in the history of D&D, we do want information about it to be available more generally, which we will post here when we have it.

"Parturient montes, nascetur ridiculus mus."

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:49 pm 

Hi,

will there be a list of purchasers anywhere please?

Cheers,
KAJ

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:00 pm 

We haven't asked any of the purchasers whether they want their names to be made public, so at this point we don't plan on posting a list.  Needless to say, those who have seats at the game at Gen Con will be able to see a small sampling by looking around the table.  Assuming they don't mind, I would plan on posting pictures of the game on this thread.  :)

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:21 pm 

$47,500 seems a bit much to "divert someone's attention".

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:20 pm 

Deadlord wrote in Eye of the Dragon Photos:$47,500 seems a bit much to "divert someone's attention".

Everyone's time has different value.

Frankly, this just smacks of "sour grapes" to me. Some people can't afford Ferraris either, but you don't see them losing their mind about the limited edition car that they can't afford. Anyone can offer any item at any price they'd like. This being a super special, limited edition makes any speculation on value purely speculation. At least what, a dozen people think that price is fair? I'm saving for a house myself, so this is out of my realm, but I don't think the value is tremendously out of whack considering the authors and the material.

Zenfinite

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:00 am 

Deadlord wrote in Eye of the Dragon Photos:$47,500 seems a bit much to "divert someone's attention".

I guess how much it would be reasonable to charge for writing up a new module (from notes) depends a lot upon where you live and what your life is like. e.g. where I am, things can be pretty expensive ... which incidentally and (sadly) limits my spending power. :)

Although it may not be that much. Although 38 copies are being printed only 26 are up for sale at this stage (total 32,500) and I suppose that there is a risk they may not sell all the copies in the end. I presume the other 12 copies are being retained by the authors and project originators (based upon recent sales, if any are being retained by the authors, you might also see them up for sale in due course).

Declaration: I am not on the purchase list. Although in general I am supportive of the creation of any new (old) D&D/AD&D modules.

Let's go fly a kite
Up to the highest height!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:36 pm 

We are talking the Hickman's, frankly 50k doesn't sound like much when you understand that this is indeed a diversion for them.  Kind of like getting Dustin Hoffman to do a biopic on a student film he made back in the 60s, if he has the time and you have the money he might do it.  If this was the only way it was going to happen, and people who pay the amount don't mind paying that amount, more power to everyone involved.

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:34 pm 

Tracy recently posted information on his website about the process of recreating EotD.  Link below.

Eye of the Dragon: Recreating the Past

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:24 pm 

Thanks for posting that link, Bracton. I'm glad that Tracy Hickman is going into detail about the process he's using the recreate the module.

Zenopus Archives website & blog: Exploring the Underworld of Holmes Basic D&D. Holmes Ref: Reference Sheets for Holmes Basic Referees, also compatible with OD&D plus the Greyhawk supplement

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:21 am 

Has tomorrow's game been confirmed?

I draw the line at collecting... D&D beach towels.

Shoulda been: ".. from Pangreenia to Floratopolis, from mystical Treeonia of spectral Forests to Schruborial dimensions." - The Forests of Leng

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:50 am 

Room for one more?

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:05 am 

The game has been confirmed, but I don't have location or specific time yet.  I'll reach out to all of those in the game by PM or email as soon as I have the details.

Mark, are you going to be at Gen Con?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:18 am 

Yes, it is looking like I am going to do the mad dash drive with Thunderdave - I can't claim coherency while I am there though.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:46 am 

Fantastic!  I'm looking forward to finally meeting you in person.

I think the game is filled, unfortunately.  But we do have at least one other person who is planning on watching, which you are certainly welcome to do.  I'll put you on the list to update when I get the details.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:10 pm 

Bracton wrote in Eye of the Dragon Photos:The game has been confirmed, but I don't have location or specific time yet.  I'll reach out to all of those in the game by PM or email as soon as I have the details.

Mark, are you going to be at Gen Con?

Hopefully Friday night from around 8 to midnight   :twisted:

Available now from Die Cast Games: Night of the Black Swords by Allen Hammack (Author of C2-The Ghost Tower of Inverness) with artwork by Jeff Easley and Diesel.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:17 pm 

burntwire brothers wrote in Eye of the Dragon Photos:Hopefully Friday night from around 8 to midnight   :twisted:

Unfortunately, I'll miss the collectibles auction - it is really a blitz in and out trip (one day only) - I think our driving time will be longer than the time spent at GenCon.

PreviousNext