FREE RPG DAY - June 21
Author

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:29 pm 

When I visit game stores who give FRPGD items out I always make sure to purchase something from the store. I am all for supporting local game stores. The game store I finally picked up an item at I purchased a Talisman expansion for $25. Playing a game at the store and not purchasing any items doesn't support the store or help them stay in business.

Available now from Die Cast Games: Night of the Black Swords by Allen Hammack (Author of C2-The Ghost Tower of Inverness) with artwork by Jeff Easley and Diesel.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:26 am 

throwi wrote in FREE RPG DAY - June 21:
burntwire brothers wrote in FREE RPG DAY - June 21:I don't play anything past 2nd edition D&D, I do collect DCC and LOTFP items though. I don't think it is right to expect someone to play in a game they are not interested in playing. There is also a free comic book day, do they make you read a comic in store that you don't want to read before you can take a free copy of one you do want?

Can we really compare comics (meant as a single person activity) to RPG books (meant to be played as a group)?

~throwi

Yes you can.  I have around 2000 individual items in my collection.  I cannot play them all, but I can read them all.  Most of the products in the RPG category are read far more than they are played.

Martin

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:43 am 

Prufrock wrote in FREE RPG DAY - June 21:
Can we really compare comics (meant as a single person activity) to RPG books (meant to be played as a group)?

~throwi

Yes you can.  I have around 2000 individual items in my collection.  I cannot play them all, but I can read them all.  Most of the products in the RPG category are read far more than they are played.

Martin

I agree with Prufrock.  I read much more of this stuff than I play it, and reading is a perfectly valid way of interacting with these materials.  I would also agree with points made by both Invicible Overlord and burntwire brothers. Stores should abide by the rules set forth by the FREE RPG DAY organizers to give stuff away just for the asking, but people who get this free stuff should do their best to support stores as best they can.  It appears to me that brick and mortar places, for RPGs AND comics, have thinned out over the past twenty years, and these are some of the best hopes for our hobby.  Conventions are spectacular, but they don't attract the majority of gamers.

I don't know what the answer is here.  Maybe if participating stores included a flyer which explained this position as well as a listing of weekly activities, upcoming tournaments, requests for GM's/DM's then perhaps that would recruit the kind of attention they need to stay afloat and continue their participation in the FREE RPG DAY give-away.  One final thing I would like to add is that I have noticed over the past couple of years that demand for the FREE RPG DAY kits is high, and they always run out several months prior to the event.  That is encouraging news to me.   8)

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:32 pm 

Prufrock wrote in FREE RPG DAY - June 21:

~throwi

Martin

Fair enough, from a collector's point of view.

From a vendor's point of view, you hope that people actually play your products.  And stores like to build the community so that people return (and not ncessarily on the next Free Whatever Day).

~throwi

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:46 am 

Prufrock wrote in FREE RPG DAY - June 21:Yes you can.  I have around 2000 individual items in my collection.  I cannot play them all, but I can read them all.  Most of the products in the RPG category are read far more than they are played.

Martin

Fair enough, from a collector's point of view.

From a vendor's point of view, you hope that people actually play your products.  And stores like to build the community so that people return (and not necessarily on the next Free Whatever Day).

~throwi

Exactly!

I didn't mean to be too hard on the Burntwire Brothers, as they do support their FLGS.   :D

And that's all I can ask for.

RPG’s, D&D in particular has had a major influence in my life. It’s bonded me together with life long friends...it’s that bond in life not just as friends, but in our jokes, our mannerisms, and what we find funny. Invincible Overlord

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:30 pm 

Not to mention, of course, that the "free" stuff may be free to the customers, but the store has to pay for it.

Cheers,
KAL

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 7:42 pm 

GreyM wrote in FREE RPG DAY - June 21:
benjoshua wrote in FREE RPG DAY - June 21:If you are able to snag me a copy, I would be ever so grateful, and, of course, I'll pay all postage and packaging costs.  Most stores who host allow two free items per day.  And some of the items, especially the unique items, get snagged by the store owner before the customers even arrive.    :(  Good luck!   :)

I was able to get a copy for you. Send me a PM so I know where to send it.

I did pick up a copy of The Godsfall, but haven't read it yet. I also grabbed two copies of the DCC RPG and the 13th Age release and one store had a copy of the 2011 DCC RPG release.

Huge thanks to GreyM for the FREE RPG DAY LOTFP adventure.  It arrived very well-packed and in great shape.   PDT_Armataz_01_34

On another note, the adventure Doom Cave of the Crystal-Headed Children was indeed extremely weird, in the best way possible because it was so creative.  The writing by James Edward Raggi IV has created an adventure that is guaranteed to be different for every adventuring party.   And, I wouldn't be surprised if every adventuring party comes away never knowing exactly what happened or why, just that they had the ride of their lives....or deaths.  The only beef I had with the adventure was that the text was quite small, but maybe I'm just getting old.  After reading last year's FREE RPG DAY offering by LotFP, which was excellent, I'll be wanting to read next year's offering for sure.   8)

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:21 pm 

benjoshua wrote in FREE RPG DAY - June 21:Huge thanks to GreyM for the FREE RPG DAY LOTFP adventure.  It arrived very well-packed and in great shape.   PDT_Armataz_01_34

On another note, the adventure Doom Cave of the Crystal-Headed Children was indeed extremely weird, in the best way possible because it was so creative.  The writing by James Edward Raggi IV has created an adventure that is guaranteed to be different for every adventuring party.   And, I wouldn't be surprised if every adventuring party comes away never knowing exactly what happened or why, just that they had the ride of their lives....or deaths.  The only beef I had with the adventure was that the text was quite small, but maybe I'm just getting old.  After reading last year's FREE RPG DAY offering by LotFP, which was excellent, I'll be wanting to read next year's offering for sure.   8)

Sorry for the late shipping, but hey, its free ;-)  Remind me next year to grab you a copy of their 2015 adventure (if they get into it again).

Previous