FREE RPG DAY - June 21
Author

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu May 29, 2014 4:56 pm 

Free RPG Day is June 21st.  Here's the web-site:

Free RPG Day

Looks like there's some decent stuff this year.  I am particularly interested in the Lamentations of the Flame Princess offering.
Doom Cave of the Crystal-Headed Children: What scuttles in the Long Chamber of the Motherless? What happens if you press the Purple Button? And what became of the Spanish galleon San Felipe?  100 women say their children are gone missing.  The kids, they all look the same, they have the same name, the same birthday. No one can even remember them existing, except for their mothers.  Throw in a dungeon, some alien technology and a strange wizard; you've got weird adventure.

Hopefully I can grab me some goodies but no one close to me is hosting.   :(

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 1:54 pm 

I got to remember to hit this this year. I always manage to forget :elephant:

Well, we land in barren fields
On the Arizona plains

Publisher of AFS Magazine, 'Pulp literature meets old school gaming'  Halls of Tizun Thane

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 2:47 pm 

benjoshua wrote in FREE RPG DAY - June 21:Free RPG Day is June 21st.  Here's the web-site:

Free RPG Day

Looks like there's some decent stuff this year.  I am particularly interested in the Lamentations of the Flame Princess offering.
Doom Cave of the Crystal-Headed Children: What scuttles in the Long Chamber of the Motherless? What happens if you press the Purple Button? And what became of the Spanish galleon San Felipe?  100 women say their children are gone missing.  The kids, they all look the same, they have the same name, the same birthday. No one can even remember them existing, except for their mothers.  Throw in a dungeon, some alien technology and a strange wizard; you've got weird adventure.

Hopefully I can grab me some goodies but no one close to me is hosting.   :(

There are 3 stores within normal driving distance that I can hit on Free RPG Day...I will try to get you a copy of it if I can remember. There isn't anything that really jumps out this year to me other than the Goodman Games DCC RPG. Might take my son if needed by anyone that else doesn't have a participating store close to them. It also depends on how many (if there is a limit) at each shop too.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:32 pm 

GreyM wrote in FREE RPG DAY - June 21:There are 3 stores within normal driving distance that I can hit on Free RPG Day...I will try to get you a copy of it if I can remember. There isn't anything that really jumps out this year to me other than the Goodman Games DCC RPG. Might take my son if needed by anyone that else doesn't have a participating store close to them. It also depends on how many (if there is a limit) at each shop too.

If you are able to snag me a copy, I would be ever so grateful, and, of course, I'll pay all postage and packaging costs.  Most stores who host allow two free items per day.  And some of the items, especially the unique items, get snagged by the store owner before the customers even arrive.    :(  Good luck!   :)

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:58 am 

BUMP.  FREE RPG DAY is this weekend!   :)

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 10:49 pm 

Did anyone pick up copies of the Godsfall booklet, and if so, did it look interesting at all?  It's the one that most caught my eye this year.

Our FLGS limits pickups to 3 today, and perhaps more tomorrow when leftovers are there.  I grabbed 2 copies of the LotFP module (figuring I could trade it), and the  Mesozoic Mayhem choose your own adventure booklet (I thought the boys might like that).  I thought about grabbing the PF adventure but I never play PF, so I figured the LotFP would be better trade bait since it's rarer.

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 11:43 pm 

I went and picked up the DCC adventure, the LOTFP adventure, a 13th age something or other and a thing called Cosmic Patrol.

Well, we land in barren fields
On the Arizona plains

Publisher of AFS Magazine, 'Pulp literature meets old school gaming'  Halls of Tizun Thane

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:26 am 

I was able to grab a Godsfall, which is one I was hoping for because at one per box, there just weren't that many to get.

It is digest size, 20 pages, nice b&w art, larger font than the LotFP so less content... three pages of mechanics, four pages of pregens, then a simple linear wilderness trek.

I would have liked a map.  Also I thought the game had some horror-themes which I didn't pick up on.  Overall a pretty average item, but I'll check out the game when it's released.

I draw the line at collecting... D&D beach towels.

Shoulda been: ".. from Pangreenia to Floratopolis, from mystical Treeonia of spectral Forests to Schruborial dimensions." - The Forests of Leng

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:29 am 

The LotFP adventure is pretty awesome though, I love Raggi's dig at those who didn't care for last years adventure :)  For collectibility, quality, and entertainment it takes the prize this year, imho.

I draw the line at collecting... D&D beach towels.

Shoulda been: ".. from Pangreenia to Floratopolis, from mystical Treeonia of spectral Forests to Schruborial dimensions." - The Forests of Leng

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 12:46 pm 

benjoshua wrote in FREE RPG DAY - June 21:If you are able to snag me a copy, I would be ever so grateful, and, of course, I'll pay all postage and packaging costs.  Most stores who host allow two free items per day.  And some of the items, especially the unique items, get snagged by the store owner before the customers even arrive.    :(  Good luck!   :)

I was able to get a copy for you. Send me a PM so I know where to send it.

I did pick up a copy of The Godsfall, but haven't read it yet. I also grabbed two copies of the DCC RPG and the 13th Age release and one store had a copy of the 2011 DCC RPG release.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 12:50 pm 

GreyM wrote in FREE RPG DAY - June 21:
benjoshua wrote in FREE RPG DAY - June 21:If you are able to snag me a copy, I would be ever so grateful, and, of course, I'll pay all postage and packaging costs.  Most stores who host allow two free items per day.  And some of the items, especially the unique items, get snagged by the store owner before the customers even arrive.    :(  Good luck!   :)

I was able to get a copy for you. Send me a PM so I know where to send it.

I did pick up a copy of The Godsfall, but haven't read it yet. I also grabbed two copies of the DCC RPG and the 13th Age release and one store had a copy of the 2011 DCC RPG release.

You da man!  Thank you, thank you!  PM on the way!   :D

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 3:02 pm 

The chain game store in Indiana is The Game Preserve. I have avoided going there for years as they suck big time. I ended up driving to Bloomington, IN because they had 2 stores participating(The Game Preserve and Common Room Games). I arrived at the Game Preserve at 10:20 and asked about FRPGD and they stated the events started around noon. So apparently you had to play in a game to get a free item. I will never even think of entering one of their stores in the future. Common Room Games didn't have the store hours on their website(oops) and they didn't open until noon and I didn't want to wait and hour and a half. So I went to another store on the North side of Indy but they only allowed 1 item, picked up the LoTFP item.

Available now from Die Cast Games: Night of the Black Swords by Allen Hammack (Author of C2-The Ghost Tower of Inverness) with artwork by Jeff Easley and Diesel.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 3:20 pm 

I used to kill myself driving all over town to pick this stuff up, now I just wait a couple years and it pops up on ebay at reasonable prices.... :D After the initial post-Free RPG day surge, prices often trickle down to affordable.

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:33 am 

burntwire brothers wrote in FREE RPG DAY - June 21:I arrived at the Game Preserve at 10:20 and asked about FRPGD and they stated the events started around noon. So apparently you had to play in a game to get a free item. I will never even think of entering one of their stores in the future.

:?:

Asking people to play in a game to get a free item actually sounds sensible to me.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:50 am 

That isnt part of the participation rules for stores, though. At least not for at least one item. I know i left one place last year that did that.  Nothing against playing a game to get something ingeneral but the only options were complete 4 hour sessions. No time for that without knowing ahead of time.

From the freerpgday website:

Q:Do they really give stuff away?

A: They sure do. One of the conditions of taking part in Free RPG Day is that they have to give away at least one item to you for free just for asking. It's up to them what they give away, though. They may well reserve the premium items for those who take part in their event. The idea, after all, is to have a great time. It's not just to show up and demand free stuff.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:34 pm 

I don't play anything past 2nd edition D&D, I do collect DCC and LOTFP items though. I don't think it is right to expect someone to play in a game they are not interested in playing. There is also a free comic book day, do they make you read a comic in store that you don't want to read before you can take a free copy of one you do want?

Available now from Die Cast Games: Night of the Black Swords by Allen Hammack (Author of C2-The Ghost Tower of Inverness) with artwork by Jeff Easley and Diesel.

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:10 am 

burntwire brothers wrote in FREE RPG DAY - June 21:I don't play anything past 2nd edition D&D, I do collect DCC and LOTFP items though. I don't think it is right to expect someone to play in a game they are not interested in playing. There is also a free comic book day, do they make you read a comic in store that you don't want to read before you can take a free copy of one you do want?

The point of the Free RPG Day is not just to give stuff away, but to get people back into the mom-and-pop game stores.

If you don't wish to support them and watch them die off a slow and painful death, that's your choice.

Sit down. Play a game. Support the store.

My god you might even have to interact with.... *gasp* other people...  <g>

RPG’s, D&D in particular has had a major influence in my life. It’s bonded me together with life long friends...it’s that bond in life not just as friends, but in our jokes, our mannerisms, and what we find funny. Invincible Overlord

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:52 am 

burntwire brothers wrote in FREE RPG DAY - June 21:I don't play anything past 2nd edition D&D, I do collect DCC and LOTFP items though. I don't think it is right to expect someone to play in a game they are not interested in playing. There is also a free comic book day, do they make you read a comic in store that you don't want to read before you can take a free copy of one you do want?

Can we really compare comics (meant as a single person activity) to RPG books (meant to be played as a group)?

~throwi

Next