The Companions Islandia Campaign
Author

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 1:07 pm 

Does anyone else enjoy these as much as I do? Just reread Plague of Terror the other night because I came across it in a box of stuff I want to sell.  These came out in the early 80's, and for the time they were really worth the money.  Each product contains a ton of gaming info, with a small densely packed font that is sure to cause eyestrain.  All the plots are interesting in that they went far beyond what TSR proper or even JG was publishing at the time in terms of "grim reality" with lots of no-nos like torture, rape, poisoning, abuse, etc. Gems for Death and Streets of Gems deal with child abuse and slavery....I ran these once and I remember there was a high motivation to take out the bad guys due to the depravity of the crimes committed by the bad guys, the baddies were so evil that I don't even think the adventurers took time to gather treasure after they took out the slavers, they were so focused on making the bad guys suffer!  
     Likewise, Plague of Terror has some graphic torture sequences with a half-orc baddie kidnapping village women who once rejected him to make them suffer. There is also a woman accusing the party of rape (it's a false accusation, a con meant to seperate them from their items and treasure), and other adult situations.  I guess that's why I liked these so much, at the time I had more of a "high fantasy" type campaign, reading these made me realize that my campaign was truly "my" campaign, that if I wanted to make the bad guys really, really bad, or inject some adult situations into my adventures, the TSR D&D police weren't going to show up at my home to confiscate my campaign materials.   Through the years alcoholism (the mentor of a PC mage started hitting the bottle way too heavily), blood lust (an NPC who enjoyed torturing captives) and rape (a NPC tavern wench was attacked by a party NPC) made appearances in my campaign and were the themes of many well-played out roleplaying adventures.  All due to The Companions series making me realize I didn't have to "toe the line" in terms of subject content.
    But if you haven't read these I don't want to leave the idea these were sado-sicko fantasys....one thing all the Companions modules have in common are very well detailed NPCs, intricate plots, and interesting situations.  Nothing predictable or boring about any of them.
    BTW, has it conclusively been determined that "Sacrifices To the Orc Lord" was never published?  Neither myself or anyone connected with gaming has ever seen a copy.  If someone does have a copy, please contact me here or private email, thanks!

Mike B.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 2:11 pm 

Not familiar with this at all, but it's the type of 'tone' I enjoy.  What else can you/others tell me about them?

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 3:57 pm 

I corresponded with Wheeler a number of years back via e-mail and he said Sacrifices to the Orc Lord was never published; it was just planned.  
It's too bad because the title sounded pretty intriguing.   :wink:

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 4:10 pm 

I like them too.

They feel similar to the Gamelords' Thieves Guild & Haven material.
Low fantasy, medieval background, lots of NPCs and sub-plots.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 4:22 pm 

mordrin wrote:Not familiar with this at all, but it's the type of 'tone' I enjoy.  What else can you/others tell me about them?

Well, I can give a pretty good mini-review of Plague of Terror since I just finished re-reading it, the others I'd have to re-read before attempting a summation.
    For general info, The Companions Product line consisted of campaign items and play aids.  I'll leave out describing the hex and grid paper they also offered.  In terms of campaign items, these consisted of The Curse on Hareth; Plague of Terror; Brotherhood of the Bolt; Streets of Gems; Gems for Death; and the disputed Sacrifices of the Orc Lord (disputed because even though it is listed in both the product line published on the back of modules, and in Schick's Heroic Worlds, I've never heard of anyone actually seeing a copy in the 20 years it has supposedly been out).  Play aids include Places of Mystery I: Chilling Chambers; Places of Mystery II: Alluring Alcoves; Places of Mystery III: Sylvan Settings; Treasure Troves I: Cards of Power; Companion Pieces I & II: Fantasy Furnishings.  
The format for the Places of Mystery series is 10 short settings per item, very fully described, with suggestions for scenarios or adventures using the room or area as a backdrop.  This are also highly recommended, if nothing else they can give a ton of really good adventure ideas.  The Cards of Power describe lots of new magical items.  Fantasy furnishings are sheets with crack and peel furniture designs for filling in 25 mm maps (sorry I think I used up all mine back in the day and no longer can find these!).
   The Islandia Campaign scenarios are the meat of the Companions line.  Written for the most part by Wm. John Wheeler and Pter Rice, these scenario packs were unjustly overlooked by many a gamer during the 80's. (I remember Dragon magazine giving a really scathing review to one of the items at one point; ironically, this review caused me to eventually look up the Companions items and I really enjoyed them once I found them.
   The campaign scenario packs consisted of 50 pages (Curse on Hareth was longer) of very densely packed, almost hard to read font that garned a lot of criticism, but one thing you had to agree they gave you a lot for the money.  The plots are usually very intricate and involve several competing scenarios all taking place in the same area at the same time, so timelines were important in many of the packs.  At the time, this was pretty ambitious stuff considering how free form the campaigns were; TSR was well known at the time for publishing "follow the dot" plotlines and dungeons where the final encounter was always the last room in the lowest dungeon!  Most if not all the action in Companions items occurs in villages and outdoors, which gives a lot of leeway in regards to plotlines and how an adventure will flow; also, I always liked fully stocked villages and such because it didn't seem like there were a bunch of these being published 20 years ago when these were first released.  
    Another innovation that I've forgotten to mention up to know are the 25 mm maps included with the adventures...these were meant to be removed and are to scale for miniaturesand typically pictured important locales present in the modules.
    The modules are not game specific; the stats are really more guidelines than anything else, as a matter of fact you could take any of these adventures right now and convert them to 3rd edition with ease, or use them for Chivalry and Sorcery, Harn, GURPS, basically any Sword and Sorcery type RPG. Spellcaster's abilities are given in general terms about what sorts of spells they can cast; magical items have their effects described in non-game terms, merely telling what the item does so the gamemaster can affix his own stats.  
    AS mentioned before, the main attraction to me were the adult types of plots and situations that featured ideas that were considered taboo in TSR items published at the same time.  Adult situations were described without much fanfare or apology; sure, there may have been a very slight purient aspect to having the bad guys torture or abuse captives, but in a more realistic fantasy type world (think Joel Rosenberg or David Gemmell instead of Tolkien or Howard) these things would probably happen.  In TSR products these sort of events were not even hinted at as happening offstage; in The Companions items they were confronted head on and integratged into the plot.
     Besides the intricate and interesting plotlines, one of the main features of Companions items was the very detailed descriptions of both NPCs, locations and items.  Once again, compared to the TSR products of the times, well, there is really no comparison.  As an example, here is the description of Lareth the Beautiful, a bad guy that has been waxed elequoent about for decades and even brought back for the sequel to his appearance in T1 Village of Hommlet (in REturn to the Temple of Elemental Evil):
  "Lareth the Beautiful is the dark hope of chaotic evil; young, handsome, well endowed in abilities and aptitudes, thouroughly wicked, depraved and capricious.  Whomever harms Lareth had better not brag of it in the presence of one who will inform the Demoness Lolth!...Evil to the core, Lareth is cunning, and if the situation is in doubt, he will use bribery and honeyed words to sway the balance in his favor."  The rest of the three paragraph description details his mission, his dealings with foes, and his belongings in his personal chamber.  Not a wealth of information, but enough to play him as an NPC baddie.   By contrast, Plague of Terror spends an entire nine paragraphs (almost an entire page) detailing the main bad guy Sir Elgar, containing his physical description, general information about him that everyone knows, his manner and way of acting, his rationale (motivation), and hints for play.  For good measure, another 10 important characters are similarly detailed on the next five pages.  This is not to say this method is better than the one TSR employed at the time; sometimes it's better to leave blanks so the GM can fill in the holes. However, it did make the point that D&D buffs at the time often ignored, that NPC characters were far more than merely a set of stats waiting to be killed by the PCs.  
   This level of detail follows in both area and room descriptions, magical items, and detailing of plotlines.   I know some who decry such a style as too wordy and unnecessary, but myself I enjoy this level of detail as it helps fire the imagination, plus I can either alter or discard the information as I please.  
   Well, since I spent so much time on the set up (!!!!), I'll post a mini-review of Plague of Terror next so whoever is interested can get a look at what a typical Companions adventure was like!

Mike B.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 6:29 pm 

dathon wrote:I corresponded with Wheeler a number of years back via e-mail and he said Sacrifices to the Orc Lord was never published; it was just planned.  
It's too bad because the title sounded pretty intriguing.   :wink:

Thanks for confirming; I think you had posted this info before, but I had forgotten it.  I wonder if the manuscript is still floating around someplace?  From the description given it sounds like this went way beyond the "proposal" stage and something was actually written up; also, if you read the playtest notes inside some of the Companions products it sometimes lists dates as far back as 1978 (Companions items were published in the early 80's, 1983 and 1984 or thereabouts).  So apparantly these adventures existed as part of someone's campaign.  The stuff they did publish is so good I wouldn't mind seeing unpublished stuff.

Mike B.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 7:56 pm 

Badmike wrote:
mordrin wrote:Not familiar with this at all, but it's the type of 'tone' I enjoy.  What else can you/others tell me about them?

Well, I can give a pretty good mini-review of Plague of Terror since I just finished re-reading it, the others I'd have to re-read before attempting a summation.

As promised, here is a mini-review so a would-be collector can get the feel for a typical Companions release.  If my memory serves, Plague of Terror was probably the least distinguished of the scenario packs, but it's still an interesting setting and adventure.
    The main plot is the takeover of the village of Wentworth and its holdings by the thoroughly evil "Sir" Elgar, a villain and opportunist of the highest level.  His many layered plans are worthy of a major bad guy; if you ran this in your campaign, I'd make this guy a major "Darth Vader" like recurring antagonist, one who continues to bedevil the party for years.  His strengths lie not in his abilities or magic items, however, but in his cunning and devious mind, and unravelling his plan will tax even the most knowledgable and experienced party of adventurers.  To further obfustcate his role there are several sub-plots and red herrings present, as well as minor villains (including one so vile and despicable Sir Elgar doesn't look as bad next to him!).
    Much of the set up occurs before the party ever travels to the village of Wentworth, as Elgar's dastardly plans are proceeding along just fine.  It is hoped that the arrival of the adventurers will be the thorn in the paw that eventually unravels all of Elgar's careful plans.  In setting and tone I found the adventure read much like a classic western flick, you know where the man with no name or the group of misfits roll into a corrupt western town and proceed to clean it up.  There is a timeline for the story that proceeds along from when the party arrives until  30 days later when Elgar's plans will be completed by marrying the current Baron's daughter.  Hopefully the party will begin to investigate and foil his plans long before then, if nothing but for the sake of innocent women being tortured and killed by one of Elgar's henchmen (The "Plague" of the title) during the activities.
    Elgar has insinuated himself into the upper levels of Wentworth society by befriending and beguiling the Baron's son, Emery.  Emery was sent away by his father Baron Fallon to learn about the world and grow up; the young impressionable knight was taken in by Elgar's charismatic ways, and Elgar completed the takeover by presenting Emery with a Collar of Obedience, a magic item that works much like a constant Charm Spell.  Elgar returned with Emery back to the Barony, where he proceded to similarly beguile the Baron's daughter with the goal of marrying her; kill the Baron's wife when she got too close to the truth; framed the Baron's loyal guard for treason and installed his own cronies as the new Manor guard; turn the village into his own private criminal empire by recruiting thieves, scum, con-men and killers to take over all the village's enterprises and industries and extorting those that didn't leave when this happened; place his own false priest into the position of the formerly trusted village pastor; open negotiantions with a local tribe of hobgoblins in order to sell them villagers to use as slaves; attempt to kill the loyal steward of Baron Fallon and then poison and kill the Baron himself (after which he will marry the Baron's daughter and his takeover of Wentworth will be complete). As you can see, Elgar is an ambitious SOB as well as being thoroughly evil.  However, most of his evil deeds are done in the background as he uses the completely loyal Baron's son Emery as the front man in his escapades (he has Emery issue all of the orders so he can slide if blame is placed for anything).  
    The main plotline is the devious plans of Elgar and the taking over of the village bit by bit.  There exist several subplots, which are: Destroying the fencing operation run by Elgar on the side; Defeating the fake priest and rescuing the real one; Killing or running off the evil tavernkeeper and the host of "riffraff" that work the inn as pickpockets, con men, thieves and killers; Rescure the villagers being sold into slavery; and in the most interesting subplot discover and kill a psychotic serial killer who is targeting ladies in the town before he tortures and kills them all in his lair (Fensterwald is also the right hand man of Elgar, who doesn't know what his own assistant is up to on the side). Fensterwald has been poisoning ladies who once rejected him (he is of half orc parentage and once lived in the town years ago), having the fake priest declare them "dead" of a plague, then bringing them to his personal torture chamber after they awaken to do away with one by one.  The faster the characters can unravel this mystery and find his lair, the more of the doomed ladies they can rescue.  If not, the dead and tortured bodies of the ladies begin turning up in quite grisly ways (a dog finds the arm of one girl in the swamp; the fingers of another girl are discovered left on her husband's doorstep by the increasing insane killer).  All in all, it will take a lot of time and effort to wrap up all of these subplots and the main plot in a month's time; it could take even longer if the party dallies.
    Each subplot has it's own section, which details the characters involved, their schemes, and the locale they are found in.  All together, I believe the module describes close to 25 NPCs in more than average detail.  A lot of the subplots could be ignored or used in another adventure, but having so much going on in one village gives an impression of a dynamic, living situation that the characters have stumbled into instead of the typical "everyone is standing around waiting for the heroes to arrive" plotline of many fantasy RPG modules.  
    There is a timeline of events, and several planned encounters to go with the freeform investigation that many characters will use upon getting involved in the village's affairs. It is entirely possible that characters will focus on a few subplots and the main plot and either ignore or chose not to delve into the others.  The author uses several very good methods in order to get the characters involved, and doesn't make this seem like "railroading" the party or using the old fashioned "You all wake up in a jail cell together and you have to do a favor for the king to get out..." crap.  The events and encounters, and the characters involvement therein, all flow naturally and logically.  For example, the set up of the entire adventure involves the characters as they are on the outskirts of Wentworth meeting the fleeing loyal manor guard as they escape combat with Elgar's men who have trumped up charges against them and forced them to flee for their lives.  The character's are asked to provide a priest for healing the injured members; later, when the loyal guardsmen are found butchered in the woods, it sets the stage for seeds of doubt to creep into the characters mind that the new Manor guards are truly moral and trustworthy individuals.  The PCs aren't beat over the head with this introduction by having either the bad guys or good guys "overact" the part and immediately force the player's to choose sides; later, when more bad things in Wentworth become evident, it merely becomes one more link in the chain of evidence that leads to Elgar and his schemes.  
   As noted, the environment is not rigid, and if the party does not get their asses in gear several helpful NPCs will be killed off (chief among them the Baron's steward Sir Ricard and Lady Penelope, the Baron's daughter's lady in waiting) and Elgar's hold on the village will intensify.  I've never actually played this campaign, but it seems that if the party waits until the Baron is eventually killed (which occurs on Day 21) they may have waited too long; past this date they have few allies and they better get ready for one clusterfuck of a battle with Elgar and his troops (probably at his wedding for the most dramatic effect).
  Lots of possible endings, battles and resolutions for this scenario are what I like about it (and the other Companions items).  I don't see how any two gaming groups would play this alike or have even remotely the same wrap up.  As a matter of fact, it's entirely possible the players might get sidetracked with the subplots and utterly fail to stop Elgar from becoming the new Baron; this would lead to a intriguing continuing plot as he would probably start hunting down the party as soon as he consolidated his power in the area.  
    Well, the mini-review was far more than that, but as you can see the respect myself and others have for The Companions items are well justified.  I would recommend anyone get at least one of these scenarios (they pop up on Ebay all the time, and are not too expensive) and at least read it if not play it, the ideas alone are worth chasing one of these down. If anyone else has used one of these in a campaign world, let us know how the adventure turned out!

Mike B.

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 10:35 pm 

Nice, you should bring the module to the meeting on Saturday...

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 12:45 pm 

Badmike wrote:Does anyone else enjoy these as much as I do? Just reread Plague of Terror the other night because I came across it in a box of stuff I want to sell.  These came out in the early 80's, and for the time they were really worth the money.  Each product contains a ton of gaming info, with a small densely packed font that is sure to cause eyestrain.  All the plots are interesting in that they went far beyond what TSR proper or even JG was publishing at the time in terms of "grim reality" with lots of no-nos like torture, rape, poisoning, abuse, etc. Gems for Death and Streets of Gems deal with child abuse and slavery....I ran these once and I remember there was a high motivation to take out the bad guys due to the depravity of the crimes committed by the bad guys, the baddies were so evil that I don't even think the adventurers took time to gather treasure after they took out the slavers, they were so focused on making the bad guys suffer!  
     Likewise, Plague of Terror has some graphic torture sequences with a half-orc baddie kidnapping village women who once rejected him to make them suffer. There is also a woman accusing the party of rape (it's a false accusation, a con meant to seperate them from their items and treasure), and other adult situations.  I guess that's why I liked these so much, at the time I had more of a "high fantasy" type campaign, reading these made me realize that my campaign was truly "my" campaign, that if I wanted to make the bad guys really, really bad, or inject some adult situations into my adventures, the TSR D&D police weren't going to show up at my home to confiscate my campaign materials.   Through the years alcoholism (the mentor of a PC mage started hitting the bottle way too heavily), blood lust (an NPC who enjoyed torturing captives) and rape (a NPC tavern wench was attacked by a party NPC) made appearances in my campaign and were the themes of many well-played out roleplaying adventures.  All due to The Companions series making me realize I didn't have to "toe the line" in terms of subject content.
    But if you haven't read these I don't want to leave the idea these were sado-sicko fantasys....one thing all the Companions modules have in common are very well detailed NPCs, intricate plots, and interesting situations.  Nothing predictable or boring about any of them.
    BTW, has it conclusively been determined that "Sacrifices To the Orc Lord" was never published?  Neither myself or anyone connected with gaming has ever seen a copy.  If someone does have a copy, please contact me here or private email, thanks!

Mike B.

Yeah, I've been trying to find them on E-bay, to no avail.
I have "The Curse on Hareth" and want to complete the series.
Any takers?

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 1:56 am 

I had the opportunity to experience the Companions modules while I was in high school.  A local DJ who had moved to town recently recruited a group of us to play D&D and he used the Islandia modules.  I loved them!  In fact, I liked them so much, I bought all of the modules they published.  Unforunately, in moving over the years, I misplaced two of them - Street of Gems and Gems for Death.  I have yet to find a replacement for those.   :cry:

The interesting thing is that the guy who was DM'ing for us said he knew the creators and actually helped playtest the modules.  Based on some of the things he knew and some of the things he had, I believe that.  Apparently, the Companions actually planned on releasing a game where the players were taken from various times in our past and retrained to fight in the world of Islandia.  This never happened, but it sure was an interesting pretense.

I would love to see them publish some of their old work again.  I'm sure a lot of people would be happy to see that.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 4:54 am 

fletch wrote:I had the opportunity to experience the Companions modules while I was in high school.  A local DJ who had moved to town recently recruited a group of us to play D&D and he used the Islandia modules.  I loved them!  In fact, I liked them so much, I bought all of the modules they published.  Unforunately, in moving over the years, I misplaced two of them - Street of Gems and Gems for Death.  I have yet to find a replacement for those.   :cry:

The interesting thing is that the guy who was DM'ing for us said he knew the creators and actually helped playtest the modules.  Based on some of the things he knew and some of the things he had, I believe that.  Apparently, the Companions actually planned on releasing a game where the players were taken from various times in our past and retrained to fight in the world of Islandia.  This never happened, but it sure was an interesting pretense.

I would love to see them publish some of their old work again.  I'm sure a lot of people would be happy to see that.

Glad to see so many remember these fondly....hard to believe they are that hard to find on ebay, it seems they are always popping up there and going cheaply.....now that they've been featured in the Acaeum it might not be as easy the next time they pop up!!!
   The good thing about Companions items is that they were not "Edition specific"...that is, no stats are really featured, you could pull one of these out today and adapt it to 1st, 2nd or 3rd edition pretty easily.  
   It is kind of sad they never released Sacrifices to the Orc Lord..based on the high quality of the other releases, I'm sure it would have been another above average item.  I have a suspicion the actual notes and module exist somewhere, as the campaign was a "house" campaign before being published (I've heard this before and the poster seems to corraborate this).  It would be nice if Wheeler or Rice had these and could post them, especially if they existed in any type of finished (or, heck, unfinished) form.  I'd volunteer to use one of my free websites to do so if anyone comes across the manuscripts.  More probably they have been lost to the mists of time, tossed away sometime in the last 20 years, too bad....
    The only other Companions item I have close at hand is Highroad...I'll try to read and review it this weekend, to give a look at one of the "Places of Mystery" items and how they differed from the adventure modules. I hope to place Plague of Terror and Highroad up on Ebay sometime soon, I will announce here when I do in case anyone here is interested in getting these for their collection.

Mike B.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 5:13 am 

From what ive noticed on ebay (uk), Plague Of Terror crops up occasionally, but the others ive only seen once each.

Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 11:29 pm 

I played Islandia series back in High School with fletch (also posted on this board).  Great stuff, way ahead of it's time.  

I've got everything they ever produced, thanks to Ebay.  I think I got some of my collection from badmike actually.  However, I can't seem to find the page from Chilling Chambers which features the 25mm map of the Lord's Hall or Great Hall?  Anyone got this?  Can I get a photocopy?  Do you have a copy badmike?

Also, I have a good deal of the actual Islandia gamesystem that was never officially released.  I don't believe for a second that if it exists, Sacrifices doesn't.  Someone has it, if only in the rough out there.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 5:46 am 

Do have a definitive list of everything they actrually produced  - is Afterglows list correct?

Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 12:58 pm 

Yes, Afterglow's list is correct.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 1:43 pm 

We will be listing all of our Companions stuff Sunday night. Just a heads up to those who are looking for these items.

Happy collecting,
burntwire

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 12:46 am 

dean2918 wrote:I played Islandia series back in High School with fletch (also posted on this board).  Great stuff, way ahead of it's time.  

I've got everything they ever produced, thanks to Ebay.  I think I got some of my collection from badmike actually.  However, I can't seem to find the page from Chilling Chambers which features the 25mm map of the Lord's Hall or Great Hall?  Anyone got this?  Can I get a photocopy?  Do you have a copy badmike?

Also, I have a good deal of the actual Islandia gamesystem that was never officially released.  I don't believe for a second that if it exists, Sacrifices doesn't.  Someone has it, if only in the rough out there.

I'll see if I can locate my copy of Chilling Chambers, and if there is a map I'll run a copy for you....

BTW Burntwire has everything except Brotherhood of the Bolt and Highroad up on Ebay right now, If you are interested you might check it out, don't have the link but used keyword Islandia or Companions...

Dean I'm going to PM you about that Islandia stuff you have...

Mike B.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 5:08 am 

burntwire wrote:We will be listing all of our Companions stuff Sunday night. Just a heads up to those who are looking for these items.

Happy collecting,
burntwire

BTW, nice prices on most of Burnie's Companions stuff.  But $45 for Hareth?  $33 for Plague of Terror?  Wow! Does no one do any sort of searches before they bid? HikingViking has almost all the same stuff up for bid, at $10 and $20 BIN prices...and it's even mint in the shrink!!!  Check the word "Companions" under "Games" on Ebay and there are quite a few Companions items at decent prices; Hiking is a good guy, also, I've bought from him before. Good Luck!

Mike B.

Next