Indiegogo Barrowmaze Complete & Official Miniatures
Author

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:25 pm 

Featuring a fun sounding setting, chock full of undead, and an Erol Otus cover.  It just went live - check it out: Barrowmaze Complete & Official Miniatures by Otherworld | Indiegogo

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:46 pm 

Thanks to the OP.

Folks need to see the trailer for the campaign. I tried to embed it here, but it wouldn't work lol

Do you think we should push for Saturday morning syndication? :)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:35 pm 

Looks very cool - I'd love to give my DM the book/PDF. But the only way to get the stretch goal minis is to pony up $190? Not gonna happen, especially considering some of the minis aren't even original sculpts.

Perhaps you could offer a minis-only pledge level like Zach did for Whisper & Venom.

"We dwarves are natural sprinters. Very dangerous over short distances!"
My lead-centric blog: http://theleaddragon.blogspot.com/
Also known as soccer_dad66 on eBay.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:24 pm 

My project crosses borders in production. Compare apples to apples.

Also, all the prices include shipping to the US, UK, and Canada for both the book and the miniatures (posted separately and thus will minimize waiting).

Also, I'm only interested in doing miniatures if Otherworld is involved. They make, hands down, the best old school gaming miniatures in the world. It's just that simple.

So if you want quality miniatures, and you want Erol Otus, and Tim Truman, and the bells and whistles, then the price will reflect what you are getting. I don't half-arse my projects. Ask around.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:27 pm 

Quality or not the buy-in for the sweet spot physical level is just too high for my tastes.  The international shipping of course makes it uglier but what are you going to do.  $35 for a pdf only is pretty painful as well. Good luck with the campaign.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:29 am 

Nesbit, I understand. I am trying to make Barrowmaze a viable product for the longterm. There is a plan and a model in place.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:55 am 

I can't seem to find any examples of the publishers work online, and nothing of the quality of illustration or cartography. i can't really buy into something based on a cartoon without knowing the publisher publishes a quality product. There is a bug difference between any of the thousands of home published Lulu type products that come out every year, and the type of products I'd buy into. The likes of Frog God Games had a proven track record. We need to see pictures of a real product (past versions perhaps upon which this is based?) At the moment there is no way for an investor to see or touch a real product, go to a book store and look at a previous product, or anything. I can't bring myself to put faith in a cartoon on the premis that I might like a $35 PDF. And the map example on their website does not bode well for quality cartography. I've seen too many home computer D&D 'dungeons' with maps printed in Paint or Fantasy Cartographer, and never seen a good one yet.

I can't seen to find a review of past works where someone is willing to photograph the product and hold it us as an example of the company's publication quality. Has anyone bought previous versions, and can they post photos of the type of quality we can expect in this venture? The Kickstarter appears to be more about funding making miniatures than publishing a good dungeon crawl, and in a world where good quality miniatures are a dime a dozen and good dungeon crawls are less common, the linking of the two products without the possibility of buying/funding the dungeon seems to be a little odd.

As I have no need for more minis,  I can only hope the publisher sees fit to sell the book at a reasonable price and that they are willing to show prospective buyers what's inside it.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:16 am 

On the strength of Bryce's review here:

Barrowmaze | tenfootpole.org

I bought the author's volume 1 and 2 of Barrowmaze from his previous project.  They should arrive this week and if I like what I see, I'll back this.

I draw the line at collecting... D&D beach towels.

Shoulda been: ".. from Pangreenia to Floratopolis, from mystical Treeonia of spectral Forests to Schruborial dimensions." - The Forests of Leng

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:21 am 

Thunderdave wrote in Indiegogo Barrowmaze Complete & Official Miniatures:On the strength of Bryce's review here:

Barrowmaze | tenfootpole.org

I bought the author's volume 1 and 2 of Barrowmaze from his previous project.  They should arrive this week and if I like what I see, I'll back this.

Would very much like to see some photos if you get the chance.
Its something most reviewers never bother to post, or they just stick the cover up.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:12 pm 

Ian I give this one the big thumbs up.  The map is very nostalgic and classic "blue ink" form. Illustrations are quite good. The adventure itself, IMO, is brilliant in that it's both bare bones (most room descriptions are one line, maybe a paragraph) yet detailed enough to last for months and months of play.  My grandson and I have been playing it for over a year now and I'm quite impressed.  I'll try to post some pics if I get the chance.....

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:14 am 

The bare bones thing is one of the things I really liked about Judges Guild. Lets a DM work easier on the fly and pace the game much better than reading through blocks of text ever time you turn a corner. So that's a positive.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:53 am 

mbassoc2003 wrote in Indiegogo Barrowmaze Complete & Official Miniatures:The bare bones thing is one of the things I really liked about Judges Guild. Lets a DM work easier on the fly and pace the game much better than reading through blocks of text ever time you turn a corner. So that's a positive.

You'd love this one then...very much in that JG style of little description except for major areas of the crypts.  Some of the other things I like about it:  Multiple entrances into the barrows....the fact that since it's a tomb, the theme is very much undead and undead type stuff, instead of a typical "everything and the kitchen sink" approach of most megadungeons....resource management is important....fear effects and decreased rules for turning undead the more time you spend in the tomb...rules for sledgehammers and taking down bricked up corridors and rooms...new and interesting guardians and undead that aren't just ridiculous in powers and scope...the fact things aren't "leveled" as you travel through the tomb, one room might have 23 sp and the next might have a treasure worth 5000 GP, you might strike it rich in the next tomb or find nothing.

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:30 pm 

I think Barrowmaze is a cool, well-done work and I'm a supporter of this latest campaign. I would agree with much of what Mike says, with one minor, perhaps overly-technical quibble. When I think of a megadungeon, one of the defining characteristics is "everything and the kitchen sink" so that you can run an entire campaign there for years, enjoying the widest possible variety of monsters and environments. So, to me, Barrowmaze is more of a gigantic lair (of undead) than a megadungeon per se. Again, I still think it's a very good piece of work and I'm a supporter. I can't wait to make it the undead wing of my megadungeon and run my son through it when he gets a little older!  :D

Collector

Post Posted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:09 am 

There are quite a few photos of Barrowmaze 1 & 2 out there...

That's the map, the hardback BM2 and two illustration books (those are my drawings, so be nice :-))

Review: Untimately: Barrowmaze

And this one, which is a bit blurry:

Barrowmaze Complete will have new layout and design, so won't look exactly like this.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:03 pm 

Is this one level high?

The map looks good, not as 'homebrew' as some 'classic' blue white maps end up looking. A fair amount of visual variety that and not too much linear boxy rooms some dungeons suffer from, nor too much cave and cavern that's just a nightmare to explain or floorplan. So kudos on the map. Are there more levels, and if not, I understand there are many entrances, how are those affected? Holes in the ground that drop into rooms?

Illustration books look good. Personally. I'd prefer a stack of softcover, even stapled, books to a hardcover. I know anyone can publish a hardcover in China now that they are cheap as chips, and I know they look good longer on the shelf, but They are cumbersome to work with, and two or three or six 32/48 page softcovers in a box gives the customer a much greater sense of having bought into something, a greater sense of a whole package, than say a huge monstrous hardback like FGG's Slumbering Tsar or The World's Crappest Dungeon or whatever AEG they called that thing.

I've added I and II to my want list, probably in PDF initially, as the shipping generally kills these thing for non-US buyers.

Thanks for the photos. :D

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:52 pm 

This does look great. Think it'll be on the list for next month. Already used up my lunch money. The only thing I don't like in photo is the size of the map. Hard to have it behind the dm screen without being seen

Peter Green

It isn't easy being Green

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:51 am 

The problem with smaller pages is they tend to get that homebrew feel about them where you have to full the page up and every map is boxy and you can tell quite easily where you've missed a secret door because theres a hole in the map you know should be filled with room(s). Some publishers have managed to get away from that over the years and still keep their maps to a single page spread, but too many amateur works still go for the fill a sheet of graph paper look thinking it is in someway design inspired.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:31 pm 

I can see your point. Maybe more smaller maps nested on a page would work. In high school I got some giant graph paper and made a few adventures with it. Forget the size but was maybe around 20x20. Was great but a pain to hide. This dungeon looks easily cool enough for me to want.

It isn't easy being Green

Next