Illustrated Bestiary Kickstarter
Author

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:00 am 

Awhile back I asked some advice here on a project I was thinking of.  I appreciate the previous guidance, and mentioned I would post the project here if it came to fruition.  Well, today I launched the Kickstarter for it.  

You can find the project here:  

kickstarter.com/projects/caseysorrow/an ... -creatures

A couple images from it:

This is my first attempt at any such thing, I would obviously appreciate any support and/or feedback.   Thanks for checking it out!

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:26 am 

Can you give an example of a stat block?

WWW ICQ YIM  

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:35 am 

I am still deciding what will be used, but for certain:

Number Appearing:
Armor Class:
Move:
Hit Dice:
Alignment:
Attacks:
Damage:
Special Attacks:
Special Defense:
Size:

Based on some feedback, I may include:

Intelligence:
Initiative:
Face/Reach
Saves:
Abilities/Stats:
Skills:
Feats:
XP Value:

I am still writing it, so if there is something you want to see, please feel free to give me some feedback.  Thanks!

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:45 am 

squatront wrote in Illustrated Bestiary Kickstarter:I am still deciding what will be used, but for certain:

Number Appearing:
Armor Class:
Move:
Hit Dice:
Alignment:
Attacks:
Damage:
Special Attacks:
Special Defense:
Size:

Intelligence:
Initiative:
Face/Reach
Saves:
Abilities/Stats:
Skills:
Feats:
XP Value:

I am still writing it, so if there is something you want to see, please feel free to give me some feedback.  Thanks!

I want to see you have a firm vision for what the book is and how you're going to present it.

I think having one completely finished monster, illustration, description, stat blocks, and everything, laid out as it will be in the final book (or a prelim rough at least), along with saying what size the book would be at a minimum as far as number of pages and number of monsters plus the physical format (is that a picture of a digest-sized mockup or something smaller?), on the Kickstarter page would make that $1600 goal a slam dunk if it's even halfway decent.

But as it is, there's not a lot of information as to what we'd be getting for our $16 (or $26 in my case, living in Europe).

WWW ICQ YIM  

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:49 am 

Casey,

I really like the illustrations especially the last one with the poor elf with the brain creature on his back! I'm in! :)

Hello Mrs. Cleaver, Theodore.

Gee, Mrs. Cleaver ... That certainly is a lovely dress.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:58 am 

JimLotFP wrote in Illustrated Bestiary Kickstarter:
squatront wrote in Illustrated Bestiary Kickstarter:I am still deciding what will be used, but for certain:

Number Appearing:
Armor Class:
Move:
Hit Dice:
Alignment:
Attacks:
Damage:
Special Attacks:
Special Defense:
Size:

Intelligence:
Initiative:
Face/Reach
Saves:
Abilities/Stats:
Skills:
Feats:
XP Value:

I want to see you have a firm vision for what the book is and how you're going to present it.

I think having one completely finished monster, illustration, description, stat blocks, and everything, laid out as it will be in the final book (or a prelim rough at least), along with saying what size the book would be at a minimum as far as number of pages and number of monsters plus the physical format (is that a picture of a digest-sized mockup or something smaller?), on the Kickstarter page would make that $1600 goal a slam dunk if it's even halfway decent.

But as it is, there's not a lot of information as to what we'd be getting for our $16 (or $26 in my case, living in Europe).

I really wanted to get an example ready for launch, but I also wanted to get this launched during my time off for the holidays.  Hopefully I can get an example like you suggested for a project update.  But for now, as I am still writing, it is hard to say.  I  want to dedicate at minimum two pages per creature, 1-2 illustrations each, stats/description/background/etc.   I am estimating the book will have between 12-16 creatures by the time I get it together, and roughly anywhere from 24-36+ pages, 5.5x8.5 size.  But I am going to continue to add to it as long as time allows, so I didn't want to get into too much specifics yet.   That may have been the wrong approach, but we shall see.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:59 am 

smarmy1 wrote in Illustrated Bestiary Kickstarter:Casey,

I really like the illustrations especially the last one with the poor elf with the brain creature on his back! I'm in! :)

Thanks for the support!

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 11:34 am 

Number Appearing:
Armor Class:
Move:
Hit Dice:
Alignment:
Attacks:
Damage:
Special Attacks:
Special Defense:
Size:

Intelligence:
Initiative:
Face/Reach
Saves:
Abilities/Stats:
Skills:
Feats:
XP Value:

Your project looks very interesting. Count me in a little further down the road. Suggestions:

1. KEEP IT SIMPLE AND GET IT DONE
2. Refer to #1
3. I agree with Jim about posting a sample beast's completed listing. This will help your KS a lot.
4. I wouldn't add too much detail to each specific beast. Good GMs/DMs would prefer less and make up stuff. Also, more stats just boxes you into specific systems and you want to keep it as general as possible (e.g. skills and feats mean nothing to old schoolers)
5. I would suggest concentrating on making more beasts than detailing fewer beasts.
6. I like your old school drawings a lot.
7. Your book format look excellent. Look into using old school paper if $$ is available.
8. In the end, make some money. I assume you're for profit. Refer to #1.

Good luck.  PDT_Armataz_01_34

Hector.

Habent sua fata libelli 8)

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 12:21 pm 

Chucho68 wrote in Illustrated Bestiary Kickstarter:

Number Appearing:
Armor Class:
Move:
Hit Dice:
Alignment:
Attacks:
Damage:
Special Attacks:
Special Defense:
Size:

Intelligence:
Initiative:
Face/Reach
Saves:
Abilities/Stats:
Skills:
Feats:
XP Value:

Your project looks very interesting. Count me in a little further down the road. Suggestions:

1. KEEP IT SIMPLE AND GET IT DONE
2. Refer to #1
3. I agree with Jim about posting a sample beast's completed listing. This will help your KS a lot.
4. I wouldn't add too much detail to each specific beast. Good GMs/DMs would prefer less and make up stuff. Also, more stats just boxes you into specific systems and you want to keep it as general as possible (e.g. skills and feats mean nothing to old schoolers)
5. I would suggest concentrating on making more beasts than detailing fewer beasts.
6. I like your old school drawings a lot.
7. Your book format look excellent. Look into using old school paper if $$ is available.
8. In the end, make some money. I assume you're for profit. Refer to #1.

Good luck.  PDT_Armataz_01_34

Hector.

Thanks!

I agree with the stats, I want to keep it simple but based on some feedback (some) people wanted more.  I probably will keep it to the basics though.

I want to detail the beasts because that is the part I find interesting,  I want to leave more than a paragraph for each creature.   I don't plan on going nuts with description, but I want to thoroughly communicate my vision for each creature.  

What do you mean by old school paper?  When I went to the printer to get quotes, I took the Blackmoor supplement as the example of what I wanted to replicate for a cover.  All three printers were dumbfounded as to the textured cover.  The best I could get was a quote for heavy stock with a printed image replicating the texture.  So if you have any suggestions or leads as to what kind of paper should be used, or where to get it, I would be most appreciative!

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 6:11 pm 

squatront wrote in Illustrated Bestiary Kickstarter:
What do you mean by old school paper?  When I went to the printer to get quotes, I took the Blackmoor supplement as the example of what I wanted to replicate for a cover.  All three printers were dumbfounded as to the textured cover.  The best I could get was a quote for heavy stock with a printed image replicating the texture.  So if you have any suggestions or leads as to what kind of paper should be used, or where to get it, I would be most appreciative!

That's exactly what I meant. Old school 'feel' would, in my opinion, make it more interesting. I'm sorry I don't know anything about paper, but keep trying here; people are very helpful and knowledgeable.

But I must stress it's most important to get it under budget. Look and feel are cool, but losing money isn't. I am looking forward to further developments.

Hector.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 11:29 pm 

Cool art :!:  :chef:

I wouldn't think this stuff would be necessary:
Face/Reach
Saves:
Abilities/Stats:
Skills:
Feats:

Well, we land in barren fields
On the Arizona plains

Publisher of AFS Magazine, 'Pulp literature meets old school gaming'  Halls of Tizun Thane

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 12:10 am 

Scalydemon wrote in Illustrated Bestiary Kickstarter:Cool art :!:  :chef:

Face/Reach
Saves:
Abilities/Stats:
Skills:
Feats:

Only if you wish to market to the 3.5 / Pathfinder crowd. In case it would be necessary...   :)

What Frog God Games did, is that they offered a 1st Edition booklet, and a 3.5/Pathfinder booklet of the same type (and you got to choose which one you wanted). As long as you could settle the layout difference between the two, this is a viable option (Marketing to both groups of gamers).

RPG’s, D&D in particular has had a major influence in my life. It’s bonded me together with life long friends...it’s that bond in life not just as friends, but in our jokes, our mannerisms, and what we find funny. Invincible Overlord

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 4:08 am 

Looks cool. Really like the old style drawings. Always loved those about the early TSR books.  It's great to have new monsters for the campaign.  So often when running an encounter the experienced player at some point gets that 'Ah-ha' moment and knows what they're fighting.

I agree keep the monster info simple. Like the first MM.  Looking forward to the book, I'll back it soon.

Peter Green

It isn't easy being Green

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 9:55 am 

Face/Reach
Saves:
Abilities/Stats:
Skills:
Feats:

I agree.

Invincible Overlord wrote in Illustrated Bestiary Kickstarter:

Face/Reach
Saves:
Abilities/Stats:
Skills:
Feats:

Only if you wish to market to the 3.5 / Pathfinder crowd. In case it would be necessary...   :)

What Frog God Games did, is that they offered a 1st Edition booklet, and a 3.5/Pathfinder booklet of the same type (and you got to choose which one you wanted). As long as you could settle the layout difference between the two, this is a viable option (Marketing to both groups of gamers).

Interesting idea, but I will be happy to be able to get just the one published (1st edition).  

Chucho68 wrote in Illustrated Bestiary Kickstarter:
squatront wrote in Illustrated Bestiary Kickstarter:

That's exactly what I meant. Old school 'feel' would, in my opinion, make it more interesting. I'm sorry I don't know anything about paper, but keep trying here; people are very helpful and knowledgeable.

But I must stress it's most important to get it under budget. Look and feel are cool, but losing money isn't. I am looking forward to further developments.

Hector.

Still looking for paper solutions, if anyone has any leads I would love to research them.

Peter Green wrote in Illustrated Bestiary Kickstarter:Looks cool. Really like the old style drawings. Always loved those about the early TSR books.  It's great to have new monsters for the campaign.  So often when running an encounter the experienced player at some point gets that 'Ah-ha' moment and knows what they're fighting.

I agree keep the monster info simple. Like the first MM.  Looking forward to the book, I'll back it soon.

Peter Green

Thanks, that's exactly what I was thinking, giving something new and unknown to spice up campaigns.  FYI, I just posted a project update with an example of one of the creatures over at the project including what I planned for stats and descriptions:

An Illustrated Bestiary of Fantastic Creatures by Casey Sorrow » Creature Example and Stats — Kickstarter

Thanks again for all the feedback and support!  Happy holidays!

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:44 am 

Just backed this project.    

Martin

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 6:00 pm 

Just kicked it. Is that the cool way of saying I've given some money?  Or am I just a middle aged while guy trying to be cool.... Hmmmm.

Peter Green

It isn't easy being Green

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 7:29 pm 

Backed.

Casey: do not overthink the paper thing. Your drawings, layout, and book size give it an 'old school feel'. If you can make the cover a bit heavier paper-wise, you're golden.

Good luck!

Hector.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 7:43 pm 

Prufrock wrote in Illustrated Bestiary Kickstarter:Just backed this project.    

Martin

Thank you!

Peter Green wrote in Illustrated Bestiary Kickstarter:Just kicked it. Is that the cool way of saying I've given some money?  Or am I just a middle aged while guy trying to be cool.... Hmmmm.

Peter Green

Thank you!  (Aren't we all just middle aged men trying to be cool?)

Chucho68 wrote in Illustrated Bestiary Kickstarter:Backed.

Casey: do not overthink the paper thing. Your drawings, layout, and book size give it an 'old school feel'. If you can make the cover a bit heavier paper-wise, you're golden.

Good luck!

Hector.

Aaaaand thank you!  I'm not too focused on the paper, I expect to end up with a heavy stock, but how cool would it be if I could track down some weird old paper source?!?  Looks like I've got a good head start so far, thanks again for everyone kicking in!

Next