D&D Module Artwork
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:25 pm 

Hi everyone, so me and my brother were looking at some old tsr monochrome modules and he came up with the idea of remaking the cover artwork of these modules in his own style. So the questions I'm asking are: Would anyone be interested if these original b&w pieces were to be sold? Would he be breaking any copyright laws?
His name is Nathan Nada and he has done some work for various companies and some of the cover artwork for Bill Barsh's Pacesetter Games early covers.

YIM  

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:57 pm 

On the copyright question, what do you mean by remake?  Do you mean recreate a 1 to 1 copy or some variation on them, then I would see Rogers vs. Koons ( The Artist's Rights ) and realize that without permission it is likely not going to pass the sniff test for fair use.  Whether you would get sued or have a moral problem with it all is another issue.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:41 am 

Yeah, I'm sure it's not going to be an exact copy, more of his own interpretation and style of the scene. Either way, I think that's why I was curious to hear what people think, not trying to piss anyone off. I guess I'll post a pic when he's done.

YIM  

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:41 am 

BNagata wrote in D&D Module Artwork:Yeah, I'm sure it's not going to be an exact copy, more of his own interpretation and style of the scene. Either way, I think that's why I was curious to hear what people think, not trying to piss anyone off. I guess I'll post a pic when he's done.

If you're going to do a one-off I don't think you'd face any serious legal issues.

Now if you start making prints of them and selling them....   :wink:

RPG’s, D&D in particular has had a major influence in my life. It’s bonded me together with life long friends...it’s that bond in life not just as friends, but in our jokes, our mannerisms, and what we find funny. Invincible Overlord

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:11 am 

If its some of the artwork by Jeff Dee then he is already remaking his own work.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:13 pm 

Not really into getting sued by anyone, or being in a position to get sued. He's still going to draw them, not to make any prints. Probably just post them here, I'll keep the art, doesn't seem like much interest in the idea anyways.

YIM  

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 5:32 pm 

Kevin Mayle did a whole series of his interpretations of TSR artwork. I don't think he had any problems but you could ask him.
He is a member here although I don't think he has posted in a while.

See this thread for examples of his work:
D&D Art Collecting Help • Page 4 • Collecting General •  The Acaeum

Zenopus Archives website & blog: Exploring the Underworld of Holmes Basic D&D. Holmes Ref: Reference Sheets for Holmes Basic Referees, also compatible with OD&D plus the Greyhawk supplement

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:11 pm 

Might be worth researching what Kenzer & Co went through to publish these Hackmaster covers, for instance:

Hackmaster: Official Player's Handbook: The Hackmaster Development Team: 9781889182360: Amazon.com: Books

The Temple of Existential Evil: Brian Jelke, Paul Glozeris: 9781594590047: Amazon.com: Books

HackMaster Basic RPG: Jolly R. Blackburn, David Kenzer, Mark Plemmons, Steve Johansson, Jennifer Kenzer: 9781594591037: Amazon.com: Books

Gawds & Demi-gawds: Jolly R. Blackburn, Jelke, Johansson, Kenzer, Morgan: 9781889182988: Amazon.com: Books

You could also ask one of the artists if he might remember any issues/approvals they needed as well. He was just selling some of his original art on ebay not that long ago. His name is Mark Kidwell
** eBay auction listing blocked.  Please enable cookies in your browser for this site and for eBay! **

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:22 am 

For everyone's information...Nathan (Nada) did the cover for my adventure "Forge of the Fomorian Smith Lord"...the G6 in my extended giant series (G4 to G9). And it was/is, IMO, an exceptional piece of art.

I would love to see some more of his stuff on some OS adventures. So, if any of you module writers out there are looking for some good artwork, I highly recommend him.

"Here's to swimmin with bowl-legged wimin"

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:57 am 

That cover is nice just looked at it on your lulu store. I have more than a few module ideas. But it's always easier starting than finishing an idea.

It isn't easy being Green

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:46 am 

Nathan's work is fantastic. You can find plenty of it in my first four modules - T1 The Thing in the Valley, Q1 The Screaming Temple, Q2 Eruptor's Vengeance and TM1 The Lost Caravan. Nathan is re-working some other covers and going four color on them as well as some new projects! In fact, I need to get him a list asap...! Highest recommendation!

Here is the cover art for the upcoming DCC adventure:

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:52 pm 

For everyone's general information--I just negotiated a deal with Nathan to produce a cover for my upcoming Expert (as in BECMI) adventure: The Forbidden Forest. And, I am having him do a reworking of a particular piece of art that is, very likely, known to many of you; we are planning it to be different enough to avoid IP issues, yet similar enough that those familiar with the original will notice the...resemblance. It is our intention to capture the same spirit as the original game box did with its man on rearing horse illustration.

That's all I can say at present.

"Here's to swimmin with bowl-legged wimin"