RE: Ernie Gygax Mini-Modules Publication & Fund-raiser
Poll: What kind of Mini-module publication(s) would you prefer?

A photo-copied compilation. 6%       6%  [ 1 ]
A photo-copied compilation & a transcribed/maps redrawn publication (little editing). 0%       0%  [ 0 ]
A photo-copied compilation & a thorough editing & improved publication (lots of editing) 22%       22%  [ 4 ]
A transcribed/maps redrawn publication (little editing). 0%       0%  [ 0 ]
A thorough editing and improved publication (extensive editing). 44%       44%  [ 8 ]
Each adventure/module in separate publication. 6%       6%  [ 1 ]
Each adventure/module in separate publications and a photo-copied compilation. 6%       6%  [ 1 ]
This project does not interest me at all. 17%       17%  [ 3 ]
This project interests me, but I will or can not support it. 0%       0%  [ 0 ]
Something else not listed here. 0%       0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 18

Author

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:39 am 

I am guessing most all of you saw the items for sale by lordan in the Classifieds section which included three mini-modules written by Ernie Gygax.  They were; Lair of the Hill Giant Raiders, NEXUS OF THE ELEMENTAL PLANES, and The Red Sewers.  Each of these high-level adventures sounded interesting to me from both a historical and conceptual standpoint.  

It came to me that we have a nexus of opportunity here for the Acaeum community and Ernie Gygax with these adventures.  I propose someone publish these three adventures, make them limited editions, and give all the profit to Ernie since he recently lost his house in a fire.  This community loves LE stuff and loves helping out a fellow gamer, especially someone like Ernie.  I am guessing Pacesetter Games would be interested in publishing these, for example.   And if Ernie's permission is required, I think he'd support anything that supported him.

I ran this idea by lordan, and he said he was open to the idea.  I think with a small committee of editors, a few donations of art by people within this community, we could create something special.  The poll can help us determine the basic scope and size of the document(s) which would be created.  Personally, I would lean toward all three adventures published within one document, carefully edited and expanded where necessary.  These mini-modules sound like they are the bare bones of an adventure requiring some stat boxes, wandering monster tables, per-generated party lists, and legal disclaimers for example.  Add in a little art, some better drawn maps, and an intro by Ernie, and we would have a publication we could all be proud of.  Each would be numbered and Ernie may be even willing to sign each one.

I would think a well-done publication of these three adventures would be about twenty pages and could command a price point of $30.00 or more.  If 100 such publications were sold with a $10.00 profit per item, that would result in a $1,000.00 for our fellow gamer Ernie.  Even if we only have 50 takers, that's still $500.00 and nothing to be ashamed of.

This all assumes we can come to some kind of consensus on what should be done and whether or not we can find contributors and a publisher.  This also assumes Ernie goes along.  So, let the discussion and polling begin and maybe we figure something out which works for most people.  

So, please comment, and if you are interested in purchasing something like this, indicate the number of copies you would want if the project unfolds like you hope.  No one's statement of interest will be construed as a firm commitment at this time.  Once this thread has matured and clarified, we'll create a thread where people can state their firm interest IF there is enough unified interest.  8)

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:05 am 

This would be an interesting project, and considering the amount of original materials and the fact they are accessible it would be a shame to not include surrogates of the originals in any re-worked module.  Why omit the historical bits when you can include them?

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:23 pm 

I will be honest, I do not find these items very interesting and certainly they are  not historic.  Home brew room lists quickly made up for a short event at a store in lake Geneva. Sorry somebody had to say it   :)

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:28 pm 

nesbit37 wrote in RE: Ernie Gygax Mini-Modules Publication & Fund-raiser:This would be an interesting project, and considering the amount of original materials and the fact they are accessible it would be a shame to not include surrogates of the originals in any re-worked module.  Why omit the historical bits when you can include them?

Agreed:  if we follow the model from Bottle City or Bill's or Doug's Wee Warrior reprints, the adventures can include the original facsimile reproductions, as well as a transcribed/developed/edited version too, if that's warranted from the material.

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:42 pm 

I like the combo approach, the original item with a derivitive, fleshed-out scenerio, like the PoVQ treatment.

As long as it's not too much money, I'd happily buy a set or two, especially for the cause.

I draw the line at collecting... D&D Towels.

Did we need: Jade Magi Sewer Crawl

Shoulda been: ".. from Pangreenia to Floratopolis, from mystical Treeonia of spectral Forests to Schruborial dimensions."  - The Forests of Leng

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:27 pm 

Blackmoor wrote in RE: Ernie Gygax Mini-Modules Publication & Fund-raiser:I will be honest, I do not find these items very interesting and certainly they are  not historic.  Home brew room lists quickly made up for a short event at a store in lake Geneva. Sorry somebody had to say it   :)

Yeah but there is lots of stuff like that out there at the moment. Most of it is vanity publishing with delusions of grandeur but there is clearly a market for it.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 5:51 pm 

I largely agree with Blackmoor's views.  That being said, I would pick up a copy or two if it were reworked as Bill did with PotVQ.  I probably wouldn't purchase a photocopy of Ernie's notes and map, other than at a nominal price (which wouldn't satisfy the purpose of the whole project).  But a full reworking would require quite a bit of effort, by someone with talents I certainly don't possess.  If someone is willing to undertake that for Ernie, that would be great.

"Parturient montes, nascetur ridiculus mus."

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:42 pm 

Getting Ernie to flesh-out and add a forward I think would be the way to go. Having someone else add to these a think would be tragic. A cheap printing with just cover art and a minimal printing cost to keep prices down would give a higher profit for Ernie. I am sure we could get Jeff Easley or even Diesel to do a black and white cover drawing.

Available now from Die Cast Games: Night of the Black Swords by Allen Hammack (Author of C2-The Ghost Tower of Inverness) with artwork by Jeff Easley and Diesel.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:05 pm 

Hi,
I figured I should chime in....

Anyone here or in rec.games.frp.marketplace since about 1996 knows me as a collector...but I have been well out of the game since 08....

At first I was honestly was like "eh... no..."... but then I sat on it for 24 hours and thought about what Gary did for my son when my son was in third grade... a full interview...Albeit email (Frank got the ball rolling) ... so that my son could do a "show and tell" of my wood grain... tourney C1 and 2's and other things explaining the game and how he was inspired... My son was so happy for that opportunity and as a 16 year old...still talks about it....so if I could help his son...ya an adult, yes...well sure why not..

I will let whomever do what ever they want to it and offer it how they feel it will best serve Ernie... I want nothing in return. I actually did take the Nexus and make a 20 page module with redone maps...and card-stock cover for a group of 10 of us that get together in the Appalachians each year and play all weekend and drink in the mountains...

The only contribution I would like is to do one piece of interior art... the Jamie Lanister avatar is a piece of mine..fyi

So, I guess...enjoy it  for what it is.... something you have no care about.....or maybe a simple gesture that can help out someone... me, I just want to add some art and repay a kind gesture :)

Regards,
Matt

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:24 pm 

Bracton wrote in RE: Ernie Gygax Mini-Modules Publication & Fund-raiser:I largely agree with Blackmoor's views.  That being said, I would pick up a copy or two if it were reworked as Bill did with PotVQ.  I probably wouldn't purchase a photocopy of Ernie's notes and map, other than at a nominal price (which wouldn't satisfy the purpose of the whole project).  But a full reworking would require quite a bit of effort, by someone with talents I certainly don't possess.  If someone is willing to undertake that for Ernie, that would be great.

Ditto  8)

"Okay, we turn the corner and see a Purple 'WHAT' !?!" . . (the DM rolls a 20 or so he says) . . It all went black right after that.

[email protected]

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:42 pm 

Funds permitting, this interests me. My sentiments have pretty much already been said by. Bracton and Burntwire. A well presented but faithful representation of the original, by the author, would be my preferred choice. Any 'interpretation' by a third party, however carefully done (with the possible exception of one or two noted, but not so young, authors who may or may not have actually partaken in said adventuring), would likely result in a poorly written pastiche piece, fluffy at best. Take care in the writing and presentation, and you might turn out something good.

Just my 2c.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . chicken and wild rice soup.