Recommend me some minis
Author

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 3:08 pm 

Not that I'm in a financial position to pick up much anytime soon, but that doesn't mean I can't plan ahead.  :wink:

Metal preferred, but if I have to resort to plastic... 25mm scale. Not looking for entire armies, just enough for encounters with PCs. For armies I've decided to go with 6mm. The mass effect can't be beat by 25/28mm.  :D

The immediate thoughts are for a human kingdom resembling early Plantagenet/Crusader armies. Mostly mail armor, with military order knights. Ral Partha did some historicals BITD, but they're showing their age, rather uninspiring, though not really poor sculpts. Thunderbolt Mountain has some great stuff. Pricey, though. And nothing new being produced, so no crusader-types, and I don't think I can get crossbows without the accompanying horsed figure. Essex has some more interesting sculpts than RP, the Templars/Hospitallers look decent enough to fill that void. OldGloryUK has stuff, but pics are hard to come by, so I have no way to tell if they would be suitable. That's all I can come up with in 25mm. Lotsa options in 28.

All in all, it's likely going to be a mix.

The more difficult part will be the elves. For the campaign, I'm using elves that resemble humans, so no pointy ears (faeries have those). No beards still preferred, though I'm not fixated on that. I'm still looking for an 'older world' pseudo-celtic vibe in dress (they have druids after all). So, more Tuatha de Danaan and less 'don't we look cool in our conehelms and uber-decorative armour?' Scale or mail (not full hauberks except possibly for 'fay knight' types). I was looking at Games Workshop's LotR line which are 25mm, and came across the figs for the Riders of Rohan, which are quite appealing. See HERE. Right mix of weapons, good look for the armor, nice poses, seem to have a good vibe for the overall look.

Anyway, all I've got for now. Anyone know of some good minis to fill the spots I should know about?

Art of dragons doing what dragons do. Site of a friend. Dragonstuff

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 4:10 pm 

Off the top of my head, here's a few suggestions. Not sure if anything meets your criteria exactly, but hopefully I'm close. I'll have to keep poking around some more, see if I can dig up anything else.

Tre Manor's Red Box Games
News : Red-Box-Games.com

Valdemar Minis:
Valdemar Miniatures -the best 1/72 scale miniatures on the market...

West Wind Minis:
West Wind Productions

Reaper DHL Army Packs:
Reaper Miniatures :: Miniatures

Human archers:

Human w/crossbow:

Reaper Warlord (slotta based) Army Packs:

"We dwarves are natural sprinters. Very dangerous over short distances!"
My lead-centric blog: http://theleaddragon.blogspot.com/
Also known as soccer_dad66 on eBay.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 5:37 pm 

These are not 25mm, but if this is anything like Reaper's last kickstarter, it will be a good deal.  And this starts in about 2 days!

Reaper Miniatures :: News

It should be noted that this coming from a guy who has a 25mm almost all metal mini collection.  I love my collection, but metal has some limitations.  Bones require no priming, weight less, and handle being dropped without a problem.  They are slightly bulkier/bigger, but they look just fine when painted.  And here's the best part, IF this is a deal anything like the first go, you can probably sell your lot on eBay for a profit.  I not only sold mine for a profit, but I was able to keep some of the add ons essentially for free.  It is like you can try before you buy.   8)

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:25 pm 

The problem with most 28mm stuff I come across is that they're much too anime/uber-decorative/completely off-the-wall. I'd prefer adventurers that look like adventurers. Red Box and Otherworld are certainly headed in the right direction. Lotsa good stuff happening there I'm happy to see. Reaper Dark Heaven has a few diamonds in the rough, but just a few. There's a lot of good stuff out there in 28mm historicals, though. Then there's the whole scale thing. They just don't match up with most 25mm.

And... need moar hobbits! I still have yet to come across any suitable hobbit minis in 28mm. The old Grenadier Gold Box ones can't be beat stylistically. Those guys are hobbits! Not the short humans that they call halflings nowadays.  :wink:

I'm not completely against using 28mm in the right places. Some monsters it won't matter if they are 25 or 28mm. Just a matter of using the right fig for the effect. Two humans that are supposed to be 6' tall should look that side-by-side.

Yeah, I know, good luck with that!  :lol:

TollHouse: Thanks for the heads-up on the Valdemar Minis. Those guys look absolutely jaw-droppingly fantastic!  8O  8O  Do you have any to check the scale? They alternately say 1:72 (22mm-ish) or 25mm scale on their site. How are they top of base to eye? By comparison, I have a few Thunderbolt Mountain which measure exactly 25mm toe-to-eye.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:42 pm 

Toad, I wish I had some for comparison, but I don't - they have been on my to-do list for a while now, I just haven't got around to buying some. I just remember seeing them somewhere (Lead Adventure Forums perhaps) and thinking to myself, those look awesome!

"We dwarves are natural sprinters. Very dangerous over short distances!"
My lead-centric blog: http://theleaddragon.blogspot.com/
Also known as soccer_dad66 on eBay.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 12:10 am 

Plastic Soldier Review has some of Valdemar's line listed. It's really hard to verify, but it appears PSR uses a toe-to-eye system for their scale listings, and at least some of the Valdemar are shown as 25mm, which would be good news. Others are typical 1:72 (22-23mm). Not many reviews are available, though. (compared to the full line, that is)

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:00 am 

SimperingToad wrote in Recommend me some minis:TollHouse: Thanks for the heads-up on the Valdemar Minis. Those guys look absolutely jaw-droppingly fantastic!  8O  8O  Do you have any to check the scale? They alternately say 1:72 (22mm-ish) or 25mm scale on their site. How are they top of base to eye?

If you ask this question in the Dragonsfoot miniatures section, you should get a helpful answer.   8)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:14 am 

Simpering Toad,

Many folks have listed some great companies, so I'll add one:

Mega Miniatures (http://freeboardgamesnow.com/)

They have a decent line of metal monsters, many are cost effective - they have creatures that are hard to find like giant ants, scorpions, and spiders.  Very cool stuff.

~throwi

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:30 am 

throwi wrote in Recommend me some minis:Mega Miniatures (http://freeboardgamesnow.com/)

BUT, they are closing for good on Tuesday October 29th, 2013 at 10:00 PM EST.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:51 pm 

benjoshua wrote in Recommend me some minis:
throwi wrote in Recommend me some minis:Mega Miniatures (http://freeboardgamesnow.com/)

BUT, they've sold their molds to other business so you can still buy them.  (see the home page for details)

~throwi

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:18 pm 

throwi wrote in Recommend me some minis:

BUT, they've sold their molds to other business so you can still buy them.  (see the home page for details)

~throwi

BUT, they've been sold to about ten different manufacturers, so you can't buy everything you want from the same place.   :?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:04 am 

throwi wrote in Recommend me some minis:

~throwi

BUT, they've been sold to about ten different manufacturers, so you can't buy everything you want from the same place.   :?

Fair enough.  If you're looking for a particular monster however, this *may* be a viable route.  For example, I needed several giant ants for a scenario and these fit the bill.

~throwi

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:21 pm 

I think I'll but out of that.  :D

Yeah, I heard about the MegaMinis breakup.  :(

On a related note for all you mini collectors/users out there, I came across a batch of Varangian Guard metals from Crusader minis. While billed as 28mm, they measure about 25mm toe-to-eye, which match well with much of the old 25mm from days of yore; Grenadier, Heritage, RP. It struck me as I was checking how many of the olden minis are larger then TtE measured 25mm scale. Even the official AD&D minis from Citadel seem 28mm scale (not surprising really). Anyway, not bad sculpts at all. Detailed enougn to be interesting, but not uberly so like GW stuff.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:51 am 

Toad, for your human kingdom, check out Foundry.

28mm model soldiers for gamers and collectors: Wargames Foundry miniatures

It was founded by Bryan Ansell after he left Citadel (Games Workshop) and he took lots of the 'historical' sculpts Citadel produced, mainly sculpted by the Perry Twins (who currently sculpt the lord of the Rings range for GW).

The Barons' Wars range is probably the closest to your time period:

Wargames Foundry :: Early Medieval Knight Collection - BCMED001

They also do Vikings, normans, saxons

Wargames Foundry :: The 1066 (And All That) Collection - BCVNS001

Wargames Foundry :: The Normans Collection - BCVNS002

All early citadel. (So proper 25mm)

Have a look at 100 years War as well.

Now that brings me on to the Perrys.

The Perry twins have their own miniature company for historicals.
Perry Miniatures

These include early crusaders.

Crusaders, Perry Miniatures

These will all be compatible with the Foundry/early Citadel miniatures as they are sculpted by the same guys.

For elves, these figures above will also be compatible wih the GW Lord of the rings line so you could use those.

I personally like tre's Red box games elves.
Aelfar : Red-Box-Games.com

As to monsters, you cannot beat Otherworld miniatures.
Products | Otherworld Miniatures

A lot of the sculpts are inspired by the monster manuals.