LotFP
Author

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:48 am 

Guy Fullerton wrote in LotFP:Death Frost Doom 2nd printing was 100 copies:
Death Frost Doom "Second Printing" (Page 1) - LotFP Gaming Forum - Lamentations of the Flame Princess
...somebody with the second printing ought to be able to corroborate this via the back cover

Random Esoteric Creature Generator sold "a little over 20 copies":
LotFP: RPG: A Tale of Courageous Hobbits and Dead Wives

I was under the impression that the original Fantasy F*cking Vietnam sold far fewer than 100 copies. This says 10:
LotFP: RPG: What the OSR Needs

FFV had more than 10 copies. I had 10 copies sent to me, so I'd imagine more like 100.
I also had 10 copies of RECG, so I suspect 20 copies is not right.
If it's JER that's confirming quantities, PM me.

Is the Google Doc the most up-to-date list of LotFP products?
I'm trying to find the gaps in my PDF collection.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:40 am 

mbassoc2003 wrote in LotFP:FFV had more than 10 copies.

Maybe it's intended in a poetic sense, like the Brian Eno quote, “The first Velvet Underground album only sold 10,000 copies, but everyone who bought it formed a band.”

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 12:31 pm 

Was Eldritch C@k released in a printing other than the Free RPG giveaway?

For example a Kickstarter or contributor printing?

I draw the line at collecting... D&D beach towels.

Shoulda been: ".. from Pangreenia to Floratopolis, from mystical Treeonia of spectral Forests to Schruborial dimensions." - The Forests of Leng

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 2:09 pm 

The spreadsheet on GoogleDocs alludes to there being two prints, although ostensibly both 1st printing, one available to pre-orderers having an additional magic item.
I have neither so cannot comment, although a PDF is available of RPGDriveThru.

>Edit<  My bad... It's in the wild for anyone who can use Google, as apparently is almost everything they've ever published.  8O

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 8:07 am 

Thunderdave wrote in LotFP:Was Eldritch C@k released in a printing other than the Free RPG giveaway?

For example a Kickstarter or contributor printing?

There was a contributor option for a version that included a custom illustration by artist Rosi Kämpe drawn directly into the book.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 6:23 pm 

Just watched a Raggi interview in which he states that The Random Esoteric Creature Generator was the first published item.
As I recall, RECG shipped along with FFV. I think they were a sweetener for those who had already early to buy LotFP, but he lists FFV and RECG as 2008 publication and LotFP as 2010.
That time gap seems a fair bit longer than I recall, and based on the numbering of the copies I received, I was in early doors. So maybe the publication dates are wrong on the spreadsheet in Google Docs.

ImageImage

Incidentally, other than a few layout and typesetting changes, FFV was reprinted as Green Devil Face Issue #1
The Random Esoteric Creature Generator was cleaned up, expanded upon and republished by Goodman Games under the same title.

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 7:21 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote in LotFP:Just watched a Raggi interview in which he states that The Random Esoteric Creature Generator was the first published item.
As I recall, RECG shipped along with FFV. I think they were a sweetener for those who had already early to buy LotFP, but he lists FFV and RECG as 2008 publication and LotFP as 2010.
That time gap seems a fair bit longer than I recall, and based on the numbering of the copies I received, I was in early doors. So maybe the publication dates are wrong on the spreadsheet in Google Docs.

James is right.  The FFV and RECG as 2008 were the first products given to those who signed up for the Insect Shrine of Goblin Hill. (I have the saved emails and I was the first paid order back in 2006)  Course I also posted on here for others to get involved with that module around that time.  Without posting the emails - basically the RECG came out in spring (April) and FFV in November of 2008. Other things were offered at a discount in the next year - with The Grinding Gear being another freebie sent in Nov 2009.  Then came the July 2010 email with this about LotFP Weird Fantasy Role-Playing box set:

These will be going for 50€, shipping included. But you guys have been
waiting and waiting and I did commit to sending you all my releases
until Insect Shrine comes out, but at this point it's getting expensive.
;)

So here are three options on how to handle this.

A: You'll take a copy of the LotFP Weird Fantasy Role-Playing box set, 1
per copy of Insect Shrine you pre-ordered. Accepting this option will
mean you agree that my commitment to you has been met through this
alternate product.
B: You're still really wanting to wait for Insect Shrine. I intend to
have it out in the fall... Really, this time. Picking this option means
you agree to forego and freebies from now until Insect Shrine comes out.
C: You're sick of all this and just want a refund. I'll refund 12€ per
copy you pre-ordered so you're not even out any Paypal charges on the
deal.

Let me know which option you choose, and if you choose Option A, I need
a current mailing address. These will start mailing out July 26.

I took the box set deal and I believe I posted that the insect shrin actually made it in part or whole in another book eventually. So there you go. Why I kept these emails for so long I don't know - but I've got them for reference.

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 12:36 am 

Thanks Shane, very interesting! I was not into lotfp in the early days of Raggi and didnt follow him.
Now, a question is more than legit: what is the insect shrine project? I have never heard about it and it didnt come out...

Thanks and ciaooo

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 3:59 am 

Was insect shrine ever published? Can't seem to track down a photo on Google.
I'm assuming I got these that way too, early buyer for LotFP. And I recall Grinding Gear and Vornheim, but I don't remember Insect Shrine.

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:39 am 

Insect Shrine of Goblin Hill I think made its way into the Better Than Any Man book, least parts of it.  Never was published on its own thus all the free and discounted items over the 4 years it was taking.

ShaneG.

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:46 am 

web.archive.org/web/20061124004558/http ... review.pdf

Nothing leaves the internet!

ShaneG.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 7:52 am 

Well, the guy certainly made a name for himself in the publishing scene for the time he was publishing.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 11:57 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote in LotFP:Well, the guy certainly made a name for himself in the publishing scene for the time he was publishing.

LotFP was always of high production quality and the content was distinctive. Hitched his wagon to the wrong horse.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 4:16 am 

Grug Greyskin wrote in LotFP:Hitched his wagon to the wrong horse.

So what happened?
People will always buy good production quality if they perceive value. Did the buyers move away from the heavy metal horror and the weird gothic noir?
A lot of the independent writers and artists seem to still be involved in independent or small collaborative projects, but I suppose those have smaller print runs and far less revenue is generated.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 11:01 am 

mbassoc2003 wrote in LotFP:So what happened?
People will always buy good production quality if they perceive value. Did the buyers move away from the heavy metal horror and the weird gothic noir?
A lot of the independent writers and artists seem to still be involved in independent or small collaborative projects, but I suppose those have smaller print runs and far less revenue is generated.

He collaborated with a prominent artist who was accused of sexual assault. While he ended the professional relationship, he defended the artist publicly, combine that with the fact that LotFP's products are pretty edgy to begin with (and contain some degree of violence against women in both artwork and writing), and he lost his audience rather quickly.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 11:07 am 

Wow. I should go read up. Got any pointers (no link though). I'll try Google to begin with.
The thing is the guy knows how to run a publisher. Knows the difference between a quality product and types of sh!t some some of the publishers put out. So you'd figure he (Raggi) would be eminently employable in the industry. Of course a lot of it is US centric, but these days that shouldn't be a deal breaker.

Lol. No need. I took a blind stab that it was Zak and I got hits.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 8:05 am 

New info on FFV....

I must have been sent a PDF release of FFV, because the image above is a screen dump from the PDF I have, and it is not the same as the printing in Green Devil Face #1, which is also single column. But also, if you look at the digest issue of FFV, it has been condensed down to two column printing in order to reduce the page count and printing cost. The only page that is the same between the PDF I have and the hardcopy is the map on page 2 of the hardcopy which appears on page 21 of the PDF.

So FFV has an initial public release (two column and numbered on the back page), a PDF which is different and dated (22nd November 2008), and then a reprint in Green Devil Face.
I haven't had the chance to do a word for word check over the three to see if typos etc. give a clue to publication sequence, but I imagine my PDF sits in the middle between the two as a transition document during the process of reimaging FFV as GDF#1. However, if I can find typos in the PDF that were correct in FFV 1st Issue that that would place the PDF as a Pre-pub document, although that wouldn't tally with the date stamp on the file, which I'm assuming is James' created date, rather than my initial received date.

On the ZakS thing. Am I right in understanding ZakS was accused, then the whole US Cancel Culture machine kicked in with companies running to hide just in case people thought they were promoting such things (including RPGDriveThru and LotFP), and then at some point JERIII said, 'Enough is enough, I won't work with him but I'm not going to exclude him on Facebook so long as he behaves and doesn't talk about it." That effectively being the death knell for LotFP because he wouldn't back the Cancel Culture Vultures. Was there ever a case? Was there ever any evidence? Or was this just left wing millennial snowflakes doing what left wing snowflakes do. Acting like ar$eholes. I've dug and I cannot find any evidence that any of this is anything other than mass hysteria and slander (and an admission of guilt and a payment appear to have been made to ZakS for just that.) Anyways, seems LotFP did not understand that when children (under 25s who have not grown up yet) say to hate you must hate or lose your livelihood. He did not understand fascism. I'm sure he does now.

It'll be interesting to see where JERIII resurfaces.

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:48 am 

My PDF was sent in an email dated Nov 18th just so you know.

Email message received with that:
'allo!

Most receiving this email are Insect Shrine pre-orderers, but a couple
of you are just People I Want to Send FFV to.

Your FFV hard-copies are already in the mail. Don't open the envelope
from Finland around someone you don't want to see one naughty word. Or
this wmail and attachment, actually. Darn middle F. I didn't invent the
phrase though. So I'm a blameless little angel in this whole thing.
Yeah.

Anyway, here's the PDF version. Enjoy the farce, and maybe enjoy a good
gaming idea or three. :D The next thing will be serious and more usable
out-of-the-box (don't think it'll be Insect Shrine, but that depends on
Ms. Jalo).

ShaneG.

PreviousNext