LotFP
Author

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:42 pm 

sr2joker wrote in LotFP:I am having a hard time hunting down a red dice set from the referee book indiegogo. Would be obliged for any leads or for a conversation if anybody is looking to sell one. Dang things have been evading me hard.
It doesn't help you any, but JR offered to sell these to me at a con a few years back. I have *no idea* why I declined.

Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:49 pm 

vosarnath wrote in LotFP:It doesn't help you any, but JR offered to sell these to me at a con a few years back. I have *no idea* why I declined.

Ah shoot. That would have been an awesome opportunity. I actually managed to find a set a while ago, but it was incomplete. It was missing two of the Duvan'Ku dice. I am interested in the black d6s also, but they definitely don't come up often.

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:06 am 

Nice looking deluxe set:

** expired/removed eBay auction **

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:22 am 

Four new book releases and two special slipcovers are available from Lamentations of the Flame Princess starting today  If you order all four books, the first 200 orders qualify for a special rewards book.  Three of the books are available in the US-based store; however, to be eligible for the special rewards book, you will need to order from the EU store.  Also, if you order all four books, you are eligible for free shipping if you use the coupon code, WEIRD.

Here are the details on LotFP's blog:

LotFP: RPG

Hello Mrs. Cleaver, Theodore.

Gee, Mrs. Cleaver ... That certainly is a lovely dress.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:01 pm 

smarmy1 wrote in LotFP:Here are the details on LotFP's blog:

LotFP: RPG

What I found interesting was the news at the end of the release that LotFP is in big financial trouble and may close up if sales don't pick up.   :?

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:06 pm 

Quite sad, and probably the case for many publishers right now.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:51 pm 

benjoshua wrote in LotFP:big financial trouble

The figures it gives are "45,000€ in 2018 to 3,500€ in 2019." So the big drop is not a result of current conditions, but something in the past. What happened between 2018 & 2019?

"...we had some Official LotFP Buckets made" There are plastic LotFP puke buckets for sale? How could their market possibly be dropping?

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:09 pm 

sauromatian wrote in LotFP: How could their market possibly be dropping?

Hard to believe, but this is some of what they're saying:

The tldr is we're about 90,000€ in debt, 60,000€ of which is due in about a month or we're done. And we have so much more to do.

So if you want LotFP to continue, you need to buy something, preferably a lot of somethings, and very soon, when the new books go on sale. If you don't want LotFP to continue, you don't have to do anything. You're good.

Whether it's true or not, I don't know.   :?

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:34 am 

I stopped collecting due to James Raggi's behaviour in 2018... I don't think to be a single case, however there will likely be now. I feel totally unfair to revert the burden of LotFP on collectors' shoulders: 200 euro for a 64-page book with bookcase (if i am not wrong) is simply unfair.
...and there is a referee book kickstarted years ago which will never see the light despite the yearly email James sends in order to promise it the following year... (Does this sound similar to a local case here?!)

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:50 am 

Oh right...that. I'm still hopeful about seeing LotFP buckets for sale at my local game store. The best way to use it would be to go to some public place while loudly appearing to puke into it. Then survey passers-by on what they thought "Lamentations of the Flame Princess" is supposed to mean.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:29 am 

The big drop off in sales revenue was primarily due to losing his big cash cow author (Zak).

Well, we land in barren fields
On the Arizona plains

Publisher of AFS Magazine, 'Pulp literature meets old school gaming'  Halls of Tizun Thane

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:17 am 

Scalydemon wrote in LotFP:The big drop off in sales revenue was primarily due to losing his big cash cow author (Zak).

James will never admit that... Pay attention to what he wrote about zac in his last post...

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:16 am 

210 euro to get the limited book about a deck of cards and limited booklet describing a magic item. They look beautifully produced and I might have bought if they were adventures. But, James writes as much, the revenue is really just coverIng debts after a year or so of unfortunate business happenings.  One book release last year. Zak. No con sales in the picture.  He’s releasing anthologies at this point. And printing buckets. It’s sad but there isn’t much substance there anymore.  And right, there’s a Kickstarter that’s years late.

I draw the line at collecting... D&D beach towels.

Shoulda been: ".. from Pangreenia to Floratopolis, from mystical Treeonia of spectral Forests to Schruborial dimensions." - The Forests of Leng

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 7:51 am 

So why does some of this stuff command such high prices.
I don't see much 'quality' in the writing. It seems pretty much the same as everything else that's being pumped out by every other small press out these.
I did see, and said so at the time when Raggi asked this forum for it's opinion, a certain 'polish' to the presentation of the original LotFP 'white box'. Hence I bought ten of the things. But for me there was nothing substantive in the writing of the products that stood them apart from anything else in the market. So I lost interest in the stuff.

I can't quite get my head around some ask prices I've seen for a lot of stuff. $200-$300 for single booklets?
I can understand something published 30-40 years ago in a non-digital publishing era when things were printed and if the limited print run was 1000 copies, those copies are all there ever were, and they've been scattered to the four winds, lost, torn and binned, and what remains is all that remains that can come to market until someone stumbles across another on in a garage or an attic somewhere.
But these are digital files that can be printed on demand by anyone with the digital file (presumably only Raggi himself), and the black and white stuff is no doubt printed on his own home printer, and could be reprinted at any point ad infinitum.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:48 am 

Guy Fullerton wrote in LotFP:Death Frost Doom 2nd printing was 100 copies:
Death Frost Doom "Second Printing" (Page 1) - LotFP Gaming Forum - Lamentations of the Flame Princess
...somebody with the second printing ought to be able to corroborate this via the back cover

Random Esoteric Creature Generator sold "a little over 20 copies":
LotFP: RPG: A Tale of Courageous Hobbits and Dead Wives

I was under the impression that the original Fantasy F*cking Vietnam sold far fewer than 100 copies. This says 10:
LotFP: RPG: What the OSR Needs

FFV had more than 10 copies. I had 10 copies sent to me, so I'd imagine more like 100.
I also had 10 copies of RECG, so I suspect 20 copies is not right.
If it's JER that's confirming quantities, PM me.

Is the Google Doc the most up-to-date list of LotFP products?
I'm trying to find the gaps in my PDF collection.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:40 am 

mbassoc2003 wrote in LotFP:FFV had more than 10 copies.

Maybe it's intended in a poetic sense, like the Brian Eno quote, “The first Velvet Underground album only sold 10,000 copies, but everyone who bought it formed a band.”

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 12:31 pm 

Was Eldritch C@k released in a printing other than the Free RPG giveaway?

For example a Kickstarter or contributor printing?

I draw the line at collecting... D&D beach towels.

Shoulda been: ".. from Pangreenia to Floratopolis, from mystical Treeonia of spectral Forests to Schruborial dimensions." - The Forests of Leng

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 2:09 pm 

The spreadsheet on GoogleDocs alludes to there being two prints, although ostensibly both 1st printing, one available to pre-orderers having an additional magic item.
I have neither so cannot comment, although a PDF is available of RPGDriveThru.

>Edit<  My bad... It's in the wild for anyone who can use Google, as apparently is almost everything they've ever published.  8O

PreviousNext