Tombs of Valla and John Scott Clegg Productions
Author

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:00 pm 

As the cat is probably out of the bag, here is the skinny:  NTRPG Con was able to purchase 100 minty copies of The Tombs of Valla, Notnaidag Robber Headquarters, and The City of Valla (still in shrink)  from John Scott Clegg himself to sell at the con!  The leftovers will be available at RPG Marketplace sometime this or next month.

Not to get into too much detail, but we sought the license to reprint these products much like we did with Peter Kerestan and the Wee Warriors products. However, when contacting Clegg, we soon found out he was sitting on a bunch of these still stored in his basement. These are pretty much it, the rest had been destroyed in a flood, so we purchased all remaining copies at a decent price allowing us to offer them for a reasonable price ($30 each) and still make a profit.

These are all in mint to NM condition, unused.  Some details below:

The Tombs of Valla:  Digest sized, red cover 1980 publication, 68 pages.  The maps are five sheets ( they have NOT been folded  and placed inside, they are separate). A very interesting generic dungeon with several levels, and some interesting random treasure and item charts. The first 32 pages describe the dungeons themselves, no stats beyond just totally generic. Pages 33-38 contain random charts.  Pages 39-44 contains the History of Valla.  Pages 45-64 contain specifics to Clegg's world, including glossary of terms, magical items, and creatures (statted D&D style, and then statted what I believe is RQ style with random rolls for characteristics. The last few pages contain maps.  A really nicely put together and great 3rd party gaming item!

Notnaidag Robber Headquarters: Digest sized, darker blue cover (2nd print 1981), 24 pages, map is the centerpages (stapled). The first two pages describe the robber brotherhood. Pages 5-17 describe the hideout, pages 18-22 contain random charts, pages 23 & 24 are a glossary and maps.

City of Valla Maps:  Haven't torn the shrink on a set of these yet (!).  These look like large foldout maps, lots of stores and such marked, really nicely drawn.

If anyone has questions let me know. I would advise buying these now while the excellent opportunity exists.  I suspect Doug will only sell one per customer but I can be wrong.  When they are gone, they are gone!!!

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:06 pm 

Nice to see that someone was able to get at the copies he's been holding onto.

Its been posted on the forum in the past that he has had copies for sale but he has not been very active in letting any of them go for some time.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:03 am 

He's had some medical issues lately, and we offered to buy them all rather than just a few......I think he was motivated by both issues (getting some money he could use to pay bills and getting a large amount at once). All in all he was a very nice guy to deal with...

Mike B.

NTRPGCON

Last edited by Badmike on Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:28 am 

Wouldn't have chased these for big money, but I'd probably buy a set.  Please let us know when they hit rpgmarketplace.

Areas of interest/knowledge: Harn, WFRP, Ars Magica, anything BRP based such as CoC, Runequest, Pendragon and all their related games

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:46 pm 

I'll be curious to see what they end up reselling for in a few years.  Curious about how long it will take to move 100 copies as well.

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:54 pm 

I'd like to get a set of these. Keeping my eye on rpgmarketplace.

"You get more with a kind word and an excruciator than with just a kind word."

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:05 pm 

I'll be sure yo post when they hit RPGMarketplace.com

I didn't limit anyone at the Con, I won't limit anyone on the site either.

Honestly, I don't think more than about 40~50 people really collect this odd one off type stuff, but I could be wrong.

I want to say we sold about 30 at the Con and not many bought 2, so maybe another 20 when they go online ?

In any case I'll make the postings with more info that Mike provided about print versions and differences since I spent some time asking about all that.

Glad we could get them. Reprints would have been nice, but originals are all the better

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:42 pm 

As far as I know there are only 2 printings of the Notnaidag and 1 of everything else but my sample size of these books has not been great.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:27 am 

Actually here are the print details.

Tombs of Valla

2 printings, both with same cover.

Only difference between the two - spelling corrections made in second print

We have to presume we are selling 2nd prints... would have to have a 1st print in hand to even know what was corrected.

The maps were folded and inserted into the booklet, thus why hardly any booklets have the maps. WE only got 2 of the original maps, the other 3 he reprinted before shipping to us, so I have boarded the maps 2 on one side and 3 on the other so you can tell which is the reprint (you can tell by the paper as well)

Notnaidag - correct - 2 printings

1st print has full color cover ie: 4 to 5 colors... was too expensive and only printed a couple dozen, current blue cover is 2nd print

City Map of Valla - one printing only, hardly sold any. His distributor at the time told him he had to have 20 items in the catalog or he could no longer sell the items. He could not afford to come up with and print 17 more items... so he faded away...

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:34 pm 

I'd love to get on the list for these.  Will you be posting here when they become available?

Thanks!  :)

Carpe DM!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:03 pm 

They are now available at RPGmarkteplace and going fast.....almost 20 sets sold in an hour.  

Mike B.

www.rpgmarketplace.com

NTRPGCON

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:04 pm 

Badmike wrote in Tombs of Valla and John Scott Clegg Productions:They are now available at RPGmarkteplace and going fast.....almost 20 sets sold in an hour.  

Mike B.

rpgmarketplace.com

Yeah 10 went to 1 buyer (good investment I'd say).

I ordered a set but I'm not sure if my new address went into this order. PM'd Doug but just in case, please send it to the Vermont address and not the Delaware address.

"You get more with a kind word and an excruciator than with just a kind word."

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:32 pm 

For anyone on the fence here, you might want to consider that a month ago, a set like this probably would have sold in the $500 range.  In the past they have been very rare.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:39 pm 

I just ordered a set.  :)

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:47 pm 

I ordered mine today!

Last edited by thedanered on Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:44 am 

Mars wrote in Tombs of Valla and John Scott Clegg Productions:For anyone on the fence here, you might want to consider that a month ago, a set like this probably would have sold in the $500 range.  In the past they have been very rare.

I grabbed a set to check them out.  But this is well beyond flooding the market for this sort of thing.  I'd expect just about everyone interested will be covered by this cache.

Areas of interest/knowledge: Harn, WFRP, Ars Magica, anything BRP based such as CoC, Runequest, Pendragon and all their related games

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:46 am 

We are not a lot of small-press collectors so i guess that TheHistorian is right...
I grabbed a set too, it is a wonderfull price considering for how much these books have been sold before that...

Adventures in Austerion : a fantasy RPG, with boardgame mechanisms and modular battlemap. By Guillaume Tavernier and Géraud G.

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:06 am 

TheHistorian wrote in Tombs of Valla and John Scott Clegg Productions:
Mars wrote in Tombs of Valla and John Scott Clegg Productions:I grabbed a set to check them out.  
But this is well beyond flooding the market for this sort of thing.  
I'd expect just about everyone interested will be covered by this cache.

Agree; at least for now.
It will be years (maybe a decade or more) before a sellers market returns for those who bought gobs of sets.

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Next