Fantasy Games Unlimited
Author

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 4:41 pm 

I just received a bunch of fantasy games unlimited stuff and was wondering if anyone has a product list for everything they produced, years offered etc?  I don't know a whole lot about the company and only found out when I got the stuff just how diverse a lot of it is.  Also, anyone every play any of the Pacesetter games?  Are they any good?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 10:13 pm 

If you go to the Internet Archive at Internet Archive Wayback Machine you can see their site, which was active until fairly recently.  IIRC it has a listing of all of their published stuff.

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Nov 27, 2004 10:32 am 

grodog wrote:If you go to the Internet Archive at Internet Archive Wayback Machine you can see their site, which was active until fairly recently.  IIRC it has a listing of all of their published stuff.

That is a truly nasty looking URL... :)

YIM  

Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 4:04 pm 

deimos3428 wrote:
grodog wrote:If you go to the Internet Archive at Internet Archive Wayback Machine you can see their site, which was active until fairly recently.  IIRC it has a listing of all of their published stuff.

That is a truly nasty looking URL... :)

That's because it uses the Wayback Machine, an archive of basically the entire web over time. It is the best way to grab old missing web pages. I've resurrected stuff from defunct web sites there many times.

Brett Slocum

Game and book collector

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:27 pm 

Rather than start a new thread, I thought I would resurrect this old one.

I have an FGU game from 1986 called "Year of the Phoenix". It is a near future SF game and is still in its original SW. Any ideas as to what this is worth? The reason I am asking, if it is not very valuable I may take the SW off so I can scan the components and make a nice reference for it on the Acaeum Wiki.

Thanks.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:00 pm 

I think at best it would be $20-$25 but most likely less.  Not too many FGU completest collectors out there and Year of the Phoenix wasn't one of their main ones.

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:28 pm 

Thanks Mars! BTW The info in this thread (from 2005) is quite outdated now. Did you ever find a complete product list for FGU?

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:29 pm 

Also, anyone every play any of the Pacesetter games?  Are they any good?

I like Chill a lot. A sort of more humorous (Elvira was involved with it at one point, as I recall...) Call of Cthulhu, but not a bad game. Mayfair liked it enough to do their own version. That is the only one I can recall playing.

Those who can, don't. Those who should not, do.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:56 pm 

I think I used the link above using the Way Back Machine to find the list of items - I was mainly looking to fill in the gaps of Space Opera.

They have a current website here:

Fantasy Games Unlimited - Official Home of Villains and Vigilantes, Aftermath!, Space Opera and other fine RPGs

They also still have stock of Year of the Phoenix for $20.

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:41 am 

No a popular game evidently, considering it was released more than 20 years ago! I think I will de-shrink it then and have a look inside :study:

I just checked our FGU listing on the Wiki and we already have 34 products covered.

Category: Fantasy Games Unlimited - Acaeum

PS. That waybackmachine is a pretty cool website!

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 2:19 am 

Using the waybackmachine and looking at some of the earlier versions of the FGU site, I notice that it lists a number of supplements for Year of the Phoenix. Does anyone know if these were actually released?

4111 Year of the Phoenix: Liberty the Fugitive
4102        Year of the Phoenix Sourcebook
4120        Year of the Phoenix: Surf's Up

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:37 am 

serleran wrote:
I like Chill a lot. A sort of more humorous (Elvira was involved with it at one point, as I recall...) Call of Cthulhu, but not a bad game. Mayfair liked it enough to do their own version. That is the only one I can recall playing.

Big Pacesetter fan here. Chill was an excellent game. In fact, you can use Chill products as supplements for your CoC campaign. I have never cared for the Mayfair version. Mayfair really lost the "spirit" of Chill and tried way too hard to make it a true Horror rpg.

Timemaster was ok, Star Ace - not so much. TM and SA only had a handful of products and went up against some pretty tough competition at the time. SA never had a chance and TM just never stuck.

All Pacesetter rpgs use the same rule mechanic so they are easy to learn.

They also produced a game called Sandman - simply awesome. Problem was that it came out just before Pacesetter disappeared.

Pacesetter also produced two stand alone games (board games) Wabbit Wampage and Black Morn Manor - both of which I highly recommend. I think Wabbit had a follow-up called Wabbit Wevenge, but I don't have it and have never spent the time search it out. Probably should though because I think that would be the last item for my Pacesetter collection.  :D

I will be adding all the Pacesetter stuff to the Acaeum Wiki over the next couple weeks. Just finished scanning all the pics for upload.

I really need to find out who has the rights to Chill at this time....Mayfair is gone - bought by daVinci Games who I know nothing about.

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:59 am 

bbarsh wrote:Timemaster was ok, Star Ace - not so much. TM and SA only had a handful of products and went up against some pretty tough competition at the time. SA never had a chance and TM just never stuck.

Star Ace had the boxed set, four modules, a GM screen, and a supplement released for it.
I think Wabbit had a follow-up called Wabbit Wevenge, but I don't have it and have never spent the time search it out. Probably should though because I think that would be the last item for my Pacesetter collection.  :D

*raises eyebrow*  I have a Wabbit's Wevenge that is punched and has the "54-40' Orphyte" stickers on the box.  It also has the Orphyte product sheets inside instead of Pacesetter ephemera.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:03 am 

JohnGaunt wrote:*raises eyebrow*  I have a Wabbit's Wevenge that is punched and has the "54-40' Orphyte" stickers on the box.  It also has the Orphyte product sheets inside instead of Pacesetter ephemera.

That is interesting. I got it on watch, now.

As far as detailing the products, I am at work and I don't have my laptop today so I can't check my product lists. But that sounds about right.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:15 am 

Was that really all that is out for Star Ace?  I thought there were 10 or so items.  I seem to recall that TM had a lot - maybe I am confused with that one.  I thought Sandman was the best of the bunch.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:17 am 

Orphyte bought out Pacesetter or something.  They are still selling off the old stock.  Although it looks like Star Ace was sold to someone else.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:44 am 

Mars wrote:Was that really all that is out for Star Ace?  I thought there were 10 or so items.  I seem to recall that TM had a lot - maybe I am confused with that one.  I thought Sandman was the best of the bunch.

Star Ace:

Boxed set
Campaign Master's Screen w/Ace in the Hole
Aliens (Supplement)
Adventures:
First Strike on Paradise, The Gemini Conspiracy, Goodbye Kankee, Lightspeed Raid

Timemaster had quite a few...10 adventures, 1 supplement, 1 screen, and of course the boxed set.

Pacesetter products were one of the first series I collected and finished off, they are easy to find and fun to read (although I never played anything, even Chill).

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:47 am 

Mars wrote:Orphyte bought out Pacesetter or something.  They are still selling off the old stock.  Although it looks like Star Ace was sold to someone else.

I think they just bought out the stock. Though I have seen it othe places. In fact, I just picked up:

** expired/removed eBay auction **

and

** expired/removed eBay auction **

What I am going to do with them all, I don't exactly know, but I couldn't pass them up.

Star Ace did not have too much material. So I think the summary above is got to be darn close.

Next