FREE RPG DAY - June 15th
Author

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 5:54 pm 

The usual stores were participating here, and I managed to get to two of them a few hours after they opened and got some items from each. I got the last Steampunk Die (Q Workshop) at one; it's neat-looking: yellow on brown, with the six being a clock face at 6 o'clock. The Frog God Games module for Swords & Wizardry (OD&D Clone) is an intro/quickstart for S&W, a level 1 sample dungeon for new players, and four pre-gen characters.

Zenopus Archives website & blog: Exploring the Underworld of Holmes Basic D&D. Holmes Ref: Reference Sheets for Holmes Basic Referees, also compatible with OD&D plus the Greyhawk supplement

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 6:04 pm 

The editor of the Fight On! OD&D zine announced today as part of Free RPG day that all issues will be made free for short periods of time.
Issue #2 (Summer 2008) is currently a free download on Lulu (account required).

Zenopus Archives website & blog: Exploring the Underworld of Holmes Basic D&D. Holmes Ref: Reference Sheets for Holmes Basic Referees, also compatible with OD&D plus the Greyhawk supplement

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 6:43 pm 

benjoshua wrote in FREE RPG DAY - June 15th:I don't know.  I went to one store and got and traded for four items, all of which immediately went on eBay.  Most items were like I expected, but one item stood out.  The LAMENTATIONS OF THE FLAME PRINCESS Adventure, Better Than Any Man, is epic at 96 pages long!   8O   There are several maps, illustrations and typical stuff, but the module is rated 18+ because of explicit content, and it is very explicit.

Anyway, it looks to be of excellent quality and an interesting, if wild, adventure.   8)

From myself and the other 337 backers of LotFP's Better Than Any Man Kickstarter....you are welcome.  :wink:

Too bad I won't be able to post a picture of the cover of the adventure once I get it.  The Kickstarter backers get a special "uncensored" cover.  All the email said is "whatever you do, dont open your package at work, around kids, or in any public places".  :twisted:

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:08 pm 

I think 'epic' is the word for the LotFP item - 96 pages yes...but what usually gets overlooked on the free items?  Art, maps, layout, production quality... it's all there.  This is a tremendous Free RPG day item, 15 went out to each store so there should be plenty to be found.  Granted, the content isn't to everyone's taste, but if you have a bent for this type of rpg product, grab one while you can.

I draw the line at collecting... D&D beach towels.

Shoulda been: ".. from Pangreenia to Floratopolis, from mystical Treeonia of spectral Forests to Schruborial dimensions." - The Forests of Leng

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 3:29 am 

Only one store participated here in Colorado Springs, with I think three participating up in the Denver area.  I managed to get the two items I wanted most, the Frog God Games S&W module and Better Than Any Man.  I agree with everything everyone here is saying about the LotFP item.  Production values are excellent and the amount of content is unprecedented for a free rpg day book.  Whether you dig the adventure or not, there would appear to be plenty of things that could be of use in the book.  If nothing else, there are some nice maps inside, including a largish town.  Very impressive book.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:01 pm 

Thunderdave wrote in FREE RPG DAY - June 15th:I think 'epic' is the word for the LotFP item - 96 pages yes...but what usually gets overlooked on the free items?  Art, maps, layout, production quality... it's all there.  This is a tremendous Free RPG day item, 15 went out to each store so there should be plenty to be found.  Granted, the content isn't to everyone's taste, but if you have a bent for this type of rpg product, grab one while you can.

I read almost all of the adventure, and I really appreciated its creativity and quality.  This adventure, if you want to call it that, is tough as nails with several game-ending encounters.  Many of the illustrations are as high-quality as they are graphic.  There are lots of new monsters with attacks I have never heard of or imagined.  This read is truly a mind-bender.  

One of the more interesting qualities of this adventure is that the writer occasionally explains how to be creepy, how to get under the skin of the adventurers.  This company/writer knows horror.

If there is anything wrong with this adventure it is that there really is no goal except that which is created by the party.  Fortunately, there are several worthy goals available to pursue.  Otherwise, you explore strange new places and try to get rich without dying.  And while there is a lot to be said for a philosophy where life is the journey and not the destination, I like goals and purpose in a gaming session.  I like saving the world and rescuing the princess without everything being too linear.  I realize that it's just my preference and not for every gamer.  

This adventure will stick with me a while.  8)

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:26 pm 

Strangely, I didn't see any copies of the LotFP title at our FLGS on Saturday, but they had a metric ton of the Star Wars, S&W, DCC, and other titles.  I wonder if it was behind the counter, since it contained explicit content?  Will have to ask and see.  Thanks for the heads-up, folks.

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:33 pm 

I believe there were 15 copies of LofFP per box, but I only saw around 5 (which other hands got on before I could even look at it).

Most of the work was weak sauce.  The T&T was mostly advertising / release news; the DCC had XCrawl in half theirs (awful, IMO); the Halls of Bones had tons of white space; the Pathfinder was nicely done but also disappeared quickly.  I was able to get a couple of books at the end (I got extra because I ran a game at the store).

The Vampire book was quite large too (60+ pages) but I really didn't look at it much.

~throwi

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:25 am 

I am looking for a copy of the Star Wars offering for my DM. Can anyone help me out?

Previous