Wee Warriors The Vanquished Foe printing differences
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri May 17, 2013 8:01 pm 

I've been meaning to do this comparison for a long time to see what the rest of you thought.  Anyone have copies of The Vanquished Foe that might want to do some comparisons and offer thoughts?

I have three copies, all different from one another but copy 1 is more different than the other two, while copies 2 and 3 are very similar except for paper color on some of the pages.

Copy 1

Original bag with no price sticker
Type font is larger than other copies with some minor text changes to rules of play and description pages
10 total pages (however one of them has been cut-up for character chits, so 9 intact pages)
1 single sided cover, gray color
2 double sided rules of play, white
1 double sided mini-map, white with the other side having the game description
The 35 character cut-outs are all accounted for, printed on buff paper with brown ink, and cut-out and each glued to hard cardboard
1 single sided traps/terrain cut-outs, buff, brown ink
4 single sided map sections, buff

Copy 2

Original bag with 6.00 price sticker
Type font similar to copy 3 below
10 total pages
1 single sided cover, buff color
2 double sided rules of play, white
1 double sided mini-map, goldenrod with the other side having the game description
1 single sided character cut-outs, light yellow, red ink
1 single sided traps/terrain cut-outs, light yellow, red ink
4 single sided map sections, light yellow

Copy 3

Original bag with 4.00 price sticker
Type font similar to copy 2 above
13 total pages  
1 single sided cover, buff color
4 single sided rules of play, white
1 single sided game description, goldenrod
1 single sided mini-map, white
1 single sided character cut-outs, goldenrod
1 single sided traps/terrain cut-outs, goldenrod
4 single sided map sections, green

Noticeable differences between copies 1 and 2 / 3 include:

Cut-outs are smaller in copy 1 and larger in copies 2 / 3
Copy 1 Left Copy 2 Right

Obvious color differences in the paper and ink used in various pages, as well as use of single sided vs. double sided paper
Copy 1 Left Copy 2 Right

Type font differences -- somewhat larger in copy 1
Copy 1

Copy 2

Copy 1

Copy 2

Textual differences, such as changing the words die and dice, and changing the spelling of its/it's, along with formatting tweaks on the Rules of Play page (see above).  I noticed a couple commas taken out as well on another page or two.

I'd really be interested to see how anyone's copies compares to the above, and what your thoughts are with regard to the differences and printing sequence?

Jeff

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat May 18, 2013 1:51 am 

I sent Pete a link to this thread, so he'll either chime in or send me an email with some details we can hope :)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon May 20, 2013 3:47 pm 

Excellent thanks!  Anyone else have a copy to compare notes on  :?:  :?:   :D

Verbose Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon May 20, 2013 7:00 pm 

Yes.  Working on it...

Verbose Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon May 20, 2013 7:21 pm 

Here's one that confirms your "Copy 1":

Original bag with no price sticker  Check
Type font is larger than other copies with some minor text changes to rules of play and description pages Check
10 total pages (however one of them has been cut-up for character chits, so 9 intact pages) Check, intact
1 single sided cover, gray color Check
2 double sided rules of play, white Check, Page #4 is a 1/2 page of text and a combat table chart at the end
1 double sided mini-map, white with the other side having the game description Check, mini-map is a collection of the four full-size map sheets
The 35 character cut-outs are all accounted for, printed on buff paper with brown ink, and cut-out and each glued to hard cardboard Check, intact on a 1/2 sheet
1 single sided traps/terrain cut-outs, buff, brown ink Check
4 single sided map sections, buff Check

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue May 21, 2013 2:47 pm 

I have two copies. One fits your description of Copy 1 and the other for Copy 3:

Copy 1

Original bag with no price sticker -YES
Type font is larger than other copies with some minor text changes to rules of play and description pages - YES
10 total pages (however one of them has been cut-up for character chits, so 9 intact pages) -Yes and character chits are intact but are on a half page size
1 single sided cover, gray color - YES and this is on card, thicker than the cover for Copy 2
2 double sided rules of play, white - YES
1 double sided mini-map, white with the other side having the game description - YES
The 35 character cut-outs are all accounted for, printed on buff paper with brown ink, and cut-out and each glued to hard cardboard -YES
1 single sided traps/terrain cut-outs, buff, brown ink -YES but ink is more black than brown
4 single sided map sections, buff - YES and these are on card

Copy 3

Original bag with 4.00 price sticker - MISSING from my copy
Type font similar to copy 2 above - YES
13 total pages - YES
1 single sided cover, buff color - YES
4 single sided rules of play, white -YES
1 single sided game description, goldenrod - YES
1 single sided mini-map, white - YES
1 single sided character cut-outs, goldenrod - YES
1 single sided traps/terrain cut-outs, goldenrod - YES
4 single sided map sections, green - YES

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed May 22, 2013 8:02 pm 

Thanks for the comparisons!  Nobleknight also has one up for sale that appears to be an intact version of Copy 2 as well.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:00 pm 

Given the comparisons above, is it reasonable to think that copy 2 is a later printing, as some of the textual changes correct composition and wording from copy 1?

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:04 pm 

Ive got a copy of #2 - no sticker on bag.  Willing to sell.

Any offers?

--

Chris Korczak | www.rpgrpgrpg.com
IOBA (Independent Online Booksellers Association)
SNEAB (Southern New England Antiquarian Booksellers)

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:15 pm 

This one is a bit of a harder sell these days.  The market got flooded not too long ago when ebay seller warhouse7 sold off probably more than 25 copies, most at prices $100 and under.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:15 pm 

Mars wrote in Wee Warriors The Vanquished Foe printing differences:This one is a bit of a harder sell these days.  The market got flooded not too long ago when ebay seller warhouse7 sold off probably more than 25 copies, most at prices $100 and under.

I'd like to see his stockroom  :D

He's certainly had tons of smaller press items up for sale at very reasonable prices and in very very nice condition

Make them pay as much as they think they can afford...J.R. "Bob" Dobbs

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 10:32 am 

I went to the Warhouse probably 3 years ago.  It was an old store that smelled damp moldy and smoky.  It was literally jammed full of boxes of rpg books.  There were hundreds of boxes, it would take you months to go through it all.  No to mention walls of old minis and boardgames etc.   Definite hoarder potential!!

The complete opposite of the prototypical current game store that only sells magic, warhammer and D&D/PF.  Of course you would not want to hang out there, but for the collector it was a lot of fun.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:22 am 

NMilty wrote in Wee Warriors The Vanquished Foe printing differences:I went to the Warhouse probably 3 years ago.  It was an old store that smelled damp moldy and smoky.  It was literally jammed full of boxes of rpg books.  There were hundreds of boxes, it would take you months to go through it all.  No to mention walls of old minis and boardgames etc.   Definite hoarder potential!!

The complete opposite of the prototypical current game store that only sells magic, warhammer and D&D/PF.  Of course you would not want to hang out there, but for the collector it was a lot of fun.

That would be so cool to go through some of those boxes. I live in Arkansas and we don't have any Gaming/Hobby stores like that here. They are all like you say..MTG, and other assorted silliness (IMO). Heck there's not any good 'used' bookstores here

I've dealt with the owner of Warhouse (Steven) at least I think it was him. He can be a little cantankerous at times. But it could be one of his employees. I dunno

Make them pay as much as they think they can afford...J.R. "Bob" Dobbs