Manual of Aurania - contents
Author

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Tue May 07, 2013 3:22 pm 

I recently bought a copy of the 2nd edition (1977) of the Manual of Aurania from Noble Knight. I bought their one non-shrinked copy as I wanted to look at the contents and didn't want to destroy shrink. However, the pages of this copy are all loose - staples have been removed - and kind of weirdly formatted (several sheets are single sided and the rest are double sided), so I wanted to make sure I have all of the pages. Pages #3-17 seem to be in order based on the contents so I'm mostly concerned if pages #1 and 2 are correct or should be double-sided.

There are 17 sheets:

The first two and last are single-sided:
#1 - Introduction (single sided sheet)
#2 - Illustration (single sided sheet) - Cleric of Thor confronting a Wraith
#17 - Weird Trips & Rip-Offs continued + illustration of Nuckalee

The remaining pages are double-sided (front/back)
#3 - Cleric variants/Beorning class, tiny Dragon pic
#4 - Sidhe class/Samurai class
#5 - Samurai cont/Basadae,Leprechaun class
#6 - Leprechauns cont inc pic/Shape-Shifter class
#7 - Shape-Shifters Cont/Reincarnation Charts
#8 - Giant Types/cont
#9 - Giant Types cont inc pic of "4 Armed Horror"/Trolls
#10 - Trolls cont inc pic/Undead
#11 - Undead cont/Undead cont inc pic of "Apparition"
#12 - Dragons/Dragons cont
#13 - Dragons cont/Dragons cont inc pic
#14 - Demons/Demons cont inc pic of "Demon of the Netherdepths"
#15-17 - Weird Trips and Rip-offs/cont

Interesting stuff. Contents are all for OD&D. Overall, the formatting and production quality is similar to Alarums & Excursions issues from the time period.

Zenopus Archives website & blog: Exploring the Underworld of Holmes Basic D&D. Holmes Ref: Reference Sheets for Holmes Basic Referees, also compatible with OD&D plus the Greyhawk supplement

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue May 07, 2013 6:53 pm 

The Manual of Aurania is something I only recently discovered from reading Playing at the World, & considering its early date is worth a closer look. If I used smilies I would choose one with sunglasses, a party hat, & a thumbs-up gesture to impart the historical significance.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue May 07, 2013 7:15 pm 

This is one of those small press products that is pretty good old school bang for your buck - mainly because there are lots of copies available.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue May 07, 2013 7:21 pm 

Mars wrote in Manual of Aurania - contents:This is one of those small press products that is pretty good old school bang for your buck - mainly because there are lots of copies available.

Acknowledged, & moved to its own thread.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed May 08, 2013 1:44 am 

yes Zenopus, pages 1,2 & 17 are single-sided and the rest double-sided in a 2nd print manual of aurania.

Shrink is not a condition

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu May 09, 2013 1:03 am 

Thanks, stratochamp. Good to hear that my copy is complete.

Zenopus Archives website & blog: Exploring the Underworld of Holmes Basic D&D. Holmes Ref: Reference Sheets for Holmes Basic Referees, also compatible with OD&D plus the Greyhawk supplement

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu May 09, 2013 2:53 pm 

I think of Aurania as a poor man's Nimolee.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu May 09, 2013 7:14 pm 

Heckle to back and again, I can't remember if'n I have one of these. I knows I gots Nimolee, though. Oh well, guess I need to spend more time cataloging.

Those who can, don't. Those who should not, do.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:03 pm 

Anyone know the story behind the NK shrink-wrapped copies?  I have one from Amandadub, with discolouration along the edge consistent with long-term shelf storage... the NK version looks identical with the same fade-away of the black on the cover, but is otherwise brand-spanking new.  Thoughts?

Attachment:
DSCN3444.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

I draw the line at collecting... D&D beach towels.

Shoulda been: ".. from Pangreenia to Floratopolis, from mystical Treeonia of spectral Forests to Schruborial dimensions." - The Forests of Leng

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:32 am 

D. Daniel Wagner allowed me to transcribe and post his Beorning class from the Manual on my blog, posted yesterday.

And today I have an overview of the Manual to provide more context.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:36 am 

Thunderdave wrote in Manual of Aurania - contents:Anyone know the story behind the NK shrink-wrapped copies?  I have one from Amandadub, with discolouration along the edge consistent with long-term shelf storage... the NK version looks identical with the same fade-away of the black on the cover, but is otherwise brand-spanking new.  Thoughts?

There's some more info on the printings from Wagner in this other Acaeum thread. The shrinkwrapped copies may have resulted from a particular distributor/retailer.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 4:51 pm 

If anyone is curious for more info about this product, Daniel Wagner is answering questions in a thread over on OD&D Discussion: Manual of Aurania

I linked to Noble Knight's copies in my blog post and as a result they are all sold out now.

But Daniel has indicated there that he's willing to release the Manual as a pdf if someone can help him to set it up so the proceeds are donated directly to a non-profit. See the OD&D Discussion thread for more details.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:05 pm 

Never heard of this, very interesting thanks PDT_Armataz_01_37

Well, we land in barren fields
On the Arizona plains

Publisher of AFS Magazine, 'Pulp literature meets old school gaming'  Halls of Tizun Thane

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:48 am 

You're welcome, scalydemon.

Daniel has allowed me to continue posting material from the Manual. Today I've transcribed his Grue monster, which predates the one in Zork.

Collector

Post Posted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:19 am 

Hello, my name is Robert Singh, I am Hugh Singh's son, and I need to get a hold of Mr. Wagner about the Manual of Aurania,  if anyone can help me get in touch with Mr. Wagner I would appreciate it.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:30 am 

does he owe you any money?

Collector

Post Posted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:56 am 

Doesn't owe anyone I know any money,  my father is trying to get in touch with him, and we are working on a project that we would like to talk with Mr. Wagner about.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:15 am 

the way you phrased your inquiry left your motive ambiguous; nonetheless i didn't really think you were hunting him down for old royalties. i apologize for making your initial postings awkward, but look on the bright side: things have no where to go but up! seriously though, most of the members here are very friendly and helpful.

Next