Manual of Aurania - contents
Author

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Tue May 07, 2013 3:22 pm 

I recently bought a copy of the 2nd edition (1977) of the Manual of Aurania from Noble Knight. I bought their one non-shrinked copy as I wanted to look at the contents and didn't want to destroy shrink. However, the pages of this copy are all loose - staples have been removed - and kind of weirdly formatted (several sheets are single sided and the rest are double sided), so I wanted to make sure I have all of the pages. Pages #3-17 seem to be in order based on the contents so I'm mostly concerned if pages #1 and 2 are correct or should be double-sided.

There are 17 sheets:

The first two and last are single-sided:
#1 - Introduction (single sided sheet)
#2 - Illustration (single sided sheet) - Cleric of Thor confronting a Wraith
#17 - Weird Trips & Rip-Offs continued + illustration of Nuckalee

The remaining pages are double-sided (front/back)
#3 - Cleric variants/Beorning class, tiny Dragon pic
#4 - Sidhe class/Samurai class
#5 - Samurai cont/Basadae,Leprechaun class
#6 - Leprechauns cont inc pic/Shape-Shifter class
#7 - Shape-Shifters Cont/Reincarnation Charts
#8 - Giant Types/cont
#9 - Giant Types cont inc pic of "4 Armed Horror"/Trolls
#10 - Trolls cont inc pic/Undead
#11 - Undead cont/Undead cont inc pic of "Apparition"
#12 - Dragons/Dragons cont
#13 - Dragons cont/Dragons cont inc pic
#14 - Demons/Demons cont inc pic of "Demon of the Netherdepths"
#15-17 - Weird Trips and Rip-offs/cont

Interesting stuff. Contents are all for OD&D. Overall, the formatting and production quality is similar to Alarums & Excursions issues from the time period.

Zenopus Archives website & blog: Exploring the Underworld of Holmes Basic D&D. Holmes Ref: Reference Sheets for Holmes Basic Referees, also compatible with OD&D plus the Greyhawk supplement

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue May 07, 2013 6:53 pm 

The Manual of Aurania is something I only recently discovered from reading Playing at the World, & considering its early date is worth a closer look. If I used smilies I would choose one with sunglasses, a party hat, & a thumbs-up gesture to impart the historical significance.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue May 07, 2013 7:15 pm 

This is one of those small press products that is pretty good old school bang for your buck - mainly because there are lots of copies available.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue May 07, 2013 7:21 pm 

Mars wrote in Manual of Aurania - contents:This is one of those small press products that is pretty good old school bang for your buck - mainly because there are lots of copies available.

Acknowledged, & moved to its own thread.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed May 08, 2013 1:44 am 

yes Zenopus, pages 1,2 & 17 are single-sided and the rest double-sided in a 2nd print manual of aurania.

Shrink is not a condition

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu May 09, 2013 1:03 am 

Thanks, stratochamp. Good to hear that my copy is complete.

Zenopus Archives website & blog: Exploring the Underworld of Holmes Basic D&D. Holmes Ref: Reference Sheets for Holmes Basic Referees, also compatible with OD&D plus the Greyhawk supplement

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu May 09, 2013 2:53 pm 

I think of Aurania as a poor man's Nimolee.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . chicken and wild rice soup.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu May 09, 2013 7:14 pm 

Heckle to back and again, I can't remember if'n I have one of these. I knows I gots Nimolee, though. Oh well, guess I need to spend more time cataloging.

Those who can, don't. Those who should not, do.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:03 pm 

Anyone know the story behind the NK shrink-wrapped copies?  I have one from Amandadub, with discolouration along the edge consistent with long-term shelf storage... the NK version looks identical with the same fade-away of the black on the cover, but is otherwise brand-spanking new.  Thoughts?

Attachment:
DSCN3444.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

I draw the line at collecting... D&D Towels.

Did we need: Jade Magi Sewer Crawl

Shoulda been: ".. from Pangreenia to Floratopolis, from mystical Treeonia of spectral Forests to Schruborial dimensions."  - The Forests of Leng

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:32 am 

D. Daniel Wagner allowed me to transcribe and post his Beorning class from the Manual on my blog, posted yesterday.

And today I have an overview of the Manual to provide more context.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:36 am 

Thunderdave wrote in Manual of Aurania - contents:Anyone know the story behind the NK shrink-wrapped copies?  I have one from Amandadub, with discolouration along the edge consistent with long-term shelf storage... the NK version looks identical with the same fade-away of the black on the cover, but is otherwise brand-spanking new.  Thoughts?

There's some more info on the printings from Wagner in this other Acaeum thread. The shrinkwrapped copies may have resulted from a particular distributor/retailer.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 4:51 pm 

If anyone is curious for more info about this product, Daniel Wagner is answering questions in a thread over on OD&D Discussion: Manual of Aurania

I linked to Noble Knight's copies in my blog post and as a result they are all sold out now.

But Daniel has indicated there that he's willing to release the Manual as a pdf if someone can help him to set it up so the proceeds are donated directly to a non-profit. See the OD&D Discussion thread for more details.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:05 pm 

Never heard of this, very interesting thanks PDT_Armataz_01_37

Well, we land in barren fields
On the Arizona plains

Publisher of AFS Magazine, 'Pulp literature meets old school gaming'  Halls of Tizun Thane

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:48 am 

You're welcome, scalydemon.

Daniel has allowed me to continue posting material from the Manual. Today I've transcribed his Grue monster, which predates the one in Zork.

Collector

Post Posted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:19 am 

Hello, my name is Robert Singh, I am Hugh Singh's son, and I need to get a hold of Mr. Wagner about the Manual of Aurania,  if anyone can help me get in touch with Mr. Wagner I would appreciate it.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:30 am 

does he owe you any money?

Collector

Post Posted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:56 am 

Doesn't owe anyone I know any money,  my father is trying to get in touch with him, and we are working on a project that we would like to talk with Mr. Wagner about.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:15 am 

the way you phrased your inquiry left your motive ambiguous; nonetheless i didn't really think you were hunting him down for old royalties. i apologize for making your initial postings awkward, but look on the bright side: things have no where to go but up! seriously though, most of the members here are very friendly and helpful.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:55 am 

warhouse on ebay has sold a few of these over the last few months. not sure if he has any left. I'm thinking he does but it's been awhile since I asked.

i think his sold in the $25-40 range. i was going to try to get one but just didn't have time to up the bid. oh well

Make them pay as much as they think they can afford...J.R. "Bob" Dobbs

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:35 pm 

It sounds like Zenopus might have a good line on a direct email address so if he doesn't respond to you, you might want to send him a message.  A very interesting read over OD&D discussion as well:  Manual of Aurania | Original D&D Discussion

Next