FRP made easy
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed May 01, 2013 10:58 am 

How about this?

how many copies owned by acaeum members? I'd like to have one, but i think it is nigh-impossible.

rpggeek.com/rpgitem/109195/frp-made-eas ... core-rules

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed May 01, 2013 11:31 am 

I believe the one posted there is incomplete.  There was probably a CD that came with it that contained a bunch more info.  The full system is over 600 pages.  There were also a bunch of adventures created as well.

I have a modern day reprint and am trying to figure out a feasible way of bring it back into print (at least for a limited run).  But at 650 pages the cost is high.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed May 01, 2013 12:42 pm 

by whom was it reprinted? by the original authors?

I contacted a guy who owns it some time ago, he said to me the authors used to live near him in Connecticut but he doesn't even know if they are still alive and has no way of reaching them.

650 is a lot of pages for bringing it into print, maybe in electronic format? I don't know.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed May 01, 2013 1:21 pm 

This copy is reprinted by me.  I have the electronic files from the authors.  They are open to allow me to reprint them and then send them a fee but I'm not sure how to make this cost effective.

Electronic format is a possibility but I generally don't like it - once a copy gets out ...

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed May 01, 2013 1:32 pm 

Mars wrote in FRP made easy:This copy is reprinted by me.  I have the electronic files from the authors.  They are open to allow me to reprint them and then send them a fee but I'm not sure how to make this cost effective.

Electronic format is a possibility but I generally don't like it - once a copy gets out ...

....the world would end, I know.  Isn't some distribution and some money making it to the author's hands better than, well, nothing?

650 pages is probably too many to do in a cost effective way, except as a vanity print.  You could take orders to gauge interest, then print only the copies ordered, maybe a few extra to auction or sell.  Any print shop can give you a ballpark figure it would cost to reprint the entire thing.  I bet advertising here on the Acaeum would get you more than a few orders, out of curiousity if nothing else.

I think the NTRPG con could figure out some way to make this work but honestly we have far too much on our plate right now....we are still looking at reprinting Steve Marsh's Mistworld and a few other Wee Warriors items, as well as some other goodies.

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed May 01, 2013 1:39 pm 

i would enlist among potential buyers, since you are granted permission to make reprints.

When you have figured it out, just drop me a mail if you are interested.

Also, as Badmike wrote, i think i won't be the only one here on the Acaeum who might want a reprint of this.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed May 01, 2013 2:12 pm 

Badmike wrote:Isn't some distribution and some money making it to the author's hands better than, well, nothing?

That is a question open to much debate.  It would seem that companies such as WotC do not agree - pulling all of their pdf products and actively filing lawsuits against those that pirate the work.

Not the same scale with small press but then again most authors of small press stuff have more personally invested into the work and many would rather not release it all than cheap whore it out for a couple of bucks.  

I have other small press reprint projects on the go but a big part of that is I am not in the industry so getting things formatted for printing and finding a place that will do it for a reasonable price can be very time consuming.  One I want to do is a boxed set edition of the Acquitaine series but I still haven't figured out how to get the Alchemist's Abode floorplans scanned and printed effectively or even looked at boxes, etc.

Maybe I shoot too high in what I want out of these products since realistically, we are looking at around maybe 25 people who will want copies.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed May 01, 2013 2:56 pm 

26 :)

I draw the line at collecting... D&D beach towels.

Shoulda been: ".. from Pangreenia to Floratopolis, from mystical Treeonia of spectral Forests to Schruborial dimensions." - The Forests of Leng

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu May 02, 2013 1:24 am 

Mars wrote in FRP made easy:
Maybe I shoot too high in what I want out of these products since realistically, we are looking at around maybe 25 people who will want copies.

I bet you would be surprised at how many collectors aren't interested in the quality, they simply want a copy in their hands to read, use, or study.

Most the small press guys I run into that published something 30 years ago are flattered that someone remembers their self-published digest or module, and happy for anything they can sell it for at this late date.  They are especially puzzled that anyone would still want a copy, either the original or a reprint. While money doesn't motivate some of them, it does for others, especially if you offer them a fair price.

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu May 02, 2013 2:50 am 

Mars wrote in FRP made easy:Maybe I shoot too high in what I want out of these products since realistically, we are looking at around maybe 25 people who will want copies.

Depending on the exact item, that number could be high.

Areas of interest/knowledge: Harn, WFRP, Ars Magica, anything BRP based such as CoC, Runequest, Pendragon and all their related games

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu May 02, 2013 4:58 am 

I'd buy one, if the cost was around .10$ a page... which I guess means $65.

Those who can, don't. Those who should not, do.

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu May 02, 2013 6:07 am 

Mars wrote in FRP made easy:Maybe I shoot too high in what I want out of these products since realistically, we are looking at around maybe 25 people who will want copies.

...i am in of course!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu May 02, 2013 8:33 am 

I'm intrigued by this system and would love to see the work within.

Is there a way to reprint it in parts, keeping the costs down?  Are there pages that are fluff that aren't integral to the system itself?  Any way to do what was done for the 1st ed DMG (reduce the font size and margins)?

I might be interested...

~throwi

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu May 02, 2013 1:44 pm 

Mars wrote in FRP made easy: I have the electronic files from the authors.  

Can you at least help the other collectors in this forum that are interested in this item to be put in contact with the authors?

In this way, we would be able to ask them the same thing you asked: an electronic copy.

That would suffice, if a reprint is going to be so expensive and unlikely to ever take place.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu May 02, 2013 1:56 pm 

I am still working out options for a reprint - reformatting the document is one that would reduce the page count by a few hundred and then there are options on whether to print everything or not.

I only received PDFs of everything so I am inquiring about getting the original files where I can play with the formatting.  I will also ask about selling it as an electronic version.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu May 02, 2013 1:59 pm 

vault keeper wrote in FRP made easy:Can you at least help the other collectors in this forum that are interested in this item to be put in contact with the authors?

With the author's permission, I would happily put you in contact and let you deal with them directly too.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu May 02, 2013 2:05 pm 

Thank you, i would be grateful.

I look forward to hearing from you.

VK

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu May 02, 2013 6:34 pm 

vault keeper wrote in FRP made easy:....650 is a lot of pages for bringing it into print, maybe in electronic format? I don't know.

650 pages and the title is "FRP Made Easy?"  I think the title, "FRP Made Moderately Easy" might be more appropriate.   :roll:

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

Next