Bretts rpg Crowd funding (kickstarter/indigo etc)
Author

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed May 01, 2013 12:27 pm 

I'm more interested in what you think of the process at this point.  Does seeing all these late projects affect what you'll choose to fund in the future?  Have you seen any improvements as creators have (hopefully) learned over time?  I've backed about 1/10 of the projects you have, and I know I've become much more selective.

Areas of interest/knowledge: Harn, WFRP, Ars Magica, anything BRP based such as CoC, Runequest, Pendragon and all their related games

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed May 01, 2013 6:55 pm 

JasonZavoda wrote in Bretts rpg Crowd funding (kickstarter/indigo etc):Swords of Almuric sounds very cool. What are the details on that one? Do they have a webpage?

kickstarter page
Swords of Almuric: RPG Sword & Planet Setting based on REH by rui — Kickstarter

the first rule set has been released (looks like a version was released a year ago as well.. according to comments)
Swords of Almuric: Barbarians of Lemuria Edition - Red Ram Studios | DriveThruRPG.com

there is also a the Classic D&D version of Swords of Almuric almost finished..

Being healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed May 01, 2013 11:12 pm 

TheHistorian wrote in Bretts rpg Crowd funding (kickstarter/indigo etc):I'm more interested in what you think of the process at this point.  Does seeing all these late projects affect what you'll choose to fund in the future?  Have you seen any improvements as creators have (hopefully) learned over time?  I've backed about 1/10 of the projects you have, and I know I've become much more selective.

It will improve.. but sometimes its all about perceptions.. I've listed projects as late when they have listed a delivery date and they have gone over it.. I'm reminded a few years back of a story I heard.. seagate (pretty sure) was having a lot of warranty claims on their new hard drives, they apparently had, say, a 2 year warranty and a lot were failing.. they fixed the problem by reducing the warranty to 1 year.. what will prob happen is a lot more crowd funding projects will increase their delivery dates and hence the problem of being late is somewhat fixed...

It seems (due to the comments anyway compared to the numbers of backers etc) that a lot of people are prepared to wait for a product to be delivered.. there aren't that many public posts that are negative, sure there are some and I expect that a lot more in private emails etc.. but, as with myself I haven't followed up these at all till now.. I'm more concerned with the quality (and even if its delivered).. if you are just writing it how much time are they taking to playtest etc it? New Systems take years to properly playtest IMHO..

A very successful crowdfunding campaign can ruin your reputation .. I think they should stick to the basics.. they want money for 1 book.. then do that.. deliver on that and then worry about the next 5 books.. a lot of these people can't get 1 book out on time let alone 5+.. the same with "lifetime" pds/ products.. these "stretch" goals are just a minefield me thinks.. I think the true test is what (and in some case when) product gets delivered.. if a product is delivered then its a success, if not its a failure.. that will be the factor that will effect the long term viability of crowdfunding..

Brette:)

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu May 02, 2013 2:56 am 

beasterbrook wrote in Bretts rpg Crowd funding (kickstarter/indigo etc):I think they should stick to the basics.. they want money for 1 book.. then do that.. deliver on that and then worry about the next 5 books.. a lot of these people can't get 1 book out on time let alone 5+.. the same with "lifetime" pds/ products.. these "stretch" goals are just a minefield me thinks.

Agreed.  Stretch goals sound wonderful, but they're the quagmire of the whole process.

Areas of interest/knowledge: Harn, WFRP, Ars Magica, anything BRP based such as CoC, Runequest, Pendragon and all their related games

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri May 03, 2013 2:58 am 

Thanks for posting this Brette. I joined Kickstarter to fund Bill's project but am hooked as well. I have supported just 19 projects at this stage. You point out some interesting pitfalls here - which will be useful to me.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri May 24, 2013 12:57 am 

JasonZavoda wrote in Bretts rpg Crowd funding (kickstarter/indigo etc):Swords of Almuric sounds very cool. What are the details on that one? Do they have a webpage?

came in today..

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun May 26, 2013 7:10 am 

beasterbrook wrote in Bretts rpg Crowd funding (kickstarter/indigo etc):

came in today..

A review of it would be cool!

"You get more with a kind word and an excruciator than with just a kind word."

Last edited by JasonZavoda on Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:40 am 

Updated the first 100.. couple came in (and some of those I had to chase).. a lot are a further 3 mths late.. been progress on most .. some close to fulfilling.. 1 or 2 placed in the "doesn't look good" basket...

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:00 am 

Watching this thread with interest Brette.

My stats. I have now backed 50 projects, 34 of them of them games. The number of projects completed is 7 (only two are games). Of the seven complete, 6 were on time, 1 was late. Of the projects I am backing 6 (all games) are now overdue.

The coolest non-game items I have backed are the Space Telescope (where you get a space selfie taken orbiting the earth) and a short SciFi film (quite a laugh to see ones name role down in the acknowledgements!)

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:24 pm 

two implosions by the looks

Sailing the Starlit Sea
Sailing the Starlit Sea by Allen Taliesin » Updates — Kickstarter
Just posted stating refund comming and project canceled as taking too long.. was due aug 2012.. a year a 2 mths late so far..

Nightfall by Fun Tyrant‏
Nightfall by Fun Tyrant » Under New Management — Kickstarter

ran out of money,others taking over, hope to get it to you..
"I heard a rumor that the money was gone.
This is unfortunately true."

Previous