Some Obscure Super-Hero RPG Books - Gauging rarity
Author

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:27 am 

I figured this is really the go-to place for RPG aficionados who know their stuff about which book is obscure or not, etc.

I have a number of items I'm getting rid of soon, but I'd like to know what to expect.

Someone once told me that old Chill RPG materials are obscure; I've got 2 books under "Pacesetter" here (Horrors from the Unknown and Campaign Book), but I don't think too much of them.

Back in the day, I'd consider myself knowledgeable about super-hero RPGs, but these days I don't quite know.  I have the following:

Guardians (StarChilde pubs)
Super Squadron (a super-strange Australian-sourced RPG)
a bunch of old Marvel, Champions, Villains & Vigilantes and Golden Heroes scenarios
A weird Judge's Guild print of Break in at Three Kilometer Island for V&V

Are there lists out there to check against?

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:13 am 

For anything Judges Guild: Judges Guild Booty List

For Break in at Three Kilometer Island you might get $2-3

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:16 am 

Super hero RPGs don't tend to sell very well so are not worth very much.

BITD, Pacesetter stuff was probably obscure because it wasn't quite main stream enough for most stores to carry but there is still lots of old Pacesetter stock out there so they aren't too difficult to find.  Probably if you could get $10 each you are doing fairly well.

Super Squadron is another one that I think you can still get from new old stock.

Probably the one that holds the most value is the TSR Marvel Super Heroes because it was the most produced and widely available so more people were exposed to it and collect it now.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:17 pm 

Mars wrote in Some Obscure Super-Hero RPG Books - Gauging rarity:Probably the one that holds the most value is the TSR Marvel Super Heroes because it was the most produced and widely available so more people were exposed to it and collect it now.

I'd say they're more likely to sell due to familiarity/interest, but they're also pretty widely available, so I wouldn't expect them to bring a lot.  They're freely available (I'm unclear on the legal status) as pdfs too.

I don't know a ton about hero games, but the only main line items I recall seeing bringing decent money are Villains & Vigilantes 1E and Wings Of The Valkyrie (for Champions).

Areas of interest/knowledge: Harn, Pendragon, WFRP, Ars Magica, anything BRP based, CoC, Runequest

Planning: BRP/Harn

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:22 pm 

I did a search against what I have and decided all the Champions/HERO stuff is going in one big lot because it's just not too popular.

One of the Marvel books I have went for $30-ish (Fantastic Four compendium), but that was near mint; mine is completely beat, so that is going in as part of a big Marvel lot.

Silver Age Sentinels, Underground, Brave New World, V&V, Aberrant... none of the items are selling well, so it seems that lots are where it's at.

The only thing that seems to be good on its own is Golden Heroes, which is an old Games Workshop supers RPG.  I've got two modules, and one of them went for a bit on its own in a completed listing.  I'm not sure why that is; possibly the quality?

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:26 pm 

Golden Heros can be found maily in the UK, faily uncommon in the USA.. sometimes people want to buy from USA as shipping internationally (ie UK to USA) is quite a bit expensive

Brette:)

Being healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:42 am 

I sold some Aberrant books to a guy over on rpg.net.  I did not have all the ones he was looking for, so you might post there.

If all else fails, immortality can always be assured by spectacular error. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:10 pm 

The rarest Super Hero RPG should be Vindicators (only rulebook and one supplement). I didn't see it for sale more than twice.

Adventures in Austerion : a fantasy RPG, with boardgame mechanisms and modular battlemap. By Guillaume Tavernier and Géraud G.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:23 pm 

Agreed.  I have seen more copies of Supergame than Vindicators.  Is the supplement you are thinking of "Vindicators Plus"?  Just confirming I am complete.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:15 pm 

Yes, Vindicators plus. I don't know if Northridge Games did another game or supplement for another game. (vindicators does not mention Northridge Games, only the supplement)

Adventures in Austerion : a fantasy RPG, with boardgame mechanisms and modular battlemap. By Guillaume Tavernier and Géraud G.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed May 01, 2013 12:26 am 

I've got Chaosium's SuperWorld and as many supplements as I could grab at the time (Dr. Drugs or whatever), and I think that might be pretty rare.  Not giving it up easily.

Surprisingly to me, my current Marvel SAGA auction :

** eBay auction listing blocked.  Please enable cookies in your browser for this site and for eBay! **

is almost at $60.  I didn't realize it is as popular as it is.  Is there any reason, or should I be asking the buyers that?

In other news, with 24 hours left, the two Golden Heroes modules have barely broken $1.00 each.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun May 05, 2013 8:49 pm 

OK, so apparently the item to beat, which topped both my Horror on the Orient Express AND my Cthulhu Deities and Demigods, is indeed TSR's Marvel SAGA, as long as it has the 96 FATE cards intact (regardless of whether or not it has the 4 additional promo cards).

The auction I did went to $81.

Which, well I guess it's TSR so it belongs in the other forum, but let's be honest: when you think TSR, you think D&D, and then maybe something else, then maybe Marvel, and even then not SAGA.

Next up was Villains and Vigilantes (plus some other V&V books and some non-rare JG stuff), as it had some errata printings that are apparently obscure ($57).  Who knew?

The Golden Heroes RPG items didn't go as high as Completed Listings made me think they would, but at over $5 each, they do make me slightly regret not separating some auctions out.

I probably could have separated out the Champions and Feng Shui and nickle-n-dimed them, but that was more work than I wanted, so someone might have got a deal there.  Definitely someone won big with the Sailor Moon RPG (plus Silver Age Sentinels and the Authority sourcebook) for less than $10.

Didn't expect an older Mutants & Masterminds rulebook to get more than $5, but it did make less than $10...

That's about all that was notable to report.  Cairo Guidebook went for a little over cost ($20.50), so that was good considering I ruined the last couple pages when I first got it (100% documented on the auction!)

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sun May 05, 2013 11:02 pm 

JoshDM wrote in Some Obscure Super-Hero RPG Books - Gauging rarity:OK, so apparently the item to beat, which topped both my Horror on the Orient Express

I knew prices were down for HotOE due to the Kickstarter reprint, but wow... that's lower than I would have figured, especially for a complete copy.

Areas of interest/knowledge: Harn, Pendragon, WFRP, Ars Magica, anything BRP based, CoC, Runequest

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon May 06, 2013 8:05 am 

Surprising... The last ones still sold for more than $100 (way lower than before kickstarter of course)

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed May 08, 2013 1:05 am 

Exactly.  Prices are down, but I'd figure it should still bring around $100.