Call of Cthulhu Question
Author

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:45 am 

My Call of Cthulhu collection is abysmal.

I was wondering if any of the released products have a map of R'lyeh. Or, at least a breakdown of motifs, themes, ideas, concepts... known locations, people, etc.

I'm planning on running a multi-system game starting with Earthdawn (which is where the city will first be encountered) and moving the group forward through time until they get to Gamma World. There will be stops in Deadlands, Shadowrun, Call of Cthulhu (Victorian and 1960s), and Toon (yeah, yeah.)

Those who can, don't. Those who should not, do.

Last edited by copycat on Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:18 am 

Shadows of Yog-Sothoth has a map of R'lyeh (both a players and a keepers), along with information about other interesting features and effects that visitors will experience if they visit.

Check out my Chaosium sourcebook.
Secrets of Tibet

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:05 pm 

Excellent. Just reading the back cover gives me ideas for how the campaign can be mixed together.

Are there any supplements / resources that cover the years 1940 - 1970? It looks like maybe some of the Delta Green stuff would be helpful, specifically Countdown.

Thanks!

Those who can, don't. Those who should not, do.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:21 pm 

Atomic Age Cthulhu is 1950s.  I don't recall any 1940s material other than WWII material.

Areas of interest/knowledge: Harn, WFRP, Ars Magica, anything BRP based such as CoC, Runequest, Pendragon and all their related games

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:34 pm 

jasonw1239 wrote in Call of Cthulhu Question:Shadows of Yog-Sothoth has a map of R'lyeh.

Are you referring to a later edition? My 1982 copy shows an island outline with "danger zones" & a dot for the crypt of Cthulhu, but little detail.

Otherwise, I'd recommend going straight to the original: File:Map FM-Nan Madol.PNG - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:47 pm 

That is pretty much it for the map in the campaign book, but there is descriptions about what it is like traveling across the island,.

The following Smithsonian article and photo gallery of Nan Madol might come in handy.

Nan Madol: The City Built on Coral Reefs | History & Archaeology | Smithsonian Magazine

Secrets of Tibet

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:26 am 

You might have to mix-and-match some bits and pieces from other lost and strange cities in order to create a comprehensive city if R'lyeh, there is not much currently published in English that relates to it. Other than Shadows of Y-S, there is a scenario in issue #1 of Worlds of Cthulhu (magazine) that takes a modern special forces team into the lost city, and has a small map of the inside of a temple.

There might be some other material available, in other game systems, or even in French or German Call of Cthulhu - their material is amazing to look at.  ...but I suspect that for most you might have to come up with material old-school-styleee  :D

Let's go fly a kite
Up to the highest height!

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:13 am 

Timely post, because I'm going to start a CoC collection.

Right now I have two CoC rulebooks.

One of them must be 6th edition.
The other is from quite a while back ... cover art has a haunted house.

My kids and nephews enjoyed  Pathfinder BB, but they're not crazy about the high fantasy setting.

However, they love mysteries, so when I mentioned CoC and its 1920s setting, they were really intrigued!

Is there a site that has a good list of CoC products and collectibles?

And what is a good starting module for 12-14-year-old kids?

Thanks,
Keith

"Not all those who wander are lost." ~ J.R.R. Tolkien

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:04 pm 

Keith the Thief wrote in Call of Cthulhu Question:

Keith,

Main Page - CthulhuWiki

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:20 pm 

Sardan wrote in Call of Cthulhu Question:
Keith the Thief wrote in Call of Cthulhu Question:

Keith,

Main Page - CthulhuWiki

Awesome.  Thank you.

Any suggestions for a good starting adventure?

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:50 pm 

That's the best place to start, but I've been doing more research on my own (both for CoC and more broadly for all BRP-related games).  I'm hoping to come in for a landing and put up a site/blog this year with everything I've found (additional items, magazines, printing variations, etc).

Areas of interest/knowledge: Harn, WFRP, Ars Magica, anything BRP based such as CoC, Runequest, Pendragon and all their related games

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:08 pm 

For beginners in the Call of Cthulhu system, most people recommend a scenario called "The Haunted House".

If I am correct your rule book with the house on the cover should be the third edition hard cover.

Haunted House appears on page 84.

As a follow up, many Call of Cthulhu fans recommend Mansions of Madness.

Mansions of Madness Chaosium Inc.

BONUS: Chaosium is currently having a sale on purchases from their web site. It would give you a chance to pick up a few of the newer items to add to your collection.

NOTE: The following is information from the sale mail out from Chaosium.

FREE SHIPPING ALERT: We offer free shipping for U.S. orders over $60.00. Please allow 7-10 days for arrival. This feature triggers automatically for qualifying U.S. orders.

OVERSEAS SHIPMENTS: we haven't forgotten you! Orders to overseas ship-to addresses can also earn free shipping for orders of $125.00 or more. To trigger FREE SHIPPING, you must enter the secret I WANT FREE SHIPPING code in the REDEEM COUPON space during checkout. Such orders are sent out by space-bound byakhee, so will take some time to arrive.

Secrets of Tibet

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:51 pm 

jasonw1239 wrote in Call of Cthulhu Question:For beginners in the Call of Cthulhu system, most people recommend a scenario called "The Haunted House".

If I am correct your rule book with the house on the cover should be the third edition hard cover.

Haunted House appears on page 84.

As a follow up, many Call of Cthulhu fans recommend Mansions of Madness.

Mansions of Madness Chaosium Inc.

BONUS: Chaosium is currently having a sale on purchases from their web site. It would give you a chance to pick up a few of the newer items to add to your collection.

NOTE: The following is information from the sale mail out from Chaosium.

And for anybody that doesn't want to buy the 3rd edition rulebook you can download an apparently slightly modified version of the Haunted House here:
http://www.chaosium.com/forms/coc_quick_start_color.pdf

I think I'll go ahead and buy Mansions of Madness.  
One of the drawbacks of being a compulsive collector, I guess.  
I'll out-kick my coverage and wind up with a dozen CoC books before I ever roll a single die.  
So it goes :)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:32 am 

The Chaosium sale is usually pretty good.  I normally buy $120+ of stuff to get free shipping to the UK.  And it tends to arrive very quickly as well.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:39 pm 

Generally 30% off, twice a year (roughly spring and Halloween).  It does have the effect that I end up waiting for those sales.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:48 pm 

Sardan wrote in Call of Cthulhu Question:The Chaosium sale is usually pretty good.  I normally buy $120+ of stuff to get free shipping to the UK.  And it tends to arrive very quickly as well.

Sounds like Paizo could learn a thing or two about shipping from Chaosism.

I swear, I could drop a dungeon module in the mail here in Alabama and get it to Washington state by Thursday.
Paizo's shipping would take 10 or 11 days.