Values on old Role Aids products?
Author

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:34 am 

Sorry if this has been posted before, but is there a list anywhere of the old Role Aids products with their values? I've come into possession of a couple and wanted to know for trade purposes.

Shottglazz

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:51 am 

Shottglazz wrote in Values on old Role Aids products?:Sorry if this has been posted before, but is there a list anywhere of the old Role Aids products with their values? I've come into possession of a couple and wanted to know for trade purposes.

Times  may have changed but my experience is that Role-Aids products (with a few notable exceptions) are low value. I believe that a good deal of the product line was sold at a discount for years after its publication. I've heard that, for the most part, they are of fairly low quality. There are some folder versions that are collectible, but I don't know what demand there is for them, high or low.

"You get more with a kind word and an excruciator than with just a kind word."

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:50 am 

Thanks Jason - I've seen prices from about $10USD to $170USD for most on Amazon, eBay and Noble Knight...very few copies I've found of the two I have, which made me hopeful...

Shottglazz

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:58 am 

Which 2 do you have?  That might be easier.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:59 am 

I have Shadows of Evil and Evil Ruins...

Shottglazz

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:00 am 

JasonZavoda wrote:Times  may have changed but my experience is that Role-Aids products (with a few notable exceptions) are low value. I believe that a good deal of the product line was sold at a discount for years after its publication. I've heard that, for the most part, they are of fairly low quality. There are some folder versions that are collectible, but I don't know what demand there is for them, high or low.

If you replace "Role-Aids" with "TSR" the statement above is also basically true.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:04 am 

Shottglazz wrote in Values on old Role Aids products?:I have Shadows of Evil and Evil Ruins...

These two are fairly common - in the $5-$10 range.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:05 am 

Thanks Mars - I was going to value them at $10 each for trade purposes - that works nicely...

Shottglazz

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:13 pm 

The list here is complete: TSR Dungeons & Dragons Archive: Role Aids  (keen observers will see Demons listed twice - the folder version is the 1st print, the box set is 2nd)

The first five listed in the Adventures section are the valuable ones, varying in the $60-200+ range.  These were the earliest releases, and as you can see, produced in fairly plain colored folders.

Everything else is pretty common, and Mars' estimate at $5-10 is reasonable.  A couple early ones like Question Of Gravity and Tower Of Magicks might add $2-5 in nice shape.  The box sets, by their nature, bring a bit more, say $10-20.

Areas of interest/knowledge: Harn, WFRP, Ars Magica, anything BRP based such as CoC, Runequest, Pendragon and all their related games

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:30 pm 

Awesome list Historian - thanks!

Shottglazz

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:36 pm 

besides the eight city-state products, mayfair also made a set of fantasy character sheets (stock code 815) that many people might not be aware of.

Shrink is not a condition

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:57 pm 

"the Keep" in my opinion does a bit better than the others too..

Didn't notice that Demons btw.. think I only have the boxed version.. Thanks..

Brette:)

Being healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:38 pm 

Kobold Hall is the rarest, and in good condition should run well over $200. Blasted is next, then Beastmaker, then Valley of Trees, then Nanorien, as far as rarity. However, Nanorien and Valley have several different folder color. Valley is typically blue and Nanorien green, but red, orange and yellow ones exist. IIRC there is an insert that came with them, but is often missing.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:57 pm 

Other way around.  Valley is usually green and Nanorien blue.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:42 am 

Deadlord wrote in Values on old Role Aids products?:Kobold Hall is the rarest. Blasted is next, then Beastmaker, then Valley of Trees, then Nanorien, as far as rarity.

Agreed.  The gap between the first two and the other three is pretty significant, and I'd say Valley and Nanorien are quite close.

However, Nanorien and Valley have several different folder color. Valley is typically blue and Nanorien green, but red, orange and yellow ones exist.

Beastmaker is usually red.  I've seen yellow too.
Valley is usually green.  I think I've also seen brown.
Nanorien is usually blue.  Not sure if I've seen variations.
Kobold and Blasted are orange.  Haven't seen variations.

IIRC there is an insert that came with them, but is often missing.

Valley, Nanorien, and (I think) Beastmaker have one page product list sheets that are indeed often missing.

Areas of interest/knowledge: Harn, WFRP, Ars Magica, anything BRP based such as CoC, Runequest, Pendragon and all their related games

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:23 am 

TheHistorian wrote in Values on old Role Aids products?:Valley, Nanorien, and (I think) Beastmaker have one page product list sheets that are indeed often missing.

I can confirm my Beastmaker has the cardstock product list.

I draw the line at collecting... D&D beach towels.

Shoulda been: ".. from Pangreenia to Floratopolis, from mystical Treeonia of spectral Forests to Schruborial dimensions." - The Forests of Leng

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:25 am 

Actually, speaking of the foldered Role Aids items, Nanorien and Valley came in SW, I would imagine the numbered ones (Blasted and Kobold) did not, what about Beastmaker... was it shinked?  (er, shrunk?, lol)

I draw the line at collecting... D&D beach towels.

Shoulda been: ".. from Pangreenia to Floratopolis, from mystical Treeonia of spectral Forests to Schruborial dimensions." - The Forests of Leng

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:37 pm 

Here's what  I can vouch for:

Beastmaker Mountain - ?
Nanorien Stones - SW
Fez I: Valley of the Trees - SW
Blasted Lands - SW
Kobold Hall - ?

I don't recall ever seeing Beastmaker Mountain or Kobold Hall in SW.  I know that mine are not.  I'll check my archive tonight to see if I have a record of any that are in SW.

Next