LAST 7 DAYS 1st Ed Character Sheet Pad Kickstarter
Author

Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:08 pm 

Last summer, I tried a small crowd-funding project to fund a print run of some B/X Character Sheet Pads.  It didn't make its funding goal (I suspect because of the unavoidably high cost of overseas postage and also because it was on Indiegogo rather than Kickstarter).

One of the good things that came out of that campaign was a spin-off DTP reworking of a 1978 1st Edition Character Sheet.  Everytime I looked at this sheet, I could not help thinking that it would be a great item to get printed and, if truth be told, it probably should have had star billing last time around.  So today I'm launching a new crowd-funding project for pads of my version the 1978 1st Edition Character Sheet (this time on Kickstarter, as they are now allowing UK projects).

kickstarter.com/projects/1730454032/adv ... -sheet-pad

Last edited by Oublileditor on Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:10 pm 

£7 doesn't seem too bad for a pad of 50 with postage. However, tbh with so many character sheets on the market for free online, I don't know if you'll make the goal. Good luck though.

Edit - although, in a way with the images posted, you've pretty much given this away as a free image.

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:43 pm 

If people are happy with the image I've posted then they're most welcome to it.  I'm not claiming any copyright on the design as that would be unreasonable.  For £1 though, backers will get a much higher quality PDF version and they'll be helping the project a little too.  I'm hoping there might be enough UK backers to get it funded as postage is unavoidably high to the US from the UK.

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:30 pm 

Looks cool. Very much like the 1978 D&D Character Sheets made by Games Workshop (which I always liked).

Let's go fly a kite
Up to the highest height!

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:01 pm 

I'd certainly pay for the PDF, not sure I'd use 50 sheets though tbh. But I'd pay for a dozen or even pay a few more £ for the PDF, just to help it run.

Just realised, it's £4 for the pad inc postage. It's a very fair price.

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:48 pm 

Well, you've sold another copy of each of your Oubliette magazine today, if nothing else :)

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:23 am 

I wondered if you have ideas for stretch goals if its worth adding then in, or making the higher end backing values something different? With practically anyone having a scanner/printer the purchase of the PDF or even just the 1 pad of 50 sheets would give a lifetime of scanned then printed sheets. I'd struggle to use 50 sheets, although £4 is well worth it. But for £30 I'd need something more than just a tonne of sheets.
I can't see it making the goal unfortunately, although it'd be good if you do.

Your Oubliette magazines are good though :)

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Last edited by ashmire13 on Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:43 am 

Marketing character sheets is tough, especially considering the proliferation of good free pdf sheets and the universalness of the home printer.

Mad Irishman has an amazing array of very good replica sheets for numerous game systems, downloadable in pdf for free:

http://www.mad-irishman.net/index.html

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:24 pm 

red_bus wrote:Looks cool. Very much like the 1978 D&D Character Sheets made by Games Workshop (which I always liked).

Except for the title at the top, so it doesn't say Dungeons & Dragons, I believe they're exactly same.

I always liked the alignment's position on the corner, so you can fold it under and hide it from prying eyes!

Areas of interest/knowledge: Harn, Pendragon, WFRP, Ars Magica, anything BRP based, CoC, Runequest

Planning: BRP/Harn

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:25 am 

These were our sheets of choice, always loved them. Yes probably a bit pointless for me to support this but I can't help that feel, for the low amount of cash involved that it would be a shame not to. I wish you good luck

Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:33 pm 

Thanks for the words of encouragement guys.  I agree a printed character sheet pad is somewhat out of place given the choice of very good PDF ones available out there.  This design is not so good for home printing (due to the amount of black and printing to the edge of the bottom right corner).  It's also a design that was very popular in the UK so with people buying the AD&D reprints a pad of these would be a nice addition to go with them.  If the project doesn't fund and all I get out of it is some publicity and a few sales of Oubliette back issues then I'll be happy with that.

A couple of years ago I designed some double-sided character sheets for use with Labyrinth Lord's AEC rules.  If anybody's interested in them they are still available as a free download from RPGNow.com

rpgnow.com/product/81241/Advanced-Chara ... Version%29

rpgnow.com/product/81242/Advanced-Chara ... Version%29

Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:51 pm 

UPDATE:

The PDFs of both sheets in the Kicksterter are now available as FREE downloads at RPGNow.com see the links below. I've also added a coupe of additional pledge options that include back issues of Oubliette making the the pads even better value.

rpgnow.com/product/110487/1st-Ed-Advanc ... cter-Sheet
rpgnow.com/product/110488/A5-B-X-OSR-Ch ... cter-Sheet

Collector

Post Posted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:48 pm 

Just one week left to go and the campaign is 80% of its goal. All we need are another 6 backers and these classic sheets will be back in print.

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:53 am 

I backed this one. Look forward to getting my sheets  :)