Lines you would collect but for the $
Author

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:03 pm 

Call of Cthulhu is the main one for me.  Currently I only have a few of the box sets (CoC Ruleset, Azathoth, Nyarlathotep & Gaslight) and a handful of the supplements/adventures.  I'd love to be able to collect the whole line including the more obscure non-Chaosium titles but they come up too rarely and go for more than I want to pay.

Another line of items I would love to have a complete set of is Wee Warriors.  Palace of the Vampire Queen, The Vanquished Foe and Dogtags is all I currently have.  The NTRPGCon reprints of Dwarven Glory and Misty Isles are nice but I want the real thing.

I've got most of the MERP stuff.  The artwork and maps were what drew me in.  Content is hit or miss.  Only missing a couple of the 2nd edition books that are priced way too high and kinda suck anyway.

Harn rocks!  :D

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:32 pm 

red_bus wrote:
Bracton wrote:I think they did a very good job of taking Tolkien's world, and making it work in the context of an FRP system.  Obviously a lot of it strays pretty far from the canon, but most was extremely well done, and very well researched.  The detail on landscapes, cities and towns, and personalities is remarkable.  It may not be everyone's idea of what Middle Earth should be like, but it certainly stays within the larger outlines of Tolkien's vision.  By definition, the translation to a game system tends to obscure some of the magic of the original.  Sauron just isn't quite so deeply frightening when he's reduced to an OB and a DB.  ... Of course, it doesn't hurt that most of the artwork is generally top notch, and the maps were probably the best I've seen outside of Harn.

+1 to this. Some MERP material is close to the books, some is less so, but all of it is beautiful. Maps and many of the illustrations are pretty much the high water mark of the first wave of 'realist' RPG art (although I have not seen much Harn, so cannot make a comparison).  

Best of all, the range of the material encouraged an open campaign style where the characters could wander far and wide, and the DM could put adventures almost anywhere or even in any age.  Now, it appears that licensing restrictions and game philosophy encourage a more narrow style of middle earth rpg material. e.g. play is restricted to one age and a few locations. ... Also, I love the fact that they explicitly tried to make the books adaptable to rival RPG systems with conversions to AD&D and other systems in the first few pages of every book. ... Beautiful, detailed, useful and friendly. what's not to like :)

Dear all,

I'll agree with Bracton and red bus here.

The one module that really stands out for me is The Court of Ardor.

Really glad I got this one at retail. Goes for a lot of money now and I think it's one of the more detailed campaigns available.

Best regards,
Ronald

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:46 pm 

I'm not sure if this counts, but I have always wanted to collect and use the Dwarven Forge line of products. Really cool for tabletop use, but very expensive considering the number of sets and accessories one would have to purchase. Just too costly for me.

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:32 pm 

stldnder wrote:I'm not sure if this counts, but I have always wanted to collect and use the Dwarven Forge line of products. Really cool for tabletop use, but very expensive considering the number of sets and accessories one would have to purchase. Just too costly for me.

They are awesome...

... yeah yeah yeah... use your imagination that's what D&D is all about...

... Until you see the same thing set up through a Dwarven Forge set...

Oh yeah...   :D

RPG’s, D&D in particular has had a major influence in my life. It’s bonded me together with life long friends...it’s that bond in life not just as friends, but in our jokes, our mannerisms, and what we find funny. Invincible Overlord

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:47 pm 

stldnder wrote:I'm not sure if this counts

Of course it counts!  Threads that I start like this are not intended to be restrictive.

Areas of interest/knowledge: Harn, WFRP, Ars Magica, anything BRP based such as CoC, Runequest, Pendragon and all their related games

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:09 pm 

Hi,

hmm, dunno.

We bought all the early DF sets. Poked them a bit. Never used them. They're still in their boxes.

Cheers,
KAL

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:39 pm 

Versimilitude wrote:Hi,

hmm, dunno.

We bought all the early DF sets. Poked them a bit. Never used them. They're still in their boxes.

Cheers,
KAL

I had them for a while as well.  They look nice but are very awkward to game with.  I tried setting it up before hand and covering the dungeon with sheets of cardboard and revealing one room at a time, that was alot of work and the cardboard kept getting knocked off.  I tried setting it up as we go (just hold on guys it will take me 20min to set up the room LOL).  Inevitably we went to a game mat we could draw on and graph paper (old school).
The boxes were collecting dust in my basement and one year I took them all to Gencon and sold them (on Strao's advice  :)  )  

I did not lose any money on them though as the price increases over the years covered the gencon fees.

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:46 am 

Well, if it's a game I used to play, fell out of it and tried to start up again in it's current incarnation, I'd have to say HERO, full stop.

I spent 12 years playing Champions, then dropped out of RPGs around D&D 3.5.  I recently wanted to start up with HERO again to play with my grandsons, but JEEZ!  I gotta go sell a kidney and a few pints of plasma to get the core books.  Not to mention the setting books (I don't know about Champions Complete - haven't followed the Kickstarter).

I now play Champions 4E (BBB) with the grandkids.  That one, to me, is the pinnacle of the game and it's still easy to find (8 bucks at HPB) and the supplements are still around and reasonably priced too.

-SJ

If I'm not me, who am I? And if I'm somebody else, why do I look like me?
-Popeye

Beblach!

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:33 am 

SmokestackJones wrote in Lines you would collect but for the $:Well, if it's a game I used to play, fell out of it and tried to start up again in it's current incarnation, I'd have to say HERO, full stop.

I spent 12 years playing Champions, then dropped out of RPGs around D&D 3.5.  I recently wanted to start up with HERO again to play with my grandsons, but JEEZ!  I gotta go sell a kidney and a few pints of plasma to get the core books.  Not to mention the setting books (I don't know about Champions Complete - haven't followed the Kickstarter).

I now play Champions 4E (BBB) with the grandkids.  That one, to me, is the pinnacle of the game and it's still easy to find (8 bucks at HPB) and the supplements are still around and reasonably priced too.

-SJ

I consider Champions (pre5e), and specifically, 2e with Champions II and III, the best RPG rules system ever designed. Character generation is fantastic. We played Champions for years. Never got old or dull.

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:04 am 

Kingofpain89 wrote in Lines you would collect but for the $:Call of Cthulhu is the main one for me.  Currently I only have a few of the box sets (CoC Ruleset, Azathoth, Nyarlathotep & Gaslight) and a handful of the supplements/adventures.  I'd love to be able to collect the whole line including the more obscure non-Chaosium titles but they come up too rarely and go for more than I want to pay.

I'm right there with you!  CoC is an awesome game and the products are really good.  Too many versions and printings have kept me from collecting it.  Plus, I haven't played it in awhile and my current groups aren't interested (at least at the moment).  

I play MERP on a monthly basis.  Our DM has a complete collection and I have about 90% of the first edition.  Collecting MERP is more about the world of Tolkien and the cool art and maps than it is about playing... ICE's system is chart heavy and slow - combat can take too long if there are no crits (watch out for that E crit when an 80 is rolled!)...  I prefer systems where combat is quick and only represents a small percentage of the adventure.  The prices of MERP products are pretty steep and have kept me from finishing - I don't think I've bought a MERP item after 2000.

I've focused on collecting TSR mostly but try to pick up other RPGs when I can.  Just finished Palladium's TMNT RPG line.  I may pick up other games to play more than collect.  

Forgot to add Traveller to the list.  Played it in high school and would love to go back to it again.

~throwi

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:58 pm 

bbarsh wrote in Lines you would collect but for the $:
SmokestackJones wrote in Lines you would collect but for the $:Well, if it's a game I used to play, fell out of it and tried to start up again in it's current incarnation, I'd have to say HERO, full stop.

-SJ

I consider Champions (pre5e), and specifically, 2e with Champions II and III, the best RPG rules system ever designed. Character generation is fantastic. We played Champions for years. Never got old or dull.

I would have to agree with you there, although I think 4E was the pinnacle.  The more I look at their current edition, the more I'm convinced 4E was their crown jewel.

-SJ

-Popeye

Beblach!

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:34 pm 

SmokestackJones wrote in Lines you would collect but for the $:I would have to agree with you there, although I think 4E was the pinnacle.  The more I look at their current edition, the more I'm convinced 4E was their crown jewel.

We're talking about D&D, right?

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:02 pm 

sauromatian wrote in Lines you would collect but for the $:
SmokestackJones wrote in Lines you would collect but for the $:I would have to agree with you there, although I think 4E was the pinnacle.  The more I look at their current edition, the more I'm convinced 4E was their crown jewel.

Ha
Ha
Ha

-SJ

-Popeye

Beblach!

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:40 am 

sauromatian wrote in Lines you would collect but for the $:

If you were starting at 3e, I would say yes :D

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu May 02, 2013 4:55 am 

Several...

Kickstarter projects (too many).
Dwarven Forge.
Reaper miniatures.
Citadel miniatures (only the 80s and primarily Blood Bowl).
Domesday Books.
Original manuscripts.

Those who can, don't. Those who should not, do.

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu May 02, 2013 12:53 pm 

throwi wrote in Lines you would collect but for the $:Forgot to add Traveller to the list.  Played it in high school and would love to go back to it again.

~throwi

I enjoyed Traveller quite a bit too.  I just haven't found enough players over the years that want to play.  But, that didn't stop me from collecting it...  :oops:

Ones that I would collect more, if not for the $:

Domesday books (not just the $ but the scarcity!)
Original manuscripts (have a few, and would like to collect more, but have a hard time justifying the $)
Tournament modules (Combination of scarcity and to many $)

Everything else is already fair game unfortunately...

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu May 02, 2013 1:14 pm 

dbartman wrote in Lines you would collect but for the $:I enjoyed Traveller quite a bit too.  I just haven't found enough players over the years that want to play.  But, that didn't stop me from collecting it...  :oops:

An interesting note about Traveller - I was introduced to Traveller by Chris Carstanjen from our high school D&D club.  He always tried to get me to play other systems beyond AD&D and with his insistence, I played so many more systems than I probably would have without his recommendations.  Although Chris wasn't a close friend, we played a lot of RPGs in HS and managed to bump in to each other occasionally afterwards.  

Tragically, he was killed in the second plane crash on 9/11 in NYC.  I didn't know it at the time, but I witnessed that very plane crash from the streets of NY that day.  Some strange, unexplainable linkage there.

Traveller is on my list to collect someday - mainly because it reminds me of Chris and how he opened up my mind to playing all different systems.  I can never thank him for that now but I'll never forget him for it.

http://www.oit.umass.edu/about/christof ... rial-award

~throwi

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri May 03, 2013 3:02 am 

Actually one that has eluded me is EOTP. I always wanted to start with a nice condition original set and missed out a number of times and sort of put it in the too hard basket.

PreviousNext